• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think this is the look Chad was going for, except swapping the white trainers for dainty shoes.
FE7999F7-BF50-4FEB-BD93-E52ACE206083.jpeg

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sigh.

More reflexive distractions from Drake's turn to ridiculousness? I think I'm one more seasonal look book away from ditching this brand permanently.

Chiming in with my $ 0.02, I felt this way a few look books ago, possibly S/S ‘18, or F/W ‘18, not sure, it I felt like they were losing me as a customer, and moving away from what I had previously loved about Drakes. Then, later that same season, I had a chance to attend a trunk show and see the seasons offering in person. Did I love every item? No, there are some casual offerings/street ware type items that are just not for me. Buuut, there were still great ties, scarves, shirts, knit ware, and tailoring. For me, I particularly love the shirts, and enjoy the MTM/MTO option, where I can enjoy their fabric selection, but have the sleeves shortened a bit for a better fit. And their OCBDs while not cheap, have (IMHO) the best collar role going today.

This past season, I ended up getting an over shirt (one of those casual items I had previously rejected), but I did wait until the sale to experiment.

Then they started their MTM tailoring program offering their soft shouldered jackets and suits with your choice of fabrics and detailing, including pocket configuration (you can opt to not have the patch ticket pocket, or patch pockets at all if that’s your desire). I ordered a sport coat and the end result is not one of my worn S/S sport coats.

In the end, do I love every item and every lookook? No, certainty not. But I am confident that Drakes will continue to be a brand that I will return to season after season despite how different or wired to me, the lookbook errr..... ummm looks.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hpreston, could you elaborate on your experience with the MTM programme? How did the process go, what about fabric selection and price? There’s preciously little info on the website.

pleatedjeans

Reaction score
The new expedition parka reminds me of the Cabourn Everest parka. I quite like it. It has a major flaw, though, which everyone who's ever been in the real cold for a prolonged amount of time would know: it doesn't have a hood. That's a big "no, no", and shows it's not suited for the really cold weather.

View attachment 1241005 View attachment 1241006

If anyone is liking this, Abercrombie re-released their ultra parka which has a shearling collar and a removable hood. It's the best $180ish (on sale) I've spent on a coat. Finishing is really good, details (corduroy trim, thick horn buttons) are top as well.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hpreston, could you elaborate on your experience with the MTM programme? How did the process go, what about fabric selection and price? There’s preciously little info on the website.

Note my first Drakes MTM experience was only my second venture into MTM, the other (my first) being a Ring Jacket suit at The Armoury.

My experience was at a local trunk show. But I believe you can do same or similar service at any of the shops.

They had several books to look through with a wide variety of suiting and sport coat fabrics, this trunk show was last spring, but they had summer, winter and four season cloths available to commission. I had a color, weight, fabric content already in mind (with a photo of me wearing a spot coat that I was looking to “upgrade) so that helped narrow down the fabric search. Once I decided on the fabric, it was time to nail fit.

They had brought size of range of a mid weight navy suit, I am pretty close to a standard 42 (US)/52 (EU), so we started there. I was only commissioning a sport coat so no need to try on trousers. The Drakes rep took a bunch of size notes, adjusting the mid coat to my dad bod, the pitch on one shoulder, sleeve length etc. Then came choosing details like pocket choices, lining etc.

The wait was about five weeks, the fit was near perfect, sleeves needed shortened about 1cm, other than that no adjustments necessary. Additionally, the details are very nice, surgeons cuffs, a flower loop behind the lapel. All in all, I am super pleased with the product and service, and will be doing more MTM with Drakes in the future.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very sharp. Wear it in good health!

Thank you!

I forgot I had already removed the pocket square after getting home. And a bit rumpled at the end of the day.

Looking to do another MTM project with Drakes this fall.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks good. If I may ask, what was the mtm cost, and fabric selection?

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can got the exact fabric name, mill, book etc. from drakes. I didn’t take down all those details.

But it’s an all wool sapphire blue hopsack.

Cost for this piece was $1700

Contango

Reaction score
I am confident that Drakes will continue to be a brand that I will return to season after season despite how different or wired to me, the lookbook errr..... ummm looks.
Yeah, totally rational, objective argument there, clearly no fanboi.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads