• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

y0035215

Reaction score
Anyone seen this iteration of the d-43 in hopsack before? Is it warm enough for fall and mild winter days?

I have the d-43 summer jacket and it fits really nicely, so a little bit tempted. Next week is my first business trip to London again by the way, after the covid situation! Will check their store, naturally..

Regarding the D-43 I cant help but I have exactly the same questions. About the impressions on the spot I would be very happy. I'm always close to pressing the buy button and then hesitate whether I do not put me a real winter jacket.

Ancestral Star

Reaction score
Were some of the older overshirts longer than others? I recently got two with buttoned flap pockets at the bottom, and both are very short. I was hoping the length would be similar to that on the one pictured here:

Was the longer length specific to this style?

The fit of mine in general is off. The sleeves are long, and I have this same problem at the underarms: http://www.linnegatan2.com/drake-s-shacket-cotton-olive-xl?blockid=9&catid=79

Maybe I got the wrong size. I'm a 40R and bought a medium, but they seem to run small.

Yeah, the overshirts from around 2017/2018 were about an inch longer than the ones released after that timeframe. I think around early 2020 they brought back the shorter ones. At the time, I was told that the first overshirts were also cut shorter, so it was a return to the original pattern. I have shirts of both cuts and the difference is quite significant when wearing.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on sizing this year's version of the Crosby moc toe boot? TTS? Size down half size?

adiblas

Reaction score
Any thoughts on sizing this year's version of the Crosby moc toe boot? TTS? Size down half size?
Bought one pair exactly 1 year ago. Don’t know if size changed since then. I took 8.5, I am 42.5/43 in most shoes, 8.5 in paraboot if it can help. I still find them a bit snug, probably 9 would have been better.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought one pair exactly 1 year ago. Don’t know if size changed since then. I took 8.5, I am 42.5/43 in most shoes, 8.5 in paraboot if it can help. I still find them a bit snug, probably 9 would have been better.

Thanks

clemente21

Reaction score

I've always been TTS on the Crosby, especially as they stretch a little, but also haven't tried them in a year or two

yeknal

Reaction score
Does anyone have sizing advice on the lambs wool shawl collar cardigan? Same as your jacket size I assume? I don’t own this style to compare measurements against.

Also I’m located in the US and the price I see is listed at $595 USD and the FAQ says VAT will be deducted for deliveries outside the EU. Is that already dedicated from the price or is that deducted at checkout?

https://www.drakes.com/usa/clothing/knitwear/navy-lambswool-shawl-collar-cardigan

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have sizing advice on the lambs wool shawl collar cardigan? Same as your jacket size I assume? I don’t own this style to compare measurements against.

Also I’m located in the US and the price I see is listed at $595 USD and the FAQ says VAT will be deducted for deliveries outside the EU. Is that already dedicated from the price or is that deducted at checkout?

https://www.drakes.com/usa/clothing/knitwear/navy-lambswool-shawl-collar-cardigan
I prefer size up from jacket size on the shawl cardigans. 42 jacket and 44 cardigan, although I'd be somewhat tempted to even go for a 46 if I were buying again. Not recommending two sizes up, but definitely the size up, unless you want it quite fitted, which isn't how I think shawl cardigans look best.

As for VAT, that's already worked out in their pricing, which I believe includes any import duties that might result from your purchase. Countries with native websites/currency options, like the US, are unfortunately a bit disadvantaged, as other countries get to buy at the VAT-deducted GBP price, which works out to be substantially cheaper than the USD price. But I don't think there's any way around that. In short, the $595 list price is exactly what you'd pay.

Octobab

Reaction score
I prefer size up from jacket size on the shawl cardigans. 42 jacket and 44 cardigan, although I'd be somewhat tempted to even go for a 46 if I were buying again. Not recommending two sizes up, but definitely the size up, unless you want it quite fitted, which isn't how I think shawl cardigans look best.

As for VAT, that's already worked out in their pricing, which I believe includes any import duties that might result from your purchase. Countries with native websites/currency options, like the US, are unfortunately a bit disadvantaged, as other countries get to buy at the VAT-deducted GBP price, which works out to be substantially cheaper than the USD price. But I don't think there's any way around that. In short, the $595 list price is exactly what you'd pay.

Is this why Drake's is so heinously unnafordable here?

Treble

Reaction score

I agree with going up from jacket size, but if you can't there is definitely going to be a lot of give if you want it. I have the Navy lamsbswool and it's nice but hard to layer over. William Lockie might make them for Drake's and their version is a bit cheaper, not much difference in it...

RozenKristal

Reaction score

the common suggestion for shawl collar drake is one size up from suit size.

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this why Drake's is so heinously unnafordable here?
The impression I get is that this is a consequence of their expanding into the US market. This comes with markups, but they have to charge those uniformly, as it wouldn't make any sense for them to have better prices on their website than at retail locations, so they also end up marking up the website prices. Countries in which they have no similar presence simply purchase directly from Drake's UK, which won't charge VAT to buyers outside of the UK. This works out to a significantly lower price.

The caveat there is you shouldn't have to pay any import duties on anything you buy, whereas you would likely be responsible for those if purchasing from the UK website from outside of the UK. But the US has an extremely generous threshold for duties, and it's unlikely those would be more than the markup even if you happened to be hit with them. So, probably a net loss for buyers in the US, then, but with the minor benefit of cost certainty.

RozenKristal

Reaction score
Are drake shawl made by william lockie? That is what i recall, the difference is drake collar is larger.

SoHubris

Reaction score
The impression I get is that this is a consequence of their expanding into the US market. This comes with markups, but they have to charge those uniformly, as it wouldn't make any sense for them to have better prices on their website than at retail locations, so they also end up marking up the website prices. Countries in which they have no similar presence simply purchase directly from Drake's UK, which won't charge VAT to buyers outside of the UK. This works out to a significantly lower price.

The caveat there is you shouldn't have to pay any import duties on anything you buy, whereas you would likely be responsible for those if purchasing from the UK website from outside of the UK. But the US has an extremely generous threshold for duties, and it's unlikely those would be more than the markup even if you happened to be hit with them. So, probably a net loss for buyers in the US, then, but with the minor benefit of cost certainty.

Speaking of import duties, etc.: what have folks' experiences been with returning online purchases from North America back to the UK? I understand to returner bears the shipping fee. Has that proven to be costly, and has the return process been otherwise smooth? Thanks.

yeknal

Reaction score
Speaking of import duties, etc.: what have folks' experiences been with returning online purchases from North America back to the UK? I understand to returner bears the shipping fee. Has that proven to be costly, and has the return process been otherwise smooth? Thanks.
I’ve had to return a few things from the US to the UK and Europe and it’s not cheap (around $100 mostly outerwear and boots on the heavier side). It was a little slow but otherwise smooth. I’ve never seen free return shipping included.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads