• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the topic of raglan coats, I have the herringbone from FW '20 (as highlighted here)

The fabric is killer, super lightweight for the size of the coat, and incredibly soft. The Herringbone has a great scale to it....

But, and here's the rub, I was so infatuated, I bought the last piece, which is two sizes down from my normal. I see that some resellers, recommend sizing down one
https://gentlemensfootwear.com/products/drakes-grey-wool-raglan-coat

I can't stop thinking that I bought a coat two sizes down... is it too small (not really)? If it does fit (it does) am I missing the "intended" fit? Should I just plan to wear over a light layer (most coats, I like to size to fit over tailoring)

Anyone else have one of the raglan coats? How did you size?
pics?

Maximus Rex

Reaction score
Got my mixed case of ties. Not sure how I’ll wear a white grenadine but the others are useful. The blue and red repp also has a mustard stripe and is really nice.

The real disappointment is the seafoam satin tie. They pack the ties in rough corrugated cardboard and it appears that tie got caught when they inserted the box into the outer cardboard sleeve, so there is a horizontal scuff across the bottom at the widest point. The tie has a peached surface so only visible in some light, but it’s annoying because it was so avoidable.

For CAD 33.00 each, including tax and shipping, I’m satisfied.

I would point it out to Drakes. They will almost certainly replace or refund you that portion of the purchase.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now witness the full power of my terrible photog skillz.

Note, I threw on a sport coat underneath the coat.

1657059092073.jpeg

1657059150040.jpeg

1657059236300.jpeg

Trevallon

Reaction score
To post a followup that will probably not be very useful to anyone -- turns out the size chart was pretty accurate, the shorts did run very small, and I bought the wrong size :(

Meanwhile, I also got the patchwork denim shirt from the archive sale, where the size chart says it's 24.75" pit to pit -- the actual garment measures 22.25".
It helps me. Drake's did not send me the shorts I ordered and while my remaining order was sent ( best piece: the Brown Cord Chore Jacket! I love the fit and have been discovering a new pocket just about every day), I was a little disappointed they were missing. Now I think they probably wouldn't have fit.

So, feeling better. Thank you.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks fine.
yeah looks absolutely fine even buttoned up and this coat is best looking when worn open

Thanks gents, for helping me with my anxiety....

On the open vs closed issue. I agree, there are coats that look much better when worn open (this coat, Valstarino, others...) , however, from a practical perspective, i have a relatively long walk into work from where I park, so often, in foul weather, I am earing a coat for protection, so usually in winter, overcoats get buttoned. For this reason, I do want overcoats to fit over tailoring, while buttoned.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks gents, for helping me with my anxiety....

On the open vs closed issue. I agree, there are coats that look much better when worn open (this coat, Valstarino, others...) , however, from a practical perspective, i have a relatively long walk into work from where I park, so often, in foul weather, I am earing a coat for protection, so usually in winter, overcoats get buttoned. For this reason, I do want overcoats to fit over tailoring, while buttoned.
in which case you're set in either scenario.

it's only early July and I'm already just about at the point where I'm longing for cold weather again. Only 3 months to go! lol

M.Olsson

Reaction score
Anyone else who have order from the archive sale and not received an order confirmation? It's been a couple of days for me now, and nothing from Drake's.

drentco

Reaction score
Ordered on the first day and just got my order delivered. Went fairly smooth I would say. Last archive sale the confirmation email was routed to spam because Gmail's algorithm. I would check to see if the email was moved... this time around it was flagged again (fortunately didn't actually go to spam).

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in which case you're set in either scenario.

it's only early July and I'm already just about at the point where I'm longing for cold weather again. Only 3 months to go! lol

I am not a huge fan of hot weather. If I'm at the beach... fine, but otherwise, I prefer cooler weather.
Give me about two or three more weeks of summer, and I will have had my fill..... bring on sweaters and long coats.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am not a huge fan of hot weather. If I'm at the beach... fine, but otherwise, I prefer cooler weather.
Give me about two or three more weeks of summer, and I will have had my fill..... bring on sweaters and long coats.
I feel mostly the same way but we totally live in the wrong region for that!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads