• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official flannel suit appreciation thread.

J011yroger

Reaction score
I just got my first, a beautiful medium gray chalk-stripe.

I've always had a special place in my heart for them, and searched for a thread like the tweed or black-tie ones to no avail.

I'm curious as to what shirts, ties, and shoes you guys prefer to wear with them.

Post pictures, discuss, ogle, whatever.

J

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. I've been wearing a mid-grey flannel 3B in a Loro Piana cashmere/wool blend from Eredi Pasano lately here in NYC, since it seems like we haven't topped 20 degrees in months. I generally wear the suit with a pair of dark oak EG oxfords, although I did go with chestnut antique EG Falkirks on Thursday evening when I paired the suit with the beige cashmere buttown down vest that I picked up at the Drake's sale. But Unbelragazzo is right - I think the mid-grey flannel suit looks downright decadent with my JL Phillips II in Parisian Brown suede.

J011yroger

Reaction score
I feel like they cry for a fluffy or textured tie; shantung, wool, cashmere, but not a knit.

J

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been itching for a new flannel. The only one in my rotation is an impulse buy bespoke DB in navy with a chunky white chalk stripe. Full-on Al Capone

G

Griffindork

I keep going back-and-forth between the 14 ounce fox mid gray and french navy for my next suit. Flannel is great in new york city.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a nice article in The Rake a few months ago. I've scanned it in, but if I'm guilty of some horrible rights-infringement then someone let me know.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you right-click and select "open in new tab" they can be read properly.

kaizo

Reaction score
Hi I am in the market for a light or mid grey flannel windowpane 2 piece suit in London for around £200. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi I am in the market for a light or mid grey flannel windowpane 2 piece suit in London for around £200. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

You mean besides get some more money?

kaizo

Reaction score
Yup times are tough and need to try and the get the best out of what you have.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yup times are tough and need to try and the get the best out of what you have.

I would say keep your eyes peeled for a nice used one, or just don't get one. A flannel windowpane suit isn't one of the first three or four you should have, IMHO, and if you have more than that, you don't really need a new suit and might as well wait until you can either spend more money or luck into a good one at a thrift store or on eBay in your size.

kaizo

Reaction score
I would say keep your eyes peeled for a nice used one, or just don't get one. A flannel windowpane suit isn't one of the first three or four you should have, IMHO, and if you have more than that, you don't really need a new suit and might as well wait until you can either spend more money or luck into a good one at a thrift store or on eBay in your size.

Thanks for your advice and just for the sake of reference I currently have a charcoal birds eye suit, royal blue suit and chocolate brown suit.

I think I will wait a bit longer in that case. How much would you reckon is a good idea to invest in a grey flannel suit?

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks for your advice and just for the sake of reference I currently have a charcoal birds eye suit, royal blue suit and chocolate brown suit.

I think I will wait a bit longer in that case. How much would you reckon is a good idea to invest in a grey flannel suit?

You already have basically one conservative suit and two that are more particular. Unless you have very little occasion for wearing business suits, and also very little occasion for wearing suits in general, I would suggest getting just a solid navy or maybe mid-grey for your next suit. Just a suggestion to think about.

As for how much to spend...it's an impossible question to answer. Half of this forum seems devoted to what qualities one should look for in a suit and how much you should have to pay to get them. Take a look around and see what the differences are between suits at different price points and decide what's important to you, and which cuts fit you best.

Last edited:

kaizo

Reaction score

You already have basically one conservative suit and two that are more particular. Unless you have very little occasion for wearing business suits, and also very little occasion for wearing suits in general, I would suggest getting just a solid navy or maybe mid-grey for your next suit. Just a suggestion to think about.

As for how much to spend...it's an impossible question to answer. Half of this forum seems devoted to what qualities one should look for in a suit and how much you should have to pay to get them. Take a look around and see what the differences are between suits at different price points and decide what's important to you, and which cuts fit you best.

Thanks for your reply again. From the sounds of it its probably better to get a more staple option. I'll look around for a mid-grey sharkskin or something of the sort.

Price wise I'll probably look at the suit and let that decide. I usually reserve £50 ish for alteration so hopefully I'll find something nice.

Thanks for the help again.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads