• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received a couple more deliveries, including washed linen and cotton drill overshirts and this linen/cotton popover which has thrown me for a loop sizing-wise. I don’t expect a popover to fit as close through the body as fully button up shirts, but this seems a bit excessive and I don’t know why the biceps would need much excess fabric. Anyone have experience with this one? Should I expect it to shrink after a wash? As it stands, I can’t imagine either overshirt would fit well on top of this (all size Large).

I think we are about the same size. I’m pretty standard 16.5 Drakes shirt, large in knitwear, 42/52 in tailoring.

I have the same popover, I tried on several sizes in the shop. Ended up sizing down to medium.

On the overshirt, I got the washed linen and sized up to XL.

FWIW

mattg1027

Reaction score
I think we are about the same size. I’m pretty standard 16.5 Drakes shirt, large in knitwear, 42/52 in tailoring.

I have the same popover, I tried on several sizes in the shop. Ended up sizing down to medium.

On the overshirt, I got the washed linen and sized up to XL.

FWIW

Gotcha. Yeah, had I bothered to look at the size chart prior to ordering I definitely would have gone with medium. Ah well, not even sure Medium was available.

As for the overshirt, I think I’m good as long as a cold wash/hang dry doesn’t shrink it too much. I’m also plus a few lbs right now so losing that should help

Joshburke

Reaction score
Hi all ,

I’m looking for a drakes summer suit for an upcoming wedding if anyone one is clearing out their wardrobe. Ideally a size 38.

Thanks!

Nat25

Reaction score
Any one know where drakes gets their alligator card holders / wallets made? Thanks.

flashjack

Reaction score
Cotton suit arrived today. I really like the prominent twill pattern, and I think the fit is pretty good aside from a minor collar gap.

Appreciate any comments on fit adjustments, trouser hems aside ofc which I think I'll go for 2" cuffs and no break.

20190715_193313.jpg 20190715_193408.jpg 20190715_193521.jpg

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cotton suit arrived today. I really like the prominent twill pattern, and I think the fit is pretty good aside from a minor collar gap.

Appreciate any comments on fit adjustments, trouser hems aside ofc which I think I'll go for 2" cuffs and no break.

Overall, looks good for a summer cotton suit, which lean a little more casual due to their nature. I think cuff with no break will look good.

Possibly shorten sleeves 1 to 2 cm (need to see a little shirt cuff).

Without seeing a shot from the back with jacket buttoned, it is hard to tell if the jacket needs to come in in the waist or not, but from the shots you posted, it looks good.

flashjack

Reaction score
I'm typically between a 42 R and L, depending on the maker. Pictured is a 42R, and it's a drop 6.

Going to put off altering the sleeves til I've worn it a bit, I understand cotton tends to bunch a bit at the elbows which should naturally shorten the appearance a little.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm typically between a 42 R and L, depending on the maker. Pictured is a 42R, and it's a drop 6.

Going to put off altering the sleeves til I've worn it a bit, I understand cotton tends to bunch a bit at the elbows which should naturally shorten the appearance a little.

If I might ask, how tall are you?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like s good fit. I agree you don’t want or need much or any break. I like cotton suits to have an easy fit for warm weather.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, need your advice.

Ordered two pairs of shoes and a drake's grenadine tie from the Rake. They combined into one package and just threw the tie into the box where it got crushed by the shoe boxes. Now has two creases (one in the front, the other in the back).

Any recommendations on how I can fix the front crease? It's that big ripple in the middle.

Here's the back crease (don't think it's fully fixable):

mattg1027

Reaction score
Ha. Just clicked order on that exact tie from the Rake. Let's hope they do a better job shipping mine.

*EDIT: Hope that^ didn't come across as a dick comment. Sorry about your experience. I just said "Ha" because there was .2 seconds between me hitting "Buy" on the same tie and seeing your post.*

Also, noticed they had a small restock on Drake's stuff in the sale. Trying the Ecru denim jacket as well.

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha. Just clicked order on that exact tie from the Rake. Let's hope they do a better job shipping mine.

*EDIT: Hope that^ didn't come across as a dick comment. Sorry about your experience. I just said "Ha" because there was .2 seconds between me hitting "Buy" on the same tie and seeing your post.*

Also, noticed they had a small restock on Drake's stuff in the sale. Trying the Ecru denim jacket as well.
No offense taken. Hope your tie arrives safely!

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, need your advice.

Ordered two pairs of shoes and a drake's grenadine tie from the Rake. They combined into one package and just threw the tie into the box where it got crushed by the shoe boxes. Now has two creases (one in the front, the other in the back).

Any recommendations on how I can fix the front crease? It's that big ripple in the middle.

Here's the back crease (don't think it's fully fixable):

Gentle steam from an iron, don’t press too hard. Use a hand towel or other cloth between the iron and the tie as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics