• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is the Armoury/Drake's shawl cardigan different from the Lockie Windsor shawl cardigan besides colour options? I own a Lockie Windsor shawl and based off the size charts, the sizing seems to be identical for The Armoury, Drake's and Lockie. Visually they appear the same, as well as material (geelong wool or cashmere) so I'm just curious...
Armoury knitwear is shorter in the body generally. I think the Armoury's shawl collar (that is, the collar itself) is shaped differently. I think Drake's shawl is bulkier. I could be wrong, though. Both shawls look more robust than the shawl on the Windsor model.

What TSS said. The Armoury’s model is shorter in the body and has a different shape on the shawl.

slows2k

Reaction score
This thread is a serious wool sweater information GOLDMINE. This discourse is the reason I keep coming back to SF.

On an entirely unrelated note: I received the Sunshine yellow merino/cashmere scarf as a birthday gift and could not be happier. I have little experience with scarves but the Drakes ones at $235.00 is MILES ahead of anything J.Crew at $100.00 or so. I know it's a bad comparison but its what I have to go on re: scarves.

Sammm

Reaction score
I would be more likely to agree with you with other types of garments. There are a bunch of knitwear makers in Scotland and most are quite good and individual brands will choose what colors they want to stock and sometimes will play with other details. However, in my experience, other more nitty-gritty things are changed much less often. A Shetland from Laurence Odie (I have them from a number of brands but the specs are almost always the same) feels very different than the ones from Harley. They are thicker, denser, scratchier, and warmer. Harley ones tend to be shorter, seamless, softer, and a bit more open. I like them both, but they are very different, and I would want them for different things. For instance, Harleys, because they are shorter, thinner, and don't wear as warm, are better under a jacket. Could Harley make a sweater like Odie and vice versa? Maybe, but they don't, at least not in my experience. Perhaps this has to do with the machines they use, or how they like to set those machines, or the yarns they like to use. I don't know. Maybe all these things could be tweaked and various manufacturers just don't like to.
Would you know something more or less as thick and scratchy as the Odie ones, but shorter?

Calanon

Reaction score
On the topic of cardigan comparison...
Is there any difference between this oneand the one Drake's normally offers?

Slh

Reaction score
Looks like at least one person thinks it is Scott and Charters.

I am still curious why this topic keeps coming up. From what I understand there are only a handful of Scottish knitwear manufacturers, and they produce for a wide variety of brands. The company making the purchase (in this case Drakes) gets to make tweaks to the style of the garment, in the case of Shetlands, how much it is brushed, length etc. and gets to choose colors etc. Sometimes the colors are exclusive to that brand. (See The Armory shawl collar cardigan from Lockie (I think) that fits very differently from other shawl collared cardigans from Lockie)

So an S&C Shetland purchased from Drakes may be very different in style, fit etc. from an S&C sweater purchased somewhere else.

That's true what you say, often Drake's make tweaks to their garment ( for example some of their footwear are astorflex rebranded tweaked in shape or appeareance), but I don't see anything different or peculiar about their shetlands and wanted to see if I could find something similar ( if not the same) for cheaper.

Thanks @TheShetlandSweater for the suggestions.
I own both jamieson's and harley. I really like jamieson's but are sold out in my size at end. so I was looking for an alternative and saw the drake's shetlands.
I have mixed feelings about my harley jumper: I really like the colour, fit and brushing but I don't care for the collar which I found a little to flimsy and prone to losing its shape and stretching unattractively. I bought my harley some years ago so it is possible bosie/harley fixed the problem but I've noticed the "stretched collar" is present in their stock photos so I guess they don't see it as a problem worth to be fixed or a problem at all. Maybe it's just a personal idiosyncrasy of mine.

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/...TY0wCiCZX9Kxjfhaxr/ugiepearl.jpg?format=2500w

Would you know something more or less as thick and scratchy as the Odie ones, but shorter?
perhaps jamieson's. My jumper at a size 36" measures 23.5inches in back length. I don't think bigger sizes are much longer, you could check the size chart on endclothing.

Last edited:

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
On the topic of cardigan comparison...
Is there any difference between this oneand the one Drake's normally offers?

I think Drake's uses bigger buttons (which I like). There could be other differences like fit.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score

This might be terrible advice. They may be shaped differently in other ways. They may not even be made by Odie (though you can always check for that LOKL tag near the waist). That being said, you could try O'Connell's womens Shetlands. They are definitely shorter. You can ask O'Connell's how they compare fit-wise to the mens. You can ask if the maker is the same, if the thickness is the same, etc.

Sammm

Reaction score
This might be terrible advice. They may be shaped differently in other ways. They may not even be made by Odie (though you can always check for that LOKL tag near the waist). That being said, you could try O'Connell's womens Shetlands. They are definitely shorter. You can ask O'Connell's how they compare fit-wise to the mens. You can ask if the maker is the same, if the thickness is the same, etc.
I’m not in the US so I don’t think I’ll take that plunge, but thanks for the nicely unorthodox advice.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seconding this. I actually take a women’s small in Odie/Harley shetlands. 23” back length and 19” pit-to-pit. It’s a traditional fit so they’re basically just shorter versions of the men’s’ IME.

mbb355

Reaction score
have anyone bought the White cotton crew neck

I wear 15.5 in the oxfords, 40 in knitwear, Medium in the overshirts, and 38 in sportscoats. Do any have any sizing advice?

I'd go with Medium. I wear 15 in oxfords, 36 in knitwear, never tried the overshirts, and I'm somewhere between 36-38 in tailored jackets. The small tee worked for me. It's great.

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score
I'd go with Medium. I wear 15 in oxfords, 36 in knitwear, never tried the overshirts, and I'm somewhere between 36-38 in tailored jackets. The small tee worked for me. It's great.

thank you so much for the reply! I just ordered the white in a size 40

mbb355

Reaction score
thank you so much for the reply! I just ordered the white in a size 40
Oof, sorry, forgot they used numerical sizing. Just confirmed I ordered size 36 and it fits great. I probably would’ve recommended 38 for you, but 40 should also work fine, particularly since it’s less essential that a tee fits perfectly (particularly if you tuck it in, as I’m inclined to do). What’s great about it is it’s heavier than most tees, with a thick collar and high neckline. So perfect for layering under v-neck sweaters or overshirts. I often find that lighter-weight tees with thinner collars or lower necklines tend to look flimsy, kind of like underwear, and therefore should never be visible. But more luxe tees like this are completely different, and have a cool, almost vintage aesthetic.

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score
Oof, sorry, forgot they used numerical sizing. Just confirmed I ordered size 36 and it fits great. I probably would’ve recommended 38 for you, but 40 should also work fine, particularly since it’s less essential that a tee fits perfectly (particularly if you tuck it in, as I’m inclined to do). What’s great about it is it’s heavier than most tees, with a thick collar and high neckline. So perfect for layering under v-neck sweaters or overshirts. I often find that lighter-weight tees with thinner collars or lower necklines tend to look flimsy, kind of like underwear, and therefore should never be visible. But more luxe tees like this are completely different, and have a cool, almost vintage aesthetic.

no worries, worst case hot wash to shrink them a bit, but i'm sure they'll fit fine

clemente21

Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads