• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Snagged a scarf that I think is leftover from last year, that I regretted not buying when I saw it in person....

Which one? Some of that stuff is definitely FW 19

mbb355

Reaction score
Sam Hober used to have them (and still might) in their regimental tie section.
Yeah I think that style of tie is a classic design called “artillery stripe.” It’s certainly not a Drakes original.

mbb355

Reaction score
Yeah I think that style of tie is a classic design called “artillery stripe.” It’s certainly not a Drakes original.
Whoops sorry, didn’t realize I was scooped by like five other people

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is where I saw it!
I regretted not getting it then. When I did decide to to order it (last winter) it was gone.

Hah, they actually steamed the floor model for me (without asking) as it was part of a display

Slh

Reaction score
Does somebody know who is the maker of the Shetland sweaters?

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who makes Drake's shetland sweaters these days, Jamiesons?
Almost positive it’s Scott & Charters

Looks like at least one person thinks it is Scott and Charters.

I am still curious why this topic keeps coming up. From what I understand there are only a handful of Scottish knitwear manufacturers, and they produce for a wide variety of brands. The company making the purchase (in this case Drakes) gets to make tweaks to the style of the garment, in the case of Shetlands, how much it is brushed, length etc. and gets to choose colors etc. Sometimes the colors are exclusive to that brand. (See The Armory shawl collar cardigan from Lockie (I think) that fits very differently from other shawl collared cardigans from Lockie)

So an S&C Shetland purchased from Drakes may be very different in style, fit etc. from an S&C sweater purchased somewhere else.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score

No clue. Drake's says they are made in the Scottish Borders. If true, that rules out suspects like Jamieson's, Laurence Odie, and Harley (which would have been my guess otherwise based on the fact that they line up with Drake's in a number of other regards: shorter body, seamless construction, making "Shetlands" out of lambswool. Lockie makes in the Scottish Borders and they do make a lambswool "Shetland", but I have never seen them do seamless sweaters like the ones Drake's is selling. I think there are a good number of other makers in the Scottish Borders, but I don't know enough about them to comment.

Regardless, if you want brushed Shetlands and don't want to buy them from Drake's for whatever reason, there are a number of places that sell them.

Laurence Odie: get from J. Press (the Shaggy Dog), or End (Shetland Woollen Co.) or Northern Fells (also SWC)
Jamieson's: get from No Man Walks Alone, or Beige Habilleur
Harley: get from Bosie or a number of other places

If you want unbrushed Shetlands, then you have many more options.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Looks like at least one person thinks it is Scott and Charters.

I am still curious why this topic keeps coming up. From what I understand there are only a handful of Scottish knitwear manufacturers, and they produce for a wide variety of brands. The company making the purchase (in this case Drakes) gets to make tweaks to the style of the garment, in the case of Shetlands, how much it is brushed, length etc. and gets to choose colors etc. Sometimes the colors are exclusive to that brand. (See The Armory shawl collar cardigan from Lockie (I think) that fits very differently from other shawl collared cardigans from Lockie)

So an S&C Shetland purchased from Drakes may be very different in style, fit etc. from an S&C sweater purchased somewhere else.

I would be more likely to agree with you with other types of garments. There are a bunch of knitwear makers in Scotland and most are quite good and individual brands will choose what colors they want to stock and sometimes will play with other details. However, in my experience, other more nitty-gritty things are changed much less often. A Shetland from Laurence Odie (I have them from a number of brands but the specs are almost always the same) feels very different than the ones from Harley. They are thicker, denser, scratchier, and warmer. Harley ones tend to be shorter, seamless, softer, and a bit more open. I like them both, but they are very different, and I would want them for different things. For instance, Harleys, because they are shorter, thinner, and don't wear as warm, are better under a jacket. Could Harley make a sweater like Odie and vice versa? Maybe, but they don't, at least not in my experience. Perhaps this has to do with the machines they use, or how they like to set those machines, or the yarns they like to use. I don't know. Maybe all these things could be tweaked and various manufacturers just don't like to.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would be more likely to agree with you with other types of garments. There are a bunch of knitwear makers in Scotland and most are quite good and individual brands will choose what colors they want to stock and sometimes will play with other details. However, in my experience, other more nitty-gritty things are changed much less often. A Shetland from Laurence Odie (I have them from a number of brands but the specs are almost always the same) feels very different than the ones from Harley. They are thicker, denser, scratchier, and warmer. Harley ones tend to be shorter, seamless, softer, and a bit more open. I like them both, but they are very different, and I would want them for different things. For instance, Harleys, because they are shorter, thinner, and don't wear as warm, are better under a jacket. Could Harley make a sweater like Odie and vice versa? Maybe, but they don't, at least not in my experience. Perhaps this has to do with the machines they use, or how they like to set those machines, or the yarns they like to use. I don't know. Maybe all these things could be tweaked and various manufacturers just don't like to.

This is my exact experience with Laurence Odie v. Harley shetlands. I have 5 Odies and 4 Harleys in rotation, and the Harleys are all knit considerably thinner.

Do you have any idea why/how the Harleys are knit thinner than the Odies? I know they all use the same JC Rennie yarn, and the ply looks similar to my eyes. I think the Harleys are knit more “open” but how is this achieved? Less tension on the machine?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads