• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious way to represent what we/I said.

Egregious? No. I just don't feel like it showcases it well. Again, coat over sweats? I've done it myself.

I guess if I were trying to be more pointed about what I don't care for here I would say:

I like the point you made about a grey tonal outfit as a canvas for the coat. I think what gets me is the hoodie. I don't think I would have had the same feeling had everything else in the outfit been the same, save a grey crewneck replacing the hoodie. The hood itself adds too much visually up top, IMO; almost a competing collar to that of the coat. I will say that I have never cared for the "hoodie under another piece of more traditional outerwear" look, and I love hoodies-just not like that.

fair point and egregious probably wasn't entirely the right adjective to frame your and @clemente21 position so apologies if it came across overly harsh. it looks cozy to me, like it's a early winter weekend and you're running out to pick up coffee. the hood and the collar keep your neck warm. i'd wear this and have in the past in some iteration. maybe not to dinner, but certainly to run errands on a quiet day or to grab some brunch with my SO.

slows2k

Reaction score
fair point and egregious probably wasn't entirely the right adjective to frame your and @clemente21 position so apologies if it came across overly harsh. it looks cozy to me, like it's a early winter weekend and you're running out to pick up coffee. the hood and the collar keep your neck warm. i'd wear this and have in the past in some iteration. maybe not to dinner, but certainly to run errands on a quiet day or to grab some brunch with my SO.

:cheers: No worries at all.

On a related note, can anyone who has one of these coats from years past speak to how warm they actually are? If I'm gonna even think about spending 2k on a coat, I would want it to be reasonably warm, at least, though not unwearable. I recall some people complained about the first iteration of the PWVC x PS balmacaan so Simon used a slightly heavier fabric for last years'. Just wondering where these Drakes offerings slot in.

clemente21

Reaction score
fair point and egregious probably wasn't entirely the right adjective to frame your and @clemente21 position. it looks cozy to me, like it's a early winter weekend and you're running out to pick up coffee. the hood and the collar keep your neck warm. i'd wear this and have in the past in some iteration. maybe not to dinner, but certainly to run errands on a quiet day or to grab some brunch with my SO.

That totally makes sense, just for me the coat is also two thousand dollars and I may not to imagine/see it in more situations than running out for a coffee. It's not a stretch to imagine it over something other than a hoodie - it looks great - I just don't know why the impulse so often in terms of the marketing is to dress down

tgaith77

Reaction score
I dunno, it's funny to see how some get so bent seeing a topcoat with sweats. That look has been marketed for years now, with the same divided response every season. Anyone at this point who follows Drakes has enough of an awareness of how a topcoat is classically styled or worn. Of course they can be worn with flannel suits/ suede bluchers/etc., however that's not really Peskowitz's approach.

For me, I don't mind it. I like utility, versatility and trying to squeeze the most out of item of clothing. I already know how to look at that coat and pair it with CM. I also see that coat as a big, warm, cozy blanket that works for getting coffee in sweats. If I'm spending $2000 on a winter coat, I will wear it for as many reasons as I can.

Last edited:

garigo

Reaction score
A little worried by the description mentioning that it comes "with a shorter length and more contemporary silhouette".

cristofromkensington

Reaction score
I’m sure this will ruffle a few tail feathers.

Attachments

• E23DA01F-793C-4432-AD82-9880B4103592.jpeg
    E23DA01F-793C-4432-AD82-9880B4103592.jpeg
    371.5 KB · Views: 157

dh797_sfs

Reaction score
I'm just gonna sit here and hold my breath until the camel polo coat is released ?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Love the new raincoat

bwlyXVTWGcuIG5VGJaiB67CXELJo2fkAgNvGNNnlZ2Z.jpg
vNcTsMzWRodsrkcj37oSccAtRbMjTaWS5aCov24050w.jpg

Mackintosh has made similar coats for Hermes, Holland & Holland, and their in-house line. Some are constructed with riding straps, in case you ever wear the coat while astride a horse. The Holland & Holland version was made with a Loden green wool collar. However, since all the Mackintosh versions are made from bonded cotton, they don't breathe very well. (Although I think the material is still fun to wear, so long as you're not walking long distances and/ or sweat easily).

Mackintosh Season.jpeg

Old Apparel Arts illustration of a similar coat.

raincoats.jpeg

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the new raincoat

View attachment 1680487 View attachment 1680488

Mackintosh has made similar coats for Hermes, Holland & Holland, and their in-house line. Some are constructed with riding straps, in case you ever wear the coat while astride a horse. The Holland & Holland version was made with a Loden green wool collar. However, since all the Mackintosh versions are made from bonded cotton, they don't breathe very well. (Although I think the material is still fun to wear, so long as you're not walking long distances and/ or sweat easily).

View attachment 1680489

Old Apparel Arts illustration of a similar coat.

View attachment 1680490
Yeah that raincoat is sweet.
I'm well known as having an obsession with a bal/raglan-style coat Ciongoli made for Eidos in 2016 called the Chiaia. I recently got one, finally, after 5 years of searching.
Well, he made that coat as a raincoat, too. There are two for sale on the Real Real. One in 52 and one in 48.
I like the Chiaia for its flapped patch pockets and hidden waist drawstring. Though the removable hood on the Drake's model is a superior addition.

jalebi

Reaction score
Picked some really nice Drake’s stuff up and some Anderson Sheppard gear from The Rake sale at the Cifonelli sale at the Music Room - anyone in London should visit, closes today.

Very little decent stuff from The Rake when I went at 5ish today, but lots of good Cifonelli gear.

espen

Reaction score
Does anyone by chance own both the raw denim and bleach wash denim? Did you take the same size for both?

cristofromkensington

Reaction score
Does anyone by chance own both the raw denim and bleach wash denim? Did you take the same size for both?
I do; I did. Unfortunately, both stretched massively. I’d recommend going down a size, otherwise in a year they’ll look like they’re two sizes too big.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads