• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Has anyone got one of the cotton ripstop jungle jackets? If so what are your thoughts? Considering getting one but having got a number of summer through to September items of outerwear and nothing really in the way of chores for fall/winter, would the jungle jacket be a needless folly? Or is it something you can wear comfortably in the colder months?

I don't have that specific jacket, but I have things like it. It prob depends on where you live, but I find that lightweight cotton jackets like that can be worn in temps in the 60s and 70s. In the high 50s and low 60s, I just layer with a warm sweater. Below 55 or so, I just wear a warmer jacket.

Friend

Reaction score
While we're on the topic of jackets, curious if anyone here has experience with the walking jacket from SS19? There were a few at the NYC sample sale, all several sizes too big, but I really liked the color and fabric in person, and it's been sticking in mind. Did a bit of googling but didn't find that many pictures of it:

d2465c88f7585e437cbdf9b6ef74124c.jpg

Funnily enough, even though the Drake's website has an individual post dedicated to seemingly every other jacket from that collection, the only place the walking jacket shows up is in the context of the shirt underneath it here:

Two-Pocket-Shirt-D.jpg

Anyone have one? Or suggestions for alternatives?

wahnamhong

Reaction score
Has anyone got one of the cotton ripstop jungle jackets? If so what are your thoughts? Considering getting one but having got a number of summer through to September items of outerwear and nothing really in the way of chores for fall/winter, would the jungle jacket be a needless folly? Or is it something you can wear comfortably in the colder months?
I donโ€™t have the cotton ripstop jungle jacket, but bought the d43 sport jacket also from this season instead. I was considering both but chose the d43 in the end. The d43 is quite thin, but works well if youโ€™re wearing a blazer underneath. Probably a good jacket for temps from say 10 degrees Celsius and upwards. I guess itโ€™s the same for the ripstop jungle jacket. For autumn I am myself going to wait for Drakeโ€™s new offerings coming later this summer. Or I will get the Informale jungle jacket.

By the way I still very much like the d43, great piece for Northern European climates where rain can come and go during the day. I will also get the d43 in blue waxed linen when it comes again.

mina262

Reaction score
Linen overshirtsโ€ฆ just a quick check - how have folks laundered them? Cold machine wash and line dry at home? Or professional dry clean?

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Linen overshirtsโ€ฆ just a quick check - how have folks laundered them? Cold machine wash and line dry at home? Or professional dry clean?

Definitely dry clean. Some have reported lots of shrinkage with a machine wash

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely dry clean. Some have reported lots of shrinkage with a machine wash
This is the right answer if deciding between these two options, but I would personally just split the difference and hand wash and hang dry (provided you have the spare time).

Nbarbar

Reaction score
This is the right answer if deciding between these two options, but I would personally just split the difference and hand wash and hang dry (provided you have the spare time).
That is what I do with mine and it hasnโ€™t shrunk at all.

mina262

Reaction score

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have washed mine on the "hand wash" setting and it worked out just fine.

kentpope

Reaction score
I have washed mine on the "hand wash" setting and it worked out just fine.

I can't say with absolute certainty that there aren't exceptions, but I've never had anything cotton or linen shrink simply by washing it, even if it's on the regular cycle. I don't own the Drake's item in question so don't take this as gospel but shrinking happens in the dryer, not the washer.

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score
I can't say with absolute certainty that there aren't exceptions, but I've never had anything cotton or linen shrink simply by washing it, even if it's on the regular cycle. I don't own the Drake's item in question so don't take this as gospel but shrinking happens in the dryer, not the washer.

from my own experience I accidentally washed a fine wool drakes sweater and it shrunk, even on cold ;/.

so only handwashing if i really like the fit of something and don't want it to change

Psyko

Reaction score
Oh yeah, wool could be different for sure. I was only speaking about cottons and linens, which Iโ€™ve never known to shrink just from machine washing regardless of temp.

That's strange. All my cotton shirts and jackets shrink when I wash them. They have not been heavily prewashed, though.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads