1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Hair Thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by APK, Mar 16, 2011.

1. APK

APK Senior member

I'll certainly edit the OP if people want to share some sites. We could even put together a list of products to try for desired hairstyles.

2. ThomSquared

ThomSquared Senior member

I have been using Bumble and Bumble Sumotech for the last 2 years or so and am starting to dislike it more and more as my hair gets thinner and thinner so I'm considering either trying to (really hard to do) use less of it in my hair or try a new product altogether. Any recommendations? Also I shampoo every night which doesn't help at all I'm sure, using Nioxin stage 2 at the moment, how many times would you guys suggest a week?

3. thewallychamp

thewallychamp Senior member

i have super thick hair, wavy, and probably wash with water only once a week.
    forget all that shampoo nonsense

4. APK

APK Senior member

I have been using Bumble and Bumble Sumotech for the last 2 years or so and am starting to dislike it more and more as my hair gets thinner and thinner so I'm considering either trying to (really hard to do) use less of it in my hair or try a new product altogether. Any recommendations? Also I shampoo every night which doesn't help at all I'm sure, using Nioxin stage 2 at the moment, how many times would you guys suggest a week?

I've only used Sumowax, but don't really care for it. I've found it makes my hair too heavy, even though I've read many customer reviews claiming the opposite. I don't use much of it, either.

Honestly, I've gotten better hold without the added weight from a combo of Got2B glue and John Frieda All-Out Hold hairspray.

Is there a reason you shampoo every night? Most people agree that it's not necessary unless you're sweating a ton. Even then, you can probably get away with rinsing instead of shampooing a lot of the time.

Nioxin, I should mention, doesn't do anything with regards to hair loss. I'm not sure if you're aware of that, but it's a common misconception that it does. That stems from its thickening properties, which can create the illusion of hair restoration.

Even then, I found it to do little in regards to thickening. I don't shampoo much anymore, but would still like one that actually thickens. I've heard great things about Aveda Pure Abundance. It's pricey, but you can stretch it a ways if you aren't shampooing often. I've got a similarly sized bottle of my current shampoo, which I've had for more than a year.

5. cimabue

cimabue Senior member

I shampoo once a week. [​IMG]

I have the thickest waviest hair ever. The barber says I haveenough for a bout five normal people.

Lucky jerk.

Great hair = great life.

6. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

I was contemplating making this thread for months, finally.

GJ!

I hope you didn't waste away too much of your life in the past months contemplating the 17 seconds it would have taken you to create this thread.

7. Rohan

Rohan Member

I have incredibly fine/thin hair that loves to lay flat. I've been using American Crew Fiber for a while now and I really like it because it gives a decent amount of hold and it still lets me run my hands through my hair. However, the one problem I keep running into is that it really only lasts for a few hours before it falls right back down.

Are there any similar products that would have a longer lasting hold?

8. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

Are you blowdrying your hair when you style it? That helps a lot with hold.

9. xCrunchx

xCrunchx Senior member

Definitely put Gatsby moving rubber purple and green on the OP so everyone knows cheap easy hair products. [​IMG] Ebay is defs the cheapest got some for $6 (80g container) free shipping worldwide.

10. randallr

randallr Senior member

I used to have to rely on product to give my hair texture. Now, I use little to none as I've found that washing my hair every other day, or periodically in some cases, works to maintain texture itself. Surprisingly, after a while of an intermittent washing schedule, I find that my hair is no longer greasy after missing a shower as it once would be. This, I believe, is due to the fact that I was probably overcompensating and producing more oils when I was washing my hair more often, since with every washing you strip a great deal of essential oils from your scalp.

Anyone else experience something similar to this?

I do this.

11. libertine1

libertine1 Member

Need some help here. My hair is quite thick, short ish and when it gets to any kind of length it starts to curl a little bit at the ends which is really annoying. How can I get my hair like this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance

12. Timbaland

Timbaland Senior member

So I noticed my hair is kind of tangled when I put American Crew fiber in it. Like I run my hand through my hair when styling it and it pulls when I get near the tips. Is this from the fiber or is it probably from the shampoo I am using?

13. willpower

willpower Senior member

Need some help here. My hair is quite thick, short ish and when it gets to any kind of length it starts to curl a little bit at the ends which is really annoying. How can I get my hair like this... Thanks in advance
    Choices 1) Keep your hair at pre-curl length. My hair gets curly at a certain length and it starts looking horrible. I get it cut to a length where it's all straight. 2) Use a straightener and curling iron to keep the ends straight 3) Get a Brazilian Keratin Treatment at the salon, which will keep all of your hair completely straight for 3-4 months.
    So I noticed my hair is kind of tangled when I put American Crew fiber in it. Like I run my hand through my hair when styling it and it pulls when I get near the tips. Is this from the fiber or is it probably from the shampoo I am using?
    Probably the fiber. You're liquefying it between your palms before you apply it, right? Check out this guy's Youtube channel.

14. VaultRamp

VaultRamp New Member

Well, I assume I should post this here since it has to do with my hair. I'm looking for advice as to what type of hairstyle I should get. I've had it long for a good while now, although it's almost always up in a ponytail while I wear a hat.

http://i51.tinypic.com/a8hea.jpg

Anyway, here's me like an hour ago. Taken with a cellphone since I don't actually own a good camera. So exactly what type of hairstyle do you think would look best on me? I'm wanting something new, and I'm comfortable with what I have so I don't want to mess it up by getting a haircut that looks bad.

15. willpower

willpower Senior member

Well, I assume I should post this here since it has to do with my hair. I'm looking for advice as to what type of hairstyle I should get. I've had it long for a good while now, although it's almost always up in a ponytail while I wear a hat.

http://i51.tinypic.com/a8hea.jpg

Anyway, here's me like an hour ago. Taken with a cellphone since I don't actually own a good camera. So exactly what type of hairstyle do you think would look best on me? I'm wanting something new, and I'm comfortable with what I have so I don't want to mess it up by getting a haircut that looks bad.

Look at pics of Taylor Hawkins from the Foo Fighters

16. VaultRamp

VaultRamp New Member

Will do, thanks. My moustache seems to resemble his slightly. Hah

17. torresdylan48

torresdylan48 New Member

hello,im new here and its nice to be here.

18. Jabonator

Jabonator Senior member

What's up with everybody, I shampoo my hair every morning. [​IMG] Doing it wrong?

19. xCrunchx

xCrunchx Senior member

it depends on if your hair is oily then shampoo but if it isn't shampooing is going to make it dry and flaky.

Anyways i watched some slikhaar TV on youtube, the guy has decent hairstyles some are actually pretty good.

20. mediafred

mediafred Active Member

What type of gels are out there that I could use to style my hair, and then just wash it out with water without having to use shampoo?