• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Padmore & Barnes master race

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1270095

What do you guys think of this Drakes x The Rake chore coat? I think it looks pretty cool. $805 on Drake's site but $725 on the Rake's. I didn't check shipping/tax difference yet.
If you order this on The Rake with their 5% off coupon it comes to $688 with free shipping.

Still insanely overpriced so I will pass for now.

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score
I know it's probably been covered but is it worth splashing out the extra cash for the Clifford desert boot compared to Astorflex's model?

I have both the moc toe and regular chukkas, but definitely prefer the moc toes, going to pick up another pair this christmas. I would avoid the astroflex and just splash on the drakes model, they have a better shape for smart casual outfits

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think of Drake's as mainly an accessory store. I like their ties and scarves but have yet to see many clothing items that really resonate with me. Their current stuff is either oddly out of place/simply goofy (cotton suits in winter, silly letter sweaters, sweatpants in their latest collaboration, etc.) and/or majorly overpriced (chore coat I mentioned above, orange castentino fleece top, $1600 for wool/nylon blazer, etc.).

I'm sure their shirts are nice but I don't have any.

Their ties and scarves are superb and fairly unique. Not sure who I would compare them to as Drake's accessories always stand out to me.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took it and told them I was not interested the directions they were hinting at. Doubt I am their target audience anyway!

I seriously wish them success and good luck but am wavering on patronizing them in the future. I used to get all my Drake's stuff from Barneys New York who stocked the more CM accessories but that option is disappearing.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

lemmy127

Reaction score
I still think of Drake's as mainly an accessory store. I like their ties and scarves but have yet to see many clothing items that really resonate with me. Their current stuff is either oddly out of place/simply goofy (cotton suits in winter, silly letter sweaters, sweatpants in their latest collaboration, etc.) and/or majorly overpriced (chore coat I mentioned above, orange castentino fleece top, $1600 for wool/nylon blazer, etc.).

I'm sure their shirts are nice but I don't have any.

Their ties and scarves are superb and fairly unique. Not sure who I would compare them to as Drake's accessories always stand out to me.

Interesting. The clothing really resonates with me. I made the quip about the ALD collaboration last week, but that was only because I don't like streetwear.

To me, the vast majority of Drake's clothing lives in the middle of a spectrum where the likes of J. Press and O'Connell's lives on one end, and Rowing Blazers is on the other end. They have a really fun, whimsical take on Ivy style that doesn't take itself too seriously, but is still work appropriate in all but the most stuffy/strict settings. That's what draws me in. I don't have to wear a jacket and tie, but chose to, and have some fun with it since I can. If their sizing worked for me (shirt shoulders too narrow and no long sized jackets) and I had the cash, my work wardrobe would probably be +80% Drake's.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. The clothing really resonates with me. I made the quip about the ALD collaboration last week, but that was only because I don't like streetwear.

To me, the vast majority of Drake's clothing lives in the middle of a spectrum where the likes of J. Press and O'Connell's lives on one end, and Rowing Blazers is on the other end. They have a really fun, whimsical take on Ivy style that doesn't take itself too seriously, but is still work appropriate in all but the most stuffy/strict settings. That's what draws me in. I don't have to wear a jacket and tie, but chose to, and have some fun with it since I can. If their sizing worked for me (shirt shoulders too narrow and no long sized jackets) and I had the cash, my work wardrobe would probably be +80% Drake's.
That's really neat, actually. It's cool to have a store that can suit that high a percentage of your needs. I run into the short jacket length issue with Ring Jacket myself.

I think it's the slightly-cartoonish whimsy of Drake's current offerings (and some of the pricing) that throws me off. I really like the look of The Armoury and Anglo-Italian in particular. Their take on CM really works for me.

I'm not an Ivy Style guy so J. Press (there's a store here in DC a few blocks from my office), O'Connell's, and Rowing Blazer don't really interest me. If I want something that's just a bit whimsical then Paul Stuart or Sid Mashburn are there.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads