• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nprose

Reaction score
Definitely agree. I'm looking for a navy one in size large if anyone is selling. The Olive one is VERY versatile.

Yes, I have the olive linen one as well. I'd like to buy another, but I struggle with whether or not it can surpass the olive's versatility. Maybe I need to look at another material? The light blue in linen a couple year's back was intriguing too.

Also, if anyone is looking for some nice warm weather Drake's goods, Harrison Limited has some nice things on sale. Just picked up an orange tee. https://store.harrisonlimited.com/collections/sale

Last edited:

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few thoughts on recent items from the autumn/winter collection. My jungle jacket arrived and is going back because the fabric, a navy cotton ripstop, is just a bit too diaphanous for me to feel like I don't have to be dear with it. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures in person of the jacket. On to the jacket I am keeping: the new light denim chore jacket. Disclaimer: I have a "made in Italy" chore coat from a previous season in a lovely terracotta coloured cotton canvas, so I was really looking for reasons not to keep this light denim one. Ultimately, the argument was fought and won on the grounds of the jacket's finishing. The lovely rainbow coloured hanger, the selvedge edges of the fabric, the flannel lined pockets.

View attachment 1524908
View attachment 1524909
View attachment 1524910
View attachment 1524911
This looks wonderful on you! Thinking of getting one and wondering if you’d mind sharing your chest size and the size you took. I take both 42 and 44 in Drake’s, depending on the item, and am wondering whether to size up or down from my ideal size, which would likely be the non-existent 43. I do have two chore jackets, but unfortunately those fit differently and therefore suggest two different answers. So just wondering what your experience is regarding its fit relative to its tagged size. Many thanks in advance!

justinpledger

Reaction score
This looks wonderful on you! Thinking of getting one and wondering if you’d mind sharing your chest size and the size you took. I take both 42 and 44 in Drake’s, depending on the item, and am wondering whether to size up or down from my ideal size, which would likely be the non-existent 43. I do have two chore jackets, but unfortunately, those fit differently and therefore suggest two different answers. So just wondering what your experience is regarding its fit relative to its tagged size. Many thanks in advance!

I can help here as I just answered a question about the chore coats above. The denim one (dark denim in any case) fits TTS. If anything it is a little tighter on the chest than I expected. I am a 38 usually and the 38 in all of their chore coats fits me. I have the denim, Tencel and unlined suede chore coat and they are all the same size and all fit largely the same. The Tencel is the only one that runs just the teeny tiniest bit smaller. Hope that helps.

Oh, and if it helps any - I have to size down to a 36 when I buy any games jackets by Drake's. Their games jackets run really big on me. So, if you are a 44 in their games jackets but a 42 in everything else - go for the 42 as the denim chores do not run really big like the games jackets. But @bostndreamdonut will probably give the most accurate advice perhaps, as he has the washed denim chore... But anyhow!

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can help here as I just answered a question about the chore coats above. The denim one (dark denim in any case) fits TTS. If anything it is a little tighter on the chest than I expected. I am a 38 usually and the 38 in all of their chore coats fits me. I have the denim, Tencel and unlined suede chore coat and they are all the same size and all fit largely the same. The Tencel is the only one that runs just the teeny tiniest bit smaller. Hope that helps.

Oh, and if it helps any - I have to size down to a 36 when I buy any games jackets by Drake's. Their games jackets run really big on me. So, if you are a 44 in their games jackets but a 42 in everything else - go for the 42 as the denim chores do not run really big like the games jackets. But @bostndreamdonut will probably give the most accurate advice perhaps, as he has the washed denim chore... But anyhow!
Wonderful, thanks so much! The comparison with the games jacket is particularly helpful, although I think you mean the reverse? If I’m a 42 in the games jacket (sizing down very slightly, which I do) but a 44 in some other things (e.g., some of the slimmer tailoring and knits), then go for the 44? I’ve taken 42 in the chore jackets in the past, but part of me thinks I want this to be a bit oversized anyway. Anyway, thank you again for your kind help (the tencel was actually the potential substitute I was looking at, so you’ve been helpful there as well).

nprose

Reaction score
Another work-from-home, spring fit to consider...is the Drake's linen overshirt over a tee and with Informale linen shorts. Any other Informale fans on here?

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just noticed Overshirts are back in three colors of ripstop cotton. They've gone back to configuration with only two upper pockets (no hip pockets).

I like the olive.

Polo Collar

Reaction score

tro-73cot-20830-003.jpg

Hi can anyone explains to me how this pants stay up? Why Drake's added belt loops and elastic side tab to waistband at the same time?

adschus

Reaction score

View attachment 1588147

Hi can anyone explains to me how this pants stay up? Why Drake's added belt loops and elastic side tab to waistband at the same time?

I'd imagine the belt loops and side tabs were added so the wearer has the flexibility to wear with or without belt. The pants are meant to wear high on the waist and they definitely stay up, almost resisting gravity. Sorry, I don't know the science behind it.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How summer-appropriate/breathable is ripstop cotton?

I do not have the current version of the overshirt, but I do have another ripstop cotton jacket. It is light, and wears well through most summer temps, although I cant stand anything other than one layer once it get into the mid 90s.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How summer-appropriate/breathable is ripstop cotton?

About as breathable in any cotton plain weave in a similar weight, I think. Ripstop just means it's made with an interwoven tic tac toe pattern to help reinforce the material. That pattern is too big for it to have a meaningful impact on heat.

FWIW, US military troops wore cotton ripstop during the Vietnam War, and that was in the tropics.

mbb355

Reaction score
I do not have the current version of the overshirt, but I do have another ripstop cotton jacket. It is light, and wears well through most summer temps, although I cant stand anything other than one layer once it get into the mid 90s.
About as breathable in any cotton plain weave in a similar weight, I think. Ripstop just means it's made with an interwoven tic tac toe pattern to help reinforce the material. That pattern is too big for it to have a meaningful impact on heat.

FWIW, US military troops wore cotton ripstop during the Vietnam War, and that was in the tropics.
Interesting, many thanks. These overshirts look great.

adschus

Reaction score

I don't believe military clothing had 'comfort' as a top design priority.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics