• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tumblr_pl5l26JL6B1s5fve2o2_540.jpg

Suit, shirt and square are by Drake's.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The aesthetic seems to be getting increasingly Normcore each year.

Jeez, they are first catching up to casentino. Casentino peaked three years ago.

Not sure I’ve ever seen a zip up fleece made of Casetino to be fair.

But the nuclear orange looks like crap to me, and the whole Normcore aesthetic just doesn’t make sense for a luxury aristinal brand. I know it’s fashioable and Balenciaga etc. are doing it, but that’s for dumb kleptocrat children.

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure I’ve ever seen a zip up fleece made of Casetino to be fair.

But the nuclear orange looks like crap to me, and the whole Normcore aesthetic just doesn’t make sense for a luxury aristinal brand. I know it’s fashioable and Balenciaga etc. are doing it, but that’s for dumb kleptocrat children.
classic casentino is originally made in nuclear orange. A mistake in dyeing of sorts but now associated with the fabric itself

http://opificicasentinesi.it/en/casentino-fabric/

emptym

Reaction score
^That's interesting. I didn't know that.

Imo the casentino pullover is a great idea. It brings together a lot of things, both historical and trendy: Orange has been in the past year or so. There's a revival of the Patagonia "sherpa" fleece (every streetwear brand seems to have an interpretation). It taps into normcore, as Loathing said, into athleisure, and now into @menswear with the twist of casentino cloth instead of polyester fleece. It's subtle luxury. Perfect for people to wear with their $300 jeans... or dress pants. I'm guessing there will be a vest version for Silicon Valley and Wall Street. Even hunters may want it.

I don't think I'd buy one, but it's a bright idea imo.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree. As much as I enjoy the quality of many things made by Drakes, my impression is that more of their design aesthetic is skewing towards safe, generic, trad style. What is needed is a major shot in the arm of "male masculine". That would actually be pretty easy to do and could easily be incorporated into their existing line of typical Drakes products. (RL did this all the time when growing Polo)

This orange zip front pullover, isn't what I would consider to be anything more than a "business casual" experiment.

But, every company needs to experiment and test it's boundaries if it will continue to succeed. If it doesn't make a few mistakes along the way then it is playing it too safe and can't grow.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cappelli simply didn't support his stockists
How so? Just curious. Feel free to shoot me a PM or email if you don't want to post it publicly.

ETA: Even taking into account all of the good points made about the details of what goes into the costs side and business needs, Drake's ties still seem overpriced to me at full retail. I'd buy one of their pocket squares at full retail (and have) before a tie, since in many cases there really aren't substitutes.

ETA2: There are plenty of other tie makers who I also think are overpriced at full retail.

ETA3: I'm not mad at Drake's for doing it, but a lot of what they've produced as they've expanded their inventory has been blah to me.

Last edited:

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drake’s sale now at 50%.

See, now was that so hard?

Wonder if they had a bad season because there's 50% off quite a bit.

I've only shopped them three seasons and it's been 50% each time. My take is that it's built in to the pricing and of course they want to quickly get rid of past season inventory for multiple reasons. I do think they stocked less inventory this season or people just reacted better to this season than they did AW17.

Snagged a shetland sweater for $127.50. Killer deal. Now wondering if I should pick up a few ties that I don't need...

Trying one of the Shetlands myself. I hope it fits. I have some fantastic J Crew ones from a few years ago (fantastic after I took the ugly faux suede elbow patches off, but the mustard one just got a whole. Anyway, hoping the Drakes shetland fits about the same. I snagged a green one.

I went overboard like last season:

-Harris Tweed Grey Houndstooth Jacket
-Harris Tweed Navy and Wine Houndstooth Jacket
-Ochre and Green Tweed Jacket
-Terracotta Blanket Coat (really wanted the tartan one as well)
-Lambswool Sleeveless Cardigan in Yellow (hoping this fits, or not so I won't get an addiction)
-Green Antique Village Scarf
-Green Paisley Scarf
-Pocket Squares
-Socks

Better make that Q4 bonus... Got most of my pre-sale list. Missed out on the Donegal Harris Tweed Jacket, but that's fine as I'm hoping a solid navy variant comes back again in the future.

Picked up the Paraboots at half off. They seem to have every size available. Light colour and a rubber sole makes an unusual combination I guess.

well the season i wanted something it didn't hit 50% at all.

anyway the shetlands look nice BUT i am so wary of their scratchy itchyness. Bought a howlin sweater and had to send it back to MrP because whilst made in ireland, it was just too irritating.

What was that?

Even with a woven shirt underneath? Shetland is coarse, but with a shirt underneath I've never had any issue.

Ahh, ugh, alarm! Not a Decemberists fan? No one is perfect I guess... Seeing Neko Case in a few weeks. Tell me there are no objections...?

I'm thinking of roping her in to my trip to Scottsdale in February. Haven't seen her since the Fox Confessor tour.

Jeez, another offering of a similar zip fleece that so many brands already offer. C'mon. Let's see something interesting, Drake's.

I though this was a mistake upon initial viewing. Can't understand this one at all.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See, now was that so hard?

I'm thinking of roping her in to my trip to Scottsdale in February. Haven't seen her since the Fox Confessor tour.

I have seen her every year since 2007. Big fan. New album is simply amazing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads