• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have commented on the sample sale before, but once more for old times sake:

I’m a sit on the fence kind of guy, and agree a sale doesn’t represent all the purchasing decisions that lead to a good buy - but it did personally offend me when my partner had spent a significant amount on a present for me, to see it barely a month later 75% off at the sample sale being tossed around by eBay scalpers. No, It didn’t take away from how I felt about it, yes, it remains a meaningful much loved gift, and yes I know there were a handful of sizes and perhaps the sale represented maybe a fraction of the stock/ opportunity to reduce waste and not the value of the piece: But knowing the sacrifice she had made to afford it , left a bad taste and continues to.
Yes we’re paying for design, yes these things are worth what people pay for them. But consumers have different expectations.

I’m going to sound like a prick here, but , this is how how brands work: You treat your customers well and they return - what well is, perhaps is different to some people. To Derek, it is feeling like they supply a funky polo coat easily available. That’s cool. I get that and he’s not wrong. To me, and many other people it is that, but it is also feeling respected . I don’t think that’s controversial , in fact I think it’s a well understood fact by all mature brands.

I just don't understand how a sale is equal to the feeling of being disrespected. Some people got a deal. Why would someone be sour about someone else's come up? If you want to wait for deals, then you wait for a deal and risk having your size sold out and/ or having to deal with the craziness of sale season (sample sales, pushing through crowds, standing in lines, hitting refresh on a website, etc).

Disrespect to me is when you go into a store and you're told you don't belong or that you can't afford the goods. Or the sales staff rudely ignores you. But a big sale?

polyfusion

Reaction score
I just don't understand how a sale is equal to the feeling of being disrespected. Some people got a deal. Why would someone be sour about someone else's come up? If you want to wait for deals, then you wait for a deal and risk having your size sold out and/ or having to deal with the craziness of sale season (sample sales, pushing through crowds, standing in lines, hitting refresh on a website, etc).

Disrespect to me is when you go into a store and you're told you don't belong or that you can't afford the goods. Or the sales staff rudely ignores you. But a big sale?

You are right in many ways Derek, but i don’t think consumers want to see things they or their partners have liquidated a couple of paychecks on reduced 75%? Is that rational, no not really, because that price isnt real - it exists to clear stock, reduce waste , make a last buck back. It’s not a price point to build a business on- But without fail every Drakes sale, people feel that way because they do feel upset. Drakes purchases are big commitments to the average person and with big commitments comes emotional investment. That isn’t revelatory.

Tbh I’m sorry to add to this discussion, I’ve had a bad day and could not stop myself and the annual tradition to complain about a Drakes sale is a hard to shake.

Nat25

Reaction score

agree w this 100%. Win some, you lose some. Happy for those who scored the casentino vest for ~$60. I’ve been there once or twice and it’s a great feeling. I’ve also paid retail for something I had to have, and not looked back.

Btw hiking shirt retail vs casentino vest sample sale, which one would you prefer?

Nat25

Reaction score
One more point: I’ve spent thousands of dollars on stuff I didn’t need or want at sample sales, thinking it was a good deal, only to never wear it. So there is I think some value for these companies having them for a majority of the crap. If they have to sell a few casentino vests at a loss to garner interest, so be it.

polyfusion

Reaction score
One more point: I’ve spent thousands of dollars on stuff I didn’t need or want at sample sales, thinking it was a good deal, only to never wear it. So there is I think some value for these companies having them for a majority of the crap. If they have to sell a few casentino vests at a loss to garner interest, so be it.

I very much agree with this.
What I do want at drakes currently ? The cord suits. What would I buy at the sale? Almost certainly something further down my list of things to purchase, and possibly something I don’t even like that much.
I think this is called the styleforum infinite loop and is really only resolved by regular therapy.

GabrielJF

Reaction score
Sample sale season has passed once again not to return for another month or so, the evening has curled around the shard and set into a long night of buyers remorse and arguments about that which was once too expensive now being too cheap. The consensus here: Drake’s pricing is ridiculous. What have we all learned? That we are all total sweater vest wearing dorks, I think is probably the overarching message here. See you guys at the next the one.

Last edited:

Nat25

Reaction score
Sample sale season has passed once again not to return for another month or so, the evening has curled around the shard and set into a long night of buyers remorse and arguments about that which was once too expensive now being too cheap. The consensus here: Drake’s pricing is ridiculous. What have we all learned? That we are all total sweater vest wearing dorks, I think is probably the overarching message here. See you guys at the next the one.
I CANT WAIT!!!!

bostndreamdonut

Reaction score
are we gonna ignore that canucks were left entirely out of this sale? how the hell else am I going to add to my massive collection of identical size 15 blue oxford shirts?

also they finally released an in-house loafer and I am here for it.

espen

Reaction score
I found it weird that changing to Canadian dollars shut me out too.

Nat25

Reaction score
Picked up a pair of the Alden /Drakes boots, anyone else grab these? I tried on the loafers too, they are nice.

Attachments

• 3CD024DE-EA5B-4B14-9B9E-1D47CF70DF6D.png
    3CD024DE-EA5B-4B14-9B9E-1D47CF70DF6D.png
    668 KB · Views: 104

GabrielJF

Reaction score
Hello all - can anyone recommend good chore jacket alternatives? I'm pretty committed to the idea that no one does them quite like Drake's does. Ive got a couple from other brands that were considerably cheaper that don't hang as nicely and lack the detail that drakes have on theirs. Yet they are still a little too expensive for what they are, for me anyway. I'd pay £200-300 for a particularly nice one. £500 is absurd. Anyone got any recommendations?

NikG

Reaction score
Hello all - can anyone recommend good chore jacket alternatives? I'm pretty committed to the idea that no one does them quite like Drake's does. Ive got a couple from other brands that were considerably cheaper that don't hang as nicely and lack the detail that drakes have on theirs. Yet they are still a little too expensive for what they are, for me anyway. I'd pay £200-300 for a particularly nice one. £500 is absurd. Anyone got any recommendations?
Archive Sale

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think chore coats look best when they lean into an SWD workwear aesthetic, rather than a clean cut CM aesthetic. The second has been so watered down at this point. The pile of chore coats from Alex Mill, J Crew, Drake's, Vetra, Le Labourer, Epaulet, and others all look the same to me.

King of the hill for me is an actual vintage chore coat. But it's hard to recommend a specific one since you have to dig through a bunch to find a cool one. Brut in Paris has a "curated" selection though

Army-upcycled-clothing-vintage-military-27-sur-55.jpeg
vintage-military-pants-workwear-trousers-sho-Paris-105.jpeg

Outside of that, I think Chimala does a really nice chore coat, but the style is more workwear than "smart CM." Be forewarned that prices are even more expensive than Drake's. However, you can find them second-hand on eBay for around Drake's retail prices.

0142d49bf50759ab9e94026f91dd5138.jpeg

For super affordable, you can get a Carhartt chore coat for like $50 second-hand. I think it looks great if you style it in a streetwear way.

carhartt.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads