• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is honestly the worst thread on CM, and CM is the worst side of StyleForum, including CE.

Nearly every thread at this point is just about shoes and shoes alone. Not even how to wear shoes well, just how shoes are built and how to buy them.

Then there are three watch threads. Again, mostly about them as standalone objects.

MC General Chat (a thread I started!) is mostly terrible.

Drake's is just arguments. Literally nothing else but arguments and sales notices.

Foo's cowboy thread was good for a moment and now is also terrible.

Can't forget the regularly occurring threads about "does anyone dress up anymore?" "Is the tie dead?" "Does anyone still wear a suit?" "Do people ask you why you're so dressed up?" "Are shorts gentlemanly?" "Is the whole world devolving into athleisure?" "Why don't people dress up anymore?" "Look at these slobs!"

Sorry, just venting. I realize this post is also not fun or contributing anything.

Be the change you want! Throw in a Drake’s related topic we can all discuss.

Octobab

Reaction score
Here's one:

Has there been any word on the street as to when the new shop will be opening? I'm gonna be in NYC soon and I've been eagerly waiting to hear some kind of announcement

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is honestly the worst thread on CM, and CM is the worst side of StyleForum, including CE.

Nearly every thread at this point is just about shoes and shoes alone. Not even how to wear shoes well, just how shoes are built and how to buy them.

Then there are three watch threads. Again, mostly about them as standalone objects.

MC General Chat (a thread I started!) is mostly terrible.

Drake's is just arguments. Literally nothing else but arguments and sales notices.

Foo's cowboy thread was good for a moment and now is also terrible.

Can't forget the regularly occurring threads about "does anyone dress up anymore?" "Is the tie dead?" "Does anyone still wear a suit?" "Do people ask you why you're so dressed up?" "Are shorts gentlemanly?" "Is the whole world devolving into athleisure?" "Why don't people dress up anymore?" "Look at these slobs!"

Sorry, just venting. I realize this post is also not fun or contributing anything.
I think kvetching may constitute the most fun some have on SF.

Seriously though, were you temporarily made king of the fora, what initiatives might you encourage to enliven the CM side?

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK I'll throw my $0.02 when in comes to Drakes, since I've expressed this opinion before and the latest look book makes it even more salient: these things make me want to care about Drakes again.

This is such a good fit that makes me want to go pull pieces like this out of my closet and wear them in this way. I get that this is basically ALD, which is also great and I feel that stuff deeply.

25_5.jpg

I guess I also used to look at Drake's look books every now and then when I had to dress up for work. But I don't need to anymore (because of my job, not just wfh) and I don't want to, really. I'm happy that I could buy stuff from Drake's in a style that I like, without feeling like I have to wear CM casual to make it work.

New Drakes is Good.

letsgofire

Reaction score
OK I'll throw my $0.02 when in comes to Drakes, since I've expressed this opinion before and the latest look book makes it even more salient: these things make me want to care about Drakes again.

This is such a good fit that makes me want to go pull pieces like this out of my closet and wear them in this way. I get that this is basically ALD, which is also great and I feel that stuff deeply.

View attachment 1644013

I guess I also used to look at Drake's look books every now and then when I had to dress up for work. But I don't need to anymore (because of my job, not just wfh) and I don't want to, really. I'm happy that I could buy stuff from Drake's in a style that I like, without feeling like I have to wear CM casual to make it work.

New Drakes is Good.

3 top layers and shorts? Not sure what climate this aspirational fit would be for :)

Joking aside the optimism is great. I hope Drake’s gets their vibe back.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 top layers and shorts? Not sure what climate this aspirational fit would be for :)

Joking aside the optimism is great. I hope Drake’s gets their vibe back.

My point is, Drake's vibe IS back.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not so sure I'd call that a vibe. Just seems like they are reaching and maybe aiming more for visibility than anything coherent. Strikes me as a "swinging for the fences" look based on the last bunch of photos.

Nothing really wrong with it I guess if that's your thing.

Last edited:

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My point is, Drake's vibe IS back.
Not so sure I'd call that a vibe. Just seems like they are reaching and maybe aiming more for visibility than anything coherent. Strikes me as a "swinging for the fences" look based on the last bunch of photos.

Nothing really wrong with it I guess if that's your thing.
I think the difference here may be between those approaching Drake's through CM vs. SWD. I had no idea this was even in CM until @dieworkwear called it the worst thread in CM. I'm on @troika's side of this divide--I like the Drake's of the last couple of years much more than anything prior--but am certainly not claiming that's the correct opinion. But the camel polo coat over the sweatsuit looks great to me, even as I understand why that may be somewhat verboten in CM.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up a pile of short and long sleeve linen shirts from Drake's over the past year. The Japanese linen shirts are excellent. Also replaced some espadrilles as they only last a season or two for me. I like Drake's espadrilles much better than Castaner.

Benesto

Reaction score
I have a question regarding the white Japanese linen shirt and hopefully one of you could help me. Would it look good if you wear it with a tie? And in general, what kind of tie would you wear with a linen shirt?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding the white Japanese linen shirt and hopefully one of you could help me. Would it look good if you wear it with a tie? And in general, what kind of tie would you wear with a linen shirt?
I wear mostly linen or linen-blend ties with linen dress shirts for work in the summer. Shirts needs to be a linen dress shirt rather than a sport shirt, though. Looks much better.

Benesto

Reaction score
I wear mostly linen or linen-blend ties with linen dress shirts for work in the summer. Shirts needs to be a linen dress shirt rather than a sport shirt, though. Looks much better.

Thank you for you help! The Drake‘s one will be too casual then I guess. I hope they will offer some spread collar shirts again. If I remember correctly they had quite a lot in the past. But maybe they don’t fit in with the „new“ more causal Drake‘s look (Which I also really like).

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for you help! The Drake‘s one will be too casual then I guess. I hope they will offer some spread collar shirts again. If I remember correctly they had quite a lot in the past. But maybe they don’t fit in with the „new“ more causal Drake‘s look (Which I also really like).
I have some linen dress shirts from Zegna, Canali, and RLPL that work really well. Very fine, non-slubby linen and nice collars.

EDIT: Commenting from a CM perspective, of course. :cool:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads