• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GabrielJF

Reaction score
To those of you who appear to be grieving a loss of innocence and a world in which Drake’s was once very expensive and inaccessible to the plebs:

don’t worry! ‘‘Twas ever thus and is still. Come on chaps, stop being ninnies. Drakes are masters of effective, targeted
interactive marketing.

Seasonal look books: marketing.

Celebrities sporting there goods in editorials: marketing.

Having a separate website called ‘The Drake’s Archive’ in which they have two or more seasonal sales a year called archive sales rather than seasonal sales: you guessed it - marketing baby.

A sample sale where a snaking queue of drakes adorned middle class men wait like the largest ever turn out for a casting call: marketing.

Having a pleasant man named Barrington man the desk: marketing probably, I don’t know. Maybe I’m a cynic but he’s probably called Baz in his spare time.

Drakes have cracked it. The treasure trove illusion of both scarcity and exclusivity forms the backbone of their marketing strategy. And it works. The sample sale may have revealed the man behind the curtain somewhat but what luxury brand doesn’t mark up their product considerably. I filled bags at the sale got home and most of it is poor quality. Not all. But most. A loro piana wool jacket in which the inside stitching is falling apart and the canvas comes away from the jacket with the gentlest of tugs. The sample sale was both a spring clean and some effective marketing in drumming up interest. Enjoy what you bought and stop whinging chaps. It’s just clothes.

Terry Mac's 'Tache

Reaction score
Edward Green have always been that kind of price and lower in their factory shop. Depends whether you mind buying seconds and overstocks and not having as much choice as you do at full price.

@Nickd Not complaining. I have many pairs of EG purchased at full price. My point was that the sale made me question the value of EG especially in relation to Vass, AM, etc.

I think these sample sales have been going on for a while now. This is the flyer from 2012

In the past, sometimes they did these with Mackintosh. They traditionally happened about once a year in London. At some point, it included NYC.

@dieworkwear you are right that these sales have happened for years now. I have been the beneficiary in many cases. There is a sample sale shop in Hackney where Mackintosh is (seemingly) perpetually on sale. Makes one question Mackintosh's pricing strategy.

Yes, and I think we also have to account for how drastically the retail and cultural environment (demand) has changed over the last 18 months.

@zenosparadox this, for me, is the salient point. Most brands were not prepared for an event like the pandemic (who was?) and most would prefer to break even/operate at small losses rather than get no revenue at all. Consistency is key for me. Hermes make wonderful products and charge accordingly. I have never seen any Hermes item on sale. I can therefore stomach the prices. Vass have always had incredible prices for what one gets. On sale, Vass is bordering on stupidly good value. But at least Vass' sale price and full retail are somewhat consistent.

bism416

Reaction score
I have lived in London for a bit under 2 years. In that time drakes have had a big haberdasher st. sale (r.i.p.) and regular archive sales.

I would guess this will continue moving forward. You will continue to be able to get stuff at significant discount but it might not be the pieces you would ‘really’ like. I do find the experience of being in sample sale type places overwhelming and never end up buying much as a result.

Definitely not nice to realise you could have had something expensive for less but in my opinion it is a bit unhealthy to really directly correlate price with your ‘feelings’ about a thing. Everything you buy is marked up and what an article of clothing is 'worth' is pretty subjective.

If you bought a sweater at full retail and treasure it for whatever reason, who cares if someone else gets it for less? Their experience doesn't diminish yours at all.

I think @dieworkwear has an article about why we don't like cheap things that feels relevant here.

There is a sample sale shop in Hackney where Mackintosh is (seemingly) perpetually on sale.

Details on this please?

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Nickd Not complaining. I have many pairs of EG purchased at full price. My point was that the sale made me question the value of EG especially in relation to Vass, AM, etc.

@dieworkwear you are right that these sales have happened for years now. I have been the beneficiary in many cases. There is a sample sale shop in Hackney where Mackintosh is (seemingly) perpetually on sale. Makes one question Mackintosh's pricing strategy.

@zenosparadox this, for me, is the salient point. Most brands were not prepared for an event like the pandemic (who was?) and most would prefer to break even/operate at small losses rather than get no revenue at all. Consistency is key for me. Hermes make wonderful products and charge accordingly. I have never seen any Hermes item on sale. I can therefore stomach the prices. Vass have always had incredible prices for what one gets. On sale, Vass is bordering on stupidly good value. But at least Vass' sale price and full retail are somewhat consistent.

I don’t know whether EG are making a loss at those prices, they may be for some as money back in the bank is better than unsold stock going nowhere. They’ll be making a fair amount of money on each pair as they are twice the price they were 10-12 years ago and not all of the increase is down to increased costs.

polyfusion

Reaction score
I’m definitely not professing to have any answers to the business / moral whatever debate on the sale. Am 100% shooting from the hip.
I just for one found it a bit uncomfortable and hard to fully explain why.
I think the pleb comment is kind of unnecessary, I don’t have a ton of money at all. I buy a few things from drakes every year that I save up for. My wife has also saved up for a few things for me. It just feels uncomfortable that someone put emotional weight , savings and thought into a purchase that I saw for 80% cheaper and being chucked about on the floor.
Make of that what you will but it sat badly with me.

GabrielJF

Reaction score
I’m definitely not professing to have any answers to the business / moral whatever debate on the sale. Am 100% shooting from the hip.
I just for one found it a bit uncomfortable and hard to fully explain why.
I think the pleb comment is kind of unnecessary, I don’t have a ton of money at all. I buy a few things from drakes every year that I save up for. My wife has also saved up for a few things for me. It just feels uncomfortable that someone put emotional weight , savings and thought into a purchase that I saw for 80% cheaper and being chucked about on the floor.
Make of that what you will but it sat badly with me.
That’s a sample sale, mate! My best advice would be to reconcile yourself with the grim reality of consumer capitalism (in which it sounds like you played an enthusiastic part) and enjoy the clothes you own!

polyfusion

Reaction score
That’s a sample sale, mate! My best advice would be to reconcile yourself with the grim reality of consumer capitalism (in which it sounds like you played an enthusiastic part) and enjoy the clothes you own!
You are right , I know. Just anonymously sharing my feelings here as my therapist doesn’t know much about menswear and wouldn’t get it

bc78

Reaction score
To those of you who appear to be grieving a loss of innocence and a world in which Drake’s was once very expensive and inaccessible to the plebs:

don’t worry! ‘‘Twas ever thus and is still. Come on chaps, stop being ninnies. Drakes are masters of effective, targeted
interactive marketing.

Seasonal look books: marketing.

Celebrities sporting there goods in editorials: marketing.

Having a separate website called ‘The Drake’s Archive’ in which they have two or more seasonal sales a year called archive sales rather than seasonal sales: you guessed it - marketing baby.

A sample sale where a snaking queue of drakes adorned middle class men wait like the largest ever turn out for a casting call: marketing.

Having a pleasant man named Barrington man the desk: marketing probably, I don’t know. Maybe I’m a cynic but he’s probably called Baz in his spare time.

Drakes have cracked it. The treasure trove illusion of both scarcity and exclusivity forms the backbone of their marketing strategy. And it works. The sample sale may have revealed the man behind the curtain somewhat but what luxury brand doesn’t mark up their product considerably. I filled bags at the sale got home and most of it is poor quality. Not all. But most. A loro piana wool jacket in which the inside stitching is falling apart and the canvas comes away from the jacket with the gentlest of tugs. The sample sale was both a spring clean and some effective marketing in drumming up interest. Enjoy what you bought and stop whinging chaps. It’s just clothes.

Agree with this. There was a huge line in NYC on the first day. Quite a few people stopped to ask people in line what they were waiting for. I’m sure some of them googled Drake’s thereafter

vanmosh

Reaction score
You are right , I know. Just anonymously sharing my feelings here as my therapist doesn’t know much about menswear and wouldn’t get it

I think like someone else mentioned earlier, at the time of purchase you or your wife could have never known there would be a sample sale in person and all the items that you purchased would be there for a deep discount. Either way, the meaning of the gift wasn’t really the object right? It was the care, time, and thoughtfulness she put it into it.

From a pure “value” stand point in the most literal sense of the word - if you keep the sweater and ties (and wear them) for a significant amount of time, the CPW is going to keep heading towards zero no matter what price you bought them at and there will be a negligible difference over time.

Last thought - despite these items being a very small percentage of their SKUs, whether it was the marked up Columbiaknit rugbies, the William Lockie sweaters, the Astorflex shoes - it's always been apparent that the Drake's pricing strategy and value proposition hasn't always been on the level. However, if you like the styling, enjoy the look books, and the more unique product that they put out, then you shouldn't feel any differently about buying things at full retail, because if you didn't, the brand wouldn't exist and neither would the content they put out. Also - now you can just wait on a sample sale to come around every couple of years!

I'm not saying your feelings aren't valid, it's an understandable sentiment, although I one I don't agree with, but maybe some reframing might help.

Terry Mac's 'Tache

Reaction score
I don’t know whether EG are making a loss at those prices, they may be for some as money back in the bank is better than unsold stock going nowhere. They’ll be making a fair amount of money on each pair as they are twice the price they were 10-12 years ago and not all of the increase is down to increased costs.

Exactly! Price keeps going up but the materials do not appear to be increasing in cost at the same rate. There is the labour argument but that doesn't justify the huge differential in my eyes.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly! Price keeps going up but the materials do not appear to be increasing in cost at the same rate. There is the labour argument but that doesn't justify the huge differential in my eyes.
Yes, they are still my favourite shoes, but can be hard to justify at current prices, especially as I have plenty of pairs.

tgaith77

Reaction score
Historically for me, any time I've felt stupid/annoyed/regret when something I bought at full price later went on sale, its a sign I was probably better off not buying it in the first place.

Of course, I would rather pay less for something. But over the years, I've done much better buying things I really want or can use, regardless of the price. Within reason, of course.

yungchomsky

Reaction score
Copped myself a chore suit at the sample sale today. Prob gonna check back in on Thursday
3F296A84-E3FA-48E4-B8B4-4FAAA76D376D.jpeg

Plumb

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the short sleeve cotton polo shirts compare to the pop over long sleeve cotton polo shirts? Really like the sizing on the pop overs but the short sleeve polo shirts seem to be shorter (based on the size guide). Much appreciated!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads