• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ziggy1984

Reaction score
Does anybody think the buttoning point of db games blazer is too high?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anybody think the buttoning point of db games blazer is too high?

I think it's because it's a shorter jacket. When you move up the hem, you have to move everything else along with it to keep proportions. If the buttoning point were at the waist, the distance between the buttoning point and the hem would look oddly short. Jackets like that are also typically short to make them look casual.

You see this in other fashion lines when they do a shorter, more casual version of a traditional sport coat (e.g. EG Bedford, ts(s) quilted jacket, etc).

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious if anyone can tell me how Drake's blazers compare to Ring Jacket in terms of fit. Boxier?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't pay too much attention to Drake's or this thread, but always spend some time looking around again when Jason Jules pops up. Guy just makes it all look effortless. Anyhow, wanted to ask if the denim has always been as high waisted as it in the current lookbook and if so whether there are pics of anyone here wearing? Wondering if it looks as 'dad jean' IRL as it does online (which is good imo).

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious if anyone can tell me how Drake's blazers compare to Ring Jacket in terms of fit. Boxier?

I was only able to try on a few sport coats last fall briefly at a trunk show but I would say it more matters which RJ models you are comparing. The Armoury models I have are more TTS and a little bit less fitted while the Japanese models I have to size up from a 50 to a 52 or even 54 sometimes.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anyone know who is making their corduroy six-panel ball caps? They say 'Made in Portugal' when you click to an individual item.

I like the designs, but £75 each seems steep.

The value is almost purely in the design. Even if you found the maker, they're not going to have that graphic. Without the graphic, it's just a size panel corduroy cap, which you can find almost anywhere.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
87bbadf6-ba42-450c-ba38-804a04599435.png

polyfusion

Reaction score
The value is almost purely in the design. Even if you found the maker, they're not going to have that graphic. Without the graphic, it's just a size panel corduroy cap, which you can find almost anywhere.

well put. I’d be interested if anyone was actually aware of any other similar makers with good designs, closer to the £30 mark.. rather than necessarily the exact same maker.

bostndreamdonut

Reaction score
I love the accessories, but the RTW line was much better in the pre-Mark Cho owned era.

This insinuates that Mark Cho had something to do with the shift towards a more casual, playful Drake's. If we look at the Armoury, Mark Cho has pretty conservative tastes. I suspect this evolution is more Michael Hill and his team getting bored and wanting to experiment more than anything else, which in a scene full of navy blazers and grey flannel pants, consistently brings excitement (and chagrin over pricing) every season.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
well put. I’d be interested if anyone was actually aware of any other similar makers with good designs, closer to the £30 mark.. rather than necessarily the exact same maker.

I'm a big fan of vintage Ralph Lauren (and a lot of modern Ralph Lauren). I have a bunch of baseball caps, including the one released this season from Drake's. The Drake's one has a pretty normal silhouette -- not overly long bill, not too short. Also not reinforced at the front like a baseball cap, but also not a dad cap. I don't really have any other caps like it, but if I were looking for an alternative, I'd probably do vintage Polo. You can look up Polo Sportsman, Respect the Wilderness, P-Wing, Polo USA, Polo Country, etc.

Brand new, I think RL caps are like $60, which is pretty close to Drake's. (Meaning the ones with good designs, the basic pony logo cap is like $30, but it's kinda mall-ish). You can find used ones for cheaper on eBay. Rare ones can be as high as $150. Just search around.

m_5a614c34caab44c6853d2ec2.jpg

m_5b7dc9e75bbb8037399801ad.jpg

1cce7c41c0acfe932a942160eb86d522.jpg

m_5aae70ff46aa7c5b73fd8877.jpg

m_5ab8dec39cc7efbb9d403052.jpg

tumblr_b629b826c0a797e60a760c12f742ff9a_f71f6fd4_540.jpg

tumblr_87374c3e78867b59a05af549f4379252_b491e557_540.jpg

Filson also does a pretty simple angler cap. Not really the same vibe as Drake's. A bit sportier and traditionally masculine in how it references outdoor activities. The Drake's one is kind of fun. Different vibes, but I think can be mostly worn in the same ways.

IMG_9155.jpg

Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of vintage Ralph Lauren (and a lot of modern Ralph Lauren). I have a bunch of baseball caps, including the one released this season from Drake's. The Drake's one has a pretty normal silhouette -- not overly long bill, not too short. Also not reinforced at the front like a baseball cap, but also not a dad cap. I don't really have any other caps like it, but if I were looking for an alternative, I'd probably do vintage Polo. You can look up Polo Sportsman, Respect the Wilderness, P-Wing, Polo USA, Polo Country, etc.

Brand new, I think RL caps are like $60, which is pretty close to Drake's. (Meaning the ones with good designs, the basic pony logo cap is like $30, but it's kinda mall-ish). You can find used ones for cheaper on eBay. Rare ones can be as high as $150. Just search around.

View attachment 1440755

At the risk of bringing a (too) lengthy discussion from another thread over here, I want to say that this hat is totally awesome and I would wear it in a heartbeat.

polyfusion

Reaction score

View attachment 1440755
View attachment 1440756
View attachment 1440757
View attachment 1440758
View attachment 1440759
View attachment 1440761
View attachment 1440762

Filson also does a pretty simple angler cap. Not really the same vibe as Drake's. A bit sportier and traditionally masculine in how it references outdoor activities. The Drake's one is kind of fun. Different vibes, but I think can be mostly worn in the same ways.

View attachment 1440766

Wow - what an amazing and informative response. With wonderful examples. Thankyou.

I will be researching these shortly.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
At the risk of bringing a (too) lengthy discussion from another thread over here, I want to say that this hat is totally awesome and I would wear it in a heartbeat.

This one is on eBay right now.

Some of these are highly sought after (the one below is $180, although I think if you waited, you can find one for $125). But Ralph has come up with all sorts of great designs over the years. Some have just become collectibles in certain circles.

RL recently re-released their "Respect the Wilderness" cap. I think it retailed for $50 or $60. This was a few seasons ago.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads