• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Okay, thought about it for a while. I went back and looked at all my posts here over the past few months. Said my peace I guess and repetition is unproductive. Sometimes I find myself wondering why I'm over 50 and arguing clothes with strangers in the first place but that's another story.

Unfollowing this and the other affiliate threads. Probably best to start disengaging from SF overall I think. Too much time spent here.

Sorry that my comment was harsh. I obviously don't mean that you should leave StyleForum or even this thread. I appreciate and enjoy your participation here. I also don't mind criticism of brands or products. That wasn't really my point so much that I find constant negativity to be tiring. I also feel like there's a difference between measured negativity, like when someone is just critiquing something in a friendly way, and when someone is seemingly just dampening other people's enthusiasm. I realize that's probably not your intent, but to me, that's how it often comes off.

For me, it's like, I'm just having a good day, and then it sucks to log on here and read "that sucks," "this is silly," or "this is stupid." Or "people who buy this are idiots." There are plenty of threads where people critique brands they love, but the thread also generally has a positive vibe.

Anyway, I hope you stick around.

Last edited:

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry that my comment was harsh. I obviously don't mean that you should leave StyleForum or even this thread. I appreciate and enjoy your participation here. I also don't mind criticism of brands or products. That wasn't really my point so much that I find constant negativity to be tiring. I also feel like there's a difference between measured negativity, like when someone is just critiquing something in a friendly way, and when someone is seemingly just dampening other people's enthusiasm. I realize that's probably not your intent, but to me, that's how it often comes off.

For me, it's like, I'm just having a good day, and then it sucks to log on here and read "that sucks," "this is silly," or "this is stupid." Or "people who buy this are idiots." There are plenty of threads where people critique brands they love, but the thread also generally has a positive vibe.

@smittycl I agree with DWW and I hope you do stick around as a self-professed fan of Drake's

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm loving this camp liner jacket!

dd8a2b0522fb9cc8e323eafbeb037e937032157e.jpg
8685bf97d63826b845c0086845b2d0c6d8c70700.jpg

rasmusp

Reaction score
I ordered the off-white Aran style jumper from Mr Porter, following their advice to size up. I got the size 42. Sadly, I should have gotten my usual size 40 because this one is just too big in the body. 40 is sold out on Mr Porter.

I just received the UK42 Aran knit and it is indeed huge! The chest is 52"!
It a beautiful jumper so it's a bummer that it doesn't follow what I believed to be the "usual" Drake's sizing...

On pricing, I think some categories, like knitwear, offer quite decent value, while other categories, like tailoring, seem somewhat steep, even on sale.

I find a lot of Drake's items quite fun and "refreshing". I tend to like their material choices, such as cotton and castetino (I'm considering a navy castetino coat next time I'm in Tuscany)....

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received the UK42 Aran knit and it is indeed huge! The chest is 52"!
It a beautiful jumper so it's a bummer that it doesn't follow what I believed to be the "usual" Drake's sizing...

On pricing, I think some categories, like knitwear, offer quite decent value, while other categories, like tailoring, seem somewhat steep, even on sale.

I find a lot of Drake's items quite fun and "refreshing". I tend to like their material choices, such as cotton and castetino (I'm considering a navy castetino coat next time I'm in Tuscany)....

I ended up returning it to Mr Porter and getting the UK40 in the sale restock. It was hard to return it since its so nice but it was the right thing to do. UK40 fits properly and I usually take a UK40 for their jumpers.

What size do you usually take in their jumpers?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the sincere comments but I think SF has mostly run it's course for me. I really liked the End of the Sartorial road thread as I've been feeling that way for quite a while. Most threads here have gotten circular, always coming back to the same arguments.

Anyway, I'll stay active in the DC thread. I'm sure I'll pop in occasionally elsewhere, like on NMWA if I have a question or LuxeSwap if I'm selling something (amazing Paul Stuart cashmere parka in 42 coming up from me soon, BTW as wifey just got me a Zegna parka as a gift) but I think I can find better uses of my time in other activities. Cheers!

catchh

Reaction score
I wonder how the quality is of the new white labeled items are that are made in Portugal. It reminds me of how Margaret Howell has MHL, not as premium as their mainline stuff. It looks like Drake’s is doing similar with the made in Portugal white labeled items? except the prices aren’t lower (e.g. the chore coat) and the quality might not be up to par?

ezev

Reaction score
I like to imagine myself eating pasta in a Florentine dungeon restaurant with my Drake's suit on, OCBD with the collar buttons undone. Or riding the cable car in Lisboa in my brown glen plaid linen suit.
I'll actually be in London this weekend so planning on visiting the store in person and seeing what the hullabaloo is all about.

That is all.

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't the chore coat suede? Price doesn't seem that crazy considering the material.

catchh

Reaction score
The new cotton ones are made in Portugal this time. Last season they were made in Italy.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to see anyone go but this isn’t that hard.

the words “How much? But it’s just a...” can be applied to almost every item posted on this forum.
The response “yes, but it’s the perfect ... for me” applies equally with tees, ties, topcoats, watches and boots.

Reactions: XWT

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was one who complained about Drake’s prices, but bought items on sale. Ironically, they are super awesome, unique pieces that have received more compliments than any of my other recent purchases and am now more likely to purchase at full price. Notable winners are the navy quilted liner that Gerry posted and this gilet.

A9CAE911-D702-42C4-9144-7E370A815601.jpeg

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was one who complained about Drake’s prices, but bought items on sale. Ironically, they are super awesome, unique pieces that have received more compliments than any of my other recent purchases and am now more likely to purchase at full price. Notable winners are the navy quilted liner that Gerry posted and this gilet.

View attachment 1332388

That looks great! You know it's next level when you match your knit to the cubicle door ?

I got that gilet as well. It was too much for me at full price but was great in the sale.

Some of the stuff, like the cashmere jumpers with the big D, don't appeal to me. Some of their other offerings are, as you say, unique.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I must say that the cubicle pictured is actually a bathroom stall. Some still treat it like a cubicle, though...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads