• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I still lust after a KS traveler coat. Staying on the coat subject, I'm planning on getting a nice, chunky cardigan for work from home to layer over a shirt or less textured sweater e.g. a rollneck. But I also imagine potentially layering a cardigan under outerwear. Is this how it should look tho? The raised shawl collard cardigan against the coat just seems...vulva-like?

1_7.jpg

I think that's just lookbook styling.

Someone on here once posted a photo of himself wearing a chunky shawl collar cardigan to a museum. I thought he looked great (wish I remembered the person's name so I could pull the photo). He wore the cardigan in lieu of outerwear. But I normally think of a chunky shawl collar cardigan as an at-home garment, and certainly not something you'd layer under outerwear. Not sure I would even wear it outside the house.

I do think they work well for holiday entertaining (assuming that ever comes back). IMO, when you have a holiday party, or attend one, and think a sport coat might look too formal, a chunky cardigan works well in lieu of a tailored jacket.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s not one made by Drake’s, but by Scott and Charters, but I happily wear my chunky shawl collar cardigan out and about and sometimes in the office in the later days of the week when I was going.

Though I too would never think to layer it under a coat.

gardenvariety

Reaction score
It’s not one made by Drake’s, but by Scott and Charters, but I happily wear my chunky shawl collar cardigan out and about and sometimes in the office in the later days of the week when I was going.

Though I too would never think to layer it under a coat.

Wearing it under a coat depends on practicality -- how cold your climate is.

I live somewhere with real seasons and I like to layer my heavyweight shawl collar cardi under a coat, since it's super warm and sooooo cozy in deep winter -- especially when the collar's flipped up.

Personally I think it looks fine worn under a coat. It's not the BEST look but not bad by any means.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing it under a coat depends on practicality -- how cold your climate is.

I live somewhere with real seasons and I like to layer my heavyweight shawl collar cardi under a coat, since it's super warm and sooooo cozy in deep winter -- especially when the collar's flipped up.

Personally I think it looks fine worn under a coat. It's not the BEST look but not bad by any means.

Personally I imagine if I lived somewhere with real true winters I’d still reach for a different combination but I don’t hate the look completely, it’s just not my thing.

But I’m also skewed because where I am the winters are pretty damn mild and I run hot so it’s definitely not required.

willyto

Reaction score
If it's not too windy one of those shawl collar cardigans is perfect for a colder day. I see it as a piece of outerwear rather than a layer. Layering that shaw collar looks weird because the only way is to pop up the collar.

rasmusp

Reaction score
I think that's just lookbook styling.

Someone on here once posted a photo of himself wearing a chunky shawl collar cardigan to a museum. I thought he looked great (wish I remembered the person's name so I could pull the photo). He wore the cardigan in lieu of outerwear. But I normally think of a chunky shawl collar cardigan as an at-home garment, and certainly not something you'd layer under outerwear. Not sure I would even wear it outside the house.

I do think they work well for holiday entertaining (assuming that ever comes back). IMO, when you have a holiday party, or attend one, and think a sport coat might look too formal, a chunky cardigan works well in lieu of a tailored jacket.

Interesting. I probably wear a shawl to the office once a week in the autumn and winter (including today). I think they look fully appropriate if they aren't too loose.

I think Brian Cox wears a shawl to the office as well in Succession, but I guess he can do whatever he wants :)

At the moment I wear a vest on top of my shawl cardigan outside, which, if nothing else, is very practical!

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoy wearing shawl cardigans almost as much as a sport coat these days. I tend to agree with Derek as I find the (Scott & Charters/Drake's) at least the wool heavy rib ones add a ton of visual weight to my frame, so I have added a few RRL pieces. They tend to be a tighter knit and slim(ish) fit and while they are not CM they provide a nice option for a casual look with some texture and heft for the weekend.

I do wear the sh*t out of my wool ones at home though.

-DL

mbb355

Reaction score
I enjoy wearing shawl cardigans almost as much as a sport coat these days. I tend to agree with Derek as I find the (Scott & Charters/Drake's) at least the wool heavy rib ones add a ton of visual weight to my frame, so I have added a few RRL pieces. They tend to be a tighter knit and slim(ish) fit and while they are not CM they provide a nice option for a casual look with some texture and heft for the weekend.

I do wear the sh*t out of my wool ones at home though.

-DL
I actually find the Drakes shawl cardigans pretty slim-fitting. Sort of like a contemporary take on the classic Scottish shawl cardigans, which are much boxier and roomier.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually find the Drakes shawl cardigans pretty slim-fitting. Sort of like a contemporary take on the classic Scottish shawl cardigans, which are much boxier and roomier.

Agreed. For me its the wool itself, more so than the cut, which is just lofty and thick and wears like a puffy jacket. Great if you have a small frame which I do not.

-DL

rasmusp

Reaction score
Last year the brown and the green ones fitted slimmer (the "seasonal" colors). They had a golden/yellowish care tag inside. The navy one had a white label inside and fitted more loose. I gifted that one to my father-in-law as it was too big.

Please share kinks to nice alternatives to the Drake's ones.

I have a inis meain shawl, but I prefer the Drake's ones; they are a bit longer.

mbb355

Reaction score
Last year the brown and the green ones fitted slimmer (the "seasonal" colors). They had a golden/yellowish care tag inside. The navy one had a white label inside and fitted more loose. I gifted that one to my father-in-law as it was too big.

Please share kinks to nice alternatives to the Drake's ones.

I have a inis meain shawl, but I prefer the Drake's ones; they are a bit longer.
I am a big fan of Colhays shawl cardigans. They are pretty close to Drakes, but a bit cheaper. I also find them heftier and longer, and they have horn buttons instead of leather.

For something much more affordable, Spier & Mackay just released some shawl cardigans in merino wool. Can't vouch for them but they look fine and come in lots of different colors.

upflup

Reaction score
I'll also throw this into the ring for anyone searching:

Limited colors, but I recently purchased the grey version and I really like it for the price. The wool is nice and spongey and the fit is very "regular".

mbb355

Reaction score
I'll also throw this into the ring for anyone searching:

Limited colors, but I recently purchased the grey version and I really like it for the price. The wool is nice and spongey and the fit is very "regular".
Looks nice. Stock looks very limited. I also prefer Drakes charcoal to this lighter grey.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads