• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

yeknal

Reaction score
I prefer size up from jacket size on the shawl cardigans. 42 jacket and 44 cardigan, although I'd be somewhat tempted to even go for a 46 if I were buying again. Not recommending two sizes up, but definitely the size up, unless you want it quite fitted, which isn't how I think shawl cardigans look best.

As for VAT, that's already worked out in their pricing, which I believe includes any import duties that might result from your purchase. Countries with native websites/currency options, like the US, are unfortunately a bit disadvantaged, as other countries get to buy at the VAT-deducted GBP price, which works out to be substantially cheaper than the USD price. But I don't think there's any way around that. In short, the $595 list price is exactly what you'd pay.
I’m normally a 42 long with the sleeves let out a bit. I usually buy slim fit outerwear and size up 2 sizes for the length. The 44 are out of stock and I’m wondering if the 46 would work for me better in the long run. I think the style is inherently more slouchy anyway. I’m 6’4 200 lbs if that helps. Like I said in the previous post I’m not looking forward to returning something else back over the pond.

JIMIG

Reaction score
Have anyone bought the five pocket Japanese selvedge cord trousers? Would love to see pictures and hear your thoughts on the fabric and fit.

is the wale too small? Are there a lot of shine?

bootyboy

Reaction score
I’ve had to return a few things from the US to the UK and Europe and it’s not cheap (around $100 mostly outerwear and boots on the heavier side). It was a little slow but otherwise smooth. I’ve never seen free return shipping included.
Did you use the return portal on the website? If I remember right, they have fixed rate - £25 (direct UK return) or $20 (local US return).

clemente21

Reaction score
The impression I get is that this is a consequence of their expanding into the US market. This comes with markups, but they have to charge those uniformly, as it wouldn't make any sense for them to have better prices on their website than at retail locations, so they also end up marking up the website prices. Countries in which they have no similar presence simply purchase directly from Drake's UK, which won't charge VAT to buyers outside of the UK. This works out to a significantly lower price.

The caveat there is you shouldn't have to pay any import duties on anything you buy, whereas you would likely be responsible for those if purchasing from the UK website from outside of the UK. But the US has an extremely generous threshold for duties, and it's unlikely those would be more than the markup even if you happened to be hit with them. So, probably a net loss for buyers in the US, then, but with the minor benefit of cost certainty.

Yeah in the U.S.
Have anyone bought the five pocket Japanese selvedge cord trousers? Would love to see pictures and hear your thoughts on the fabric and fit.

is the wale too small? Are there a lot of shine?

I tried them on at one point. I liked the fit - the pretty standard Drake's carrot look, a little more taper than the old model 3 jeans. I remember the wale being pretty small and not a ton of shine. These weren't this year's model though so things could have changed.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m normally a 42 long with the sleeves let out a bit. I usually buy slim fit outerwear and size up 2 sizes for the length. The 44 are out of stock and I’m wondering if the 46 would work for me better in the long run. I think the style is inherently more slouchy anyway. I’m 6’4 200 lbs if that helps. Like I said in the previous post I’m not looking forward to returning something else back over the pond.
Unless you like a quite slim fit I think 46 will be better for you

wahnamhong

Reaction score
Fun and on point article in the FT about James Bond wearing poor fitting suits. Too tight and just not practical nor stylish. I like that he is wearing Drake’s shoes, but wouldn’t it be better if he was also wearing Drake’s suits?!

Apologies, subscribers only for the complete article:
James Bond’s suits — the Spectre of tight tailoring
https://on.ft.com/3DRAOTI

D87FF985-B689-4069-A6D7-45C45C9C1409.png

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's one of my favorite clothing purchases...ever lol.

I've lost weight, so I'd trade for a 38... other than that, I'd just take the cash.

LiamMcM

Reaction score
Any thoughts on sizing this year's version of the Crosby moc toe boot? TTS? Size down half size?

Further to this question, I just received a pair in size 10UK, aiming for a 10.5US per the size chart on the Drake’s site. They fit great on the sides and overall really, but how low the toe box is concerns me. Anyone have experience with theirs feeling snug and stretching, or not? Cheers

clemente21

Reaction score
Further to this question, I just received a pair in size 10UK, aiming for a 10.5US per the size chart on the Drake’s site. They fit great on the sides and overall really, but how low the toe box is concerns me. Anyone have experience with theirs feeling snug and stretching, or not? Cheers
Previous versions stretched considerably. Not sure if anything changed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads