• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, I swear I'll post pics of my new Drake's tie when it arrives tomorrow. In the meantime everyone should read this:

View attachment 1477151

This is the only Joe Rogan interview I ever sat through: He lets Wallace-Wells do all the talking.

Listen to the one the did with Killer Mike, it's really good. Not a fan of Rogan, but am a big fan of Killer Mike.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listen to the one the did with Killer Mike, it's really good. Not a fan of Rogan, but am a big fan of Killer Mike.
Thanks but I really, really dislike Rogan. I think one is all I can stand.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Sorry to jump in, but @smittycl and @TheShetlandSweater you are indeed talking past each other. However, only Smitty is correct. Shetland is talking about global temperatures and Smitty is talking about regional weather patterns - it is the difference between looking at a single data point and looking at an average. The global temp rising even a "small" amount has a tremendous effect on regional weather, and is why Smitty can "feel" the global temperature change.

Take the upper few meters of the ocean, which globally has "increased (temperature) by approximately 0.13°C per decade over the past 100 years" (NOAA 1). While that seems like too small amount for a living organism to feel, it actually creates a huge difference for specific organisms in specific regions. Like coral, which is seeing an increase in occurrences of coral bleaching due to the increase in average ocean temperature caused by man made greenhouse gas emissions (NOAA 2). The coral certainly feel that 0.13°C/decade change. In fact, they feel it so acutely in certain regions that it's killing them!

And yes, you may say that humans are very different organisms than that weird-little-ocean-creature-that-seems-like-a-rock-but-supposedly-is-alive. And you would be right. But the analogy is a good one, because human's actually are not so great at withstanding higher temperatures (CDC), and exposure to extreme heat as a result of man made climate change is a huge problem already faced by millions (Atlantic Council)

Lastly, I'm sorry. I know this is a thread about an English clothing company and that this conversation about climate is a few days old, but, I mean come on! I couldn't just let that sit.

1) The fact that coral can "feel" such small differences in temperature does not mean that humans can. (Also, there are many other factors affecting coral bleaching, such as ocean acidification. The link you gave says as much. Also, it is unclear that coral can feel such differences, but more on that below.) You then point to something from the CDC that does not show what you want it to show. It shows that humans don't do well in extreme heat. It does not show that your average human can "feel" the difference.

2) To elaborate on that point, there is a difference in an organism reacting to a stimulus and feeling that stimulus/being able to differentiate between it and a similar stimulus. For example, we would expect more people to suffer heat stroke in 105 degree weather than in 103 degree weather. That does not mean that the average person can tell the difference between the two. The debate, as I understood it, was weather one could feel DC winters becoming more moderate, not whether they were becoming more moderate. Let's be generous and say that the average winter temperature in DC was increasing by 0.1 degree per year. I do not think your average person could tell that the average temperature is increasing if this is the case. Your average person cannot tell the difference between 39.9 degrees and 40 degrees. Furthermore, your average person cannot mentally average out how cold/warm it felt on each day over the course of a winter. Some days will be colder than normal and some warmer. I do not think any person could feel such differences over the course of a winter. Perhaps if there were more extreme weather events one might notice that, but it is actually the case that certain extreme weather events, e.g. blizzards, are becoming more common in the US (not sure about DC in particular).

3) There is indeed a difference between local and global averages. I acknowledged as much earlier. However, you did not show that DC winters (what we were mainly talking about) have gotten warmer at a meaningfully different rate than the rest of the world, or that such differences can be felt.

4) You talk about heat waves and how they affect urban areas. This is a good point. However, we were mainly talking about winters becoming milder, not heat waves in the summer. Also, although one can definitely feel a heat wave, I am not sure that anyone can really tell that heat waves are becoming more common/getting worse in his area. They are statistically rare enough in a given place that I don't think a person could really discern any trends merely from living in a given place. Some years you may get 0 heat waves, some years you might get 3, or 2, or 1, or 5. I think these numbers will look pretty random if you are just looking at one particular location.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
when you're trying to enjoy classic menswear but then remember average global temperatures are rising at an alarming rate

CwN4T2XVYAEqwVJ.jpeg

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Oh dear, I managed to restrain myself the last time...

Mr Fox is exactly right, there's very much a local effect. I'd guess it takes an awful lot of energy to increase the temperature of oceans. If oceans have increased less than the average some other places must necessarily heat faster than the average...

I always like the IPCC's graphs. Here is one on local warming from SR15, chapter 1.

Figure-1.3.png

Sure. But would one be able to feel that from year to year or even from decade to decade? I don't think so. From this figure, it looks like DC has warmed about 1.5 C from 1850-1900. Let's even say 2 C from 1900. That's 3.6 degrees F over 110ish years, or about 0.033F per year. I doubt anyone can feel that. I doubt anyone could even feel triple that.

I think some people have gotten annoyed because they think I am making some sort of claim about the reality of climate change when I am clearly not. I am merely saying that people can't really feel long-term trends in weather. I don't know why this has met with so much resistance.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, getting back to Classic Menswear, here is the tie that arrived tonight from The Armoury. Wearing it tomorrow.

A82FBE94-CBB1-4D13-9390-DDCD74FC328E.jpeg

polyfusion

Reaction score
Drop 5 is GREAT
So many looks here I think we’ve been waiting for.

some highlights for me were these grey suits.
1602748865207.jpeg

1602748884610.jpeg

also really into their coats this season:

1602748969250.jpeg

1602748996874.jpeg

Missed this Cheaney for Drakes shoes too.
Perfect autumn winter shoe, and there’s a few variations on design.

1602749358287.jpeg

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drop 5 is GREAT
So many looks here I think we’ve been waiting for.

some highlights for me were these grey suits.

also really into their coats this season:

View attachment 1477502

View attachment 1477503

Missed this Cheaney for Drakes shoes too.
Perfect autumn winter shoe, and there’s a few variations on design.
Yeah, coats look very nice except the plaid one is casentino? Pass. Was just looking at the Alpaca flannel suit separates. Really nice look but $2k for synthetic blends? Look book is interesting but I’m scratching my head a bit this morning.

Looks like we’ll see this stuff at another “archive” sale next year, steeply discounted and available in every size. I’ll wave off before I get too snide...

...I am at least wearing my new gold tie this morning...

Last edited:

Thibault S

Reaction score
Amazing lookbook and aesthetic as always but what the **** with prices? For example, SEH Kelly balmacaan which is an amazing stuff made in London is half the price of those overcoats.
Same for suit, £990 for a ready to wear jacket is overprized I think. Am I missing something?

vida

Reaction score
Pricing is to be expected. Drake’s is now a fashion brand...and they are doing a very good job at it.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pricing is to be expected. Drake’s is now a fashion brand...and they are doing a very good job at it.
It was funny to see many of the items I quibbled about a while back on serious sale and still available in almost all sizes. I wonder who they are aiming at? I don’t see ads for them in magazines and such if they are trying to compete with the Italian companies. Of course I could be missing them.

I spent quite a bit there since Covid started. Japanese linen shirts, espadrilles, ties, scarves, work shirts and such. I guess I’ll just have to cherry pick as I can’t seem to embrace their wider offerings.

pblzqlcn

Reaction score
i didnt like the lookbook
because of the boring modeling mostly
clothes are ok i guess
nothing useful for me although the cotton/linen and brushed cotton shirts are nice
trousers with triple pleats :(

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the shift towards traditional tailoring in this look book. Anybody know whether the measurements on the website are accurate?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads