• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

adschus

Reaction score
Interesting, many thanks. These overshirts look great.

From Google, "Cotton Ripstop Fabric is denser and heavier than most cotton materials" Weight is about 10 oz. I would go with Linen if you want a truly breathable warm weather fabric

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
From Google, "Cotton Ripstop Fabric is denser and heavier than most cotton materials" Weight is about 10 oz. I would go with Linen if you want a truly breathable warm weather fabric

Isn't cotton ripstop only used for outerwear and pants? I don't think most companies make such items in cotton weights lighter than 10oz. If you made a cotton jacket or pair of pants in 8oz fabric, it would wrinkle terribly.

adschus

Reaction score
Isn't cotton ripstop only used for outerwear and pants? I don't think most companies make such items in cotton weights lighter than 10oz. If you made a cotton jacket or pair of pants in 8oz fabric, it would wrinkle terribly.

Cotton ripstop seems like it was created for ruggedness and durability rather than comfort and appearance.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About as breathable in any cotton plain weave in a similar weight, I think. Ripstop just means it's made with an interwoven tic tac toe pattern to help reinforce the material. That pattern is too big for it to have a meaningful impact on heat.

FWIW, US military troops wore cotton ripstop during the Vietnam War, and that was in the tropics.

Very true, ripstop cotton (or cotton/poly blends) have been used in military clothing since the Viet Nam era. Full disclosure, i spent many years of my adult life in Ripstop, often in hot climates. While I might have preferred a linen shirt, the ripstop was very durable (necessary) and relatively comfortable.

I don't believe military clothing had 'comfort' as a top design priority.

Durability and protection are certainly higher on the list of design considerations, but comfort was a consideration (after the previous two)

I don't think that google answer is the final answer about ripstop weight. A quick search and there there are several examples of ripstop available in lighter weights. Its just a fabric with reinforcement yarns interwoven to give strength, it could be a variety of weights.

Agree with DWW, its outerwear. But yes, if you are looking for the lightest possible overshirt, this may not be for you.

Remember Drakes is going to a several drop per year model instead of the older model of one larger spring/summer drop, then six months later, a large fall/winter drop. This drop is likely intended for the current season, early to mid spring, when temps are milder. I bet there will be more overshirt later in the season in lighter weight linens, or cotton/linen blends (just a hunch).

Wrenkin

Reaction score
One good thing about ripstop is the texture. I find that the added stiffness means it is a little more likely to float away from your body. The raised areas also make it less likely to stick to your skin. The effect is marginal, but every little bit helps.

CorozoButton

Reaction score
Might not be the most SF approved item there is, but has anyone picked up/considered the ALD emblem tie?

Finding it hard to work out how I feel about it. Definitely wouldn't wear it as styled in the pictures, and unlikely to wear with a suit, but am considering it for sport coat outfits.

adschus

Reaction score
The belt on this model is fantastic! Unfortunately, Drake's doesn't sell on their site. Anyone know of a place where I can find one that is stylized exactly or similarly?

Belt on model

mbb355

Reaction score

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The belt on this model is fantastic! Unfortunately, Drake's doesn't sell on their site. Anyone know of a place where I can find one that is stylized exactly or similarly?

Belt on model

I’ve got two of them, one is PRL the other Charles Tyrwhitt.

kaizerpi

Reaction score

Belt on model

LLBean sells a braided belt made in Northamptonshire, England

adschus

Reaction score
An aside, but £300 for a linen-cotton polo! Mental prices

Yeah....

Maybe at 60% off during the Archive sale. They have to know that not many will sell at that price but that's standard in clothing pricing anyways

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics