• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RN0612

Reaction score
Hi all - I'm new to the forum and would really appreciate the insights of this group. Various of the Drake's suits have caught my eye and I am considering making a purchase, but I am not near a store and therefore can't try anything on. I see that my size (40) has a back length of 29.9, which strikes me as quite long. I am 5'10 and about 165 lbs. My concern is that I will be drowning in fabric, particularly given the prevailing trend toward shorter jackets.

Does anyone have any insights into the length of these jackets? I appreciate that everyone has different proportions and it's difficult to speak in generalities, but I'd certainly welcome any thoughts from this crowd about the length of these jackets. Thanks!

I don't own any Drake's sport coats or suits, but everything that I've seen from them online (on real people and not models) is just on the border between too short and traditional. I wouldn't describe them as too short, but they are right at that border where if they were shorter, I think they would look unflattering.

I was talking to the Tokyo store manager the other day and he said the jackets have become longer since Drakes changed factories a year or two ago (when they adopted a cut with more drape). Me being quite stocky at 166cm and 73kg, the EU size 50 works well in the shoulders but feels VERY long. The manager, cool dude named Nakagawa-san, advised it could be shortened 2cm without the placement of the patch pockets looking too weird.

emiratiAL

Reaction score
I'm currently hopelessly in love with the balmacaan in gun club check. Has anyone seen this in the flesh and have any observations?

I've emailed Drakes to enquire about the wool GSM, which they've not got round to answering yet, but they've refused to disclose the source of the cloth - is this standard?

Last edited:

clemente21

Reaction score
3B2D200F-5831-43E9-8979-230CD1B5C6E2.jpeg
E259E1B2-B43D-4AF1-9248-7642B0894B28.jpeg

I have a pair from last year that are not, so seems unlikely

Dadacantona

Reaction score
I'm currently hopelessly in love with the balmacaan in gun club check. Has anyone seen this in the flesh and have any observations?

I've emailed Drakes to enquire about the wool GSM, which they've not got round to answering yet, but they've refused to disclose the source of the cloth - is this standard?
I’ve tried it. Cloth seeks weighty and decent. I wasn’t in love with the cut but that’s personal I suppose. My main observation is that the coat is only lined in the sleeves and shoulders, which I find troublesome for an overcoat.

emiratiAL

Reaction score
I’ve tried it. Cloth seeks weighty and decent. I wasn’t in love with the cut but that’s personal I suppose. My main observation is that the coat is only lined in the sleeves and shoulders, which I find troublesome for an overcoat.

Thanks for that.

Yes, I noticed from the photoshoot on the Drakes website that it appeared only partially unlined, which just seemed an odd thing to do on a winter coat. Particularly such an expensive one!

I'm going to see what Drakes respond with regarding the SGM before pulling the trigger.

Treble

Reaction score
I think keeping schtum on the source of the cloth is fair when it's off the peg.

Does anyone know if they will doing the Navy wool herringbone sportcoat/blazer again? It seems unlikely, but I'm after a single breasted navy sportcoat / blazer that will work with denim (so not a suit).

The travel jacket might have enough texture for washed denim but I'm doubtful...

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think keeping schtum on the source of the cloth is fair when it's off the peg.

Does anyone know if they will doing the Navy wool herringbone sportcoat/blazer again? It seems unlikely, but I'm after a single breasted navy sportcoat / blazer that will work with denim (so not a suit).

The travel jacket might have enough texture for washed denim but I'm doubtful...

I dropped by their pop-up here last week and handled that travel jacket. It's nice, but wouldn't work well with denim imo.

Treble

Reaction score
I dropped by their pop-up here last week and handled that travel jacket. It's nice, but wouldn't work well with denim imo.

Thanks for the info. I will try and take a look but running out of options here for 2/3 soft jacket, Anglo-Italian seem to have a MTO navy herringbone but such a gamble only seeing a swatch.

wahnamhong

Reaction score

No answer to your question, but a navy blazer that works really well with jeans is Drake’s ss20 hopsack jacket with brass buttons. I bought mine at full price but have also seen it in the Drake’s archive sales twice now. It’s a really nice jacket: I am even wearing it for business meetings now with grey flannel trousers and a white or blue striped shirt.

wahnamhong

Reaction score
Anyone seen this iteration of the d-43 in hopsack before? Is it warm enough for fall and mild winter days?

I have the d-43 summer jacket and it fits really nicely, so a little bit tempted. Next week is my first business trip to London again by the way, after the covid situation! Will check their store, naturally..

Treble

Reaction score
No answer to your question, but a navy blazer that works really well with jeans is Drake’s ss20 hopsack jacket with brass buttons. I bought mine at full price but have also seen it in the Drake’s archive sales twice now. It’s a really nice jacket: I am even wearing it for business meetings now with grey flannel trousers and a white or blue striped shirt.

Thanks. This one? https://www.drakes.com/editorial/bold-as-brass/

I was thinking some hopsack could just have the texture, and swapping the buttons out for some in horn would be easy enough but I really only wear single breasted.

Also I tried a Ring jacket (balloon fabric Navy) and it was so shear over a white shirt it looked ridiculous.

wahnamhong

Reaction score
Thanks. This one? https://www.drakes.com/editorial/bold-as-brass/

I was thinking some hopsack could just have the texture, and swapping the buttons out for some in horn would be easy enough but I really only wear single breasted.

Also I tried a Ring jacket (balloon fabric Navy) and it was so shear over a white shirt it looked ridiculous.
Well, I have the ss20 iteration - which is completely unlined. You can’t really see through it though. See first pic below. But yes, the styling in the pics from your link: that is timeless imho. And works well with jeans. As for DB, I’d just be open to it if I were you. Little bit of diversity in your wardrobe! :)

250FCCFC-EE55-4CDD-9CEF-B2DDDB7580B1.png
C59F9DED-2868-4D70-9D3F-3792A9A794E3.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads