• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Here's a question for anyone: if you were to collate a list of Drake's classics, what would you have in it?

When I think Drake's classics, I think unicorn scarves and pocket squares; shawl collar cardigans; suede chukkas and penny loafers; linen shirt jackets, chunky patterned tweeds; purple socks; knit, grenadine, and shantung ties; boldly patterned paisley ties; sleeveless cardigans in bold colors with big buttons; higher rise denim, corduroy everything, and maybe some other stuff. Not all of these are Drake's originals, but this is what I think of when I think of Drake's.

If I were designing this collection I'd also include ocbds, flannel trousers, a blue blazer, and other things like that.

nycs10011

Reaction score
I'd love to see at least one tweed sports coat in there at all times. They're still some of my favorite Drake's items even if they've gotten less wear this year.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised they didn't include any overshirts in the perennial collection. To me, that's one of their classic items.

Actually, it looks like there aren't any overshirts on their website right now at all. Huh

mbb355

Reaction score
I'd love to see at least one tweed sports coat in there at all times. They're still some of my favorite Drake's items even if they've gotten less wear this year.
Fully agree Drakes tweeds are lovely but there’s such a rich variety in tweeds that it’s better to have new ones each season. In that way tweeds are very different than, say, shawl cardigans.

Last edited:

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised they didn't include any overshirts in the perennial collection. To me, that's one of their classic items.

Actually, it looks like there aren't any overshirts on their website right now at all. Huh

I like the concept of new classics available all the time, there are items in there I definitely associate with drakes (unicorn scarves, knit ties, chambray button downs).

I am also very surprised at the lack of overshirts, and curious why they’ve all been removed from the site?? Agreed, over shirts are another “classic Drakes” item....

Dadacantona

Reaction score
I like the concept of new classics available all the time, there are items in there I definitely associate with drakes (unicorn scarves, knit ties, chambray button downs).

I am also very surprised at the lack of overshirts, and curious why they’ve all been removed from the site?? Agreed, over shirts are another “classic Drakes” item....
The last time items were removed from the site they ended up in the archive sale shortly after.

mbb355

Reaction score
The last time items were removed from the site they ended up in the archive sale shortly after.
True but I don’t think overshirts were recently removed; I think they have not been on offer for quite some time, at least a few months

keepondigging

Reaction score
I wonder if they're playing around with the overshirt pattern at the moment. SS20 was the last season for the 'classic' overshirt with the pleated flap pockets at the bottom. They then changed the pattern for AW20 to pockets with no flaps or pleats and added the signature drake's double pocket iirc. Personally I hope they go back to the original pattern, as the pleated flap pockets give them more of a fun 'safari' vibe imo.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they play with pocket configuration a lot, initially, over shirts had two top pockets with no bottom pockets, then they changed to add two bottom/hip pockets, and removed the right top pocket, they also play around with solid patch and pleated pockets a bit (as you mentioned)

I do agree with you that overshirts with pleated pockets are superior to plain/patch pockets. Also, while some advocate for an over shirt with only top pockets (Perment Style) I find having the bottom/hip pockets much more functional.
FWIW, they offer over shirts, MTO/MTM, all of the pocket configurations are adjustable.

nycs10011

Reaction score
Fully agree Drakes tweeds are lovely but there’s such a rich variety in tweeds that it’s better to have new ones each season. In that way tweeds are very different than, say, shawl cardigans.

You're right. It makes sense to refresh every season. Even if I'm not planning on picking one up the new season's tweeds are one of the things I look forward to seeing most from Drake's.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can’t say for sure the first time they were offered, but I remember seeing them on the site, and at my local place that carries Drakes, in S/S 17.

A bit forced to call it s classic if only offered for 3/4 years no?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads