• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doing a dub FIH with cashmere is a bold move. I wore a Drake's cashmere by way of Sid Mashburn the other day, and its natural state in a FIH looked more akin to a dub FIH.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doing a dub FIH with cashmere is a bold move. I wore a Drake's cashmere by way of Sid Mashburn the other day, and its natural state in a FIH looked more akin to a dub FIH.
This one is soft and not very thick. I have some other Drake's winter ties that would be near impossible to double.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does Drake's make any 9cm ties?
I wish they would. I find most of their offerings too skinny.
I remember reading about them having a MTM program but I'm not sure if it's still going on.

Concur that 9cm is a better width. 8cm is doable, (7 is right out, in the words of Michael Palin) I wish they offered 9cm OTR.

I can verify that they still offer the MTO program. Although the service is no longer available on the website, it is available in person.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course my knot-tying Jedi powers are not the greatest. The tie is long so I'll practice wrapping it twice and see what happens. Any advice on four-in-hand for 8cm ties? I never have this problem with 9cm versions. In fact the HN White, Paul Stuart, Shibumi and Brioni ties I have basically dimple on their own.

For an 8cm tie, single four in hand should make a perfect dimple. Try forming the dimple with your fingers before tightening the knot so that you are effectively locking in your desired dimple shape.

I would add that some fabrics and some linings dimple badly because they are too stiff or too flimsy.

flashjack

Reaction score
Flannel and twill work shirts arrived, unwashed the twill feels as slim fitting as my washed regular OCBDs in the same size. Too late now but I'd agree with @Gus and size up in future.

The flannel is more generous and I really like the slubby fabric. Also came with a pair of collar stays?

Reactions: Gus

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flannel and twill work shirts arrived, unwashed the twill feels as slim fitting as my washed regular OCBDs in the same size. Too late now but I'd agree with @Gus and size up in future.

The flannel is more generous and I really like the slubby fabric. Also came with a pair of collar stays?
My Japanese slub flannel came with stays but the other flannel didn't.

I'd call them mid weight. They're definitely lighter than my Flat Head heavyweight flannel shirts.

My haul:

Plus an olive casentino gilet that's not pictured.

Nat25

Reaction score
My Japanese slub flannel came with stays but the other flannel didn't.

I'd call them mid weight. They're definitely lighter than my Flat Head heavyweight flannel shirts.

My haul:
View attachment 1319341

Plus an olive casentino gilet that's not pictured.

thought the olive gilet was sold out, when did you order? Must have just missed that one.

Nat25

Reaction score
Any one else get the liner jacket? The sleeves were wide so I sized down but it’s def a little slim. Looks good styled in this pic, but assume that’s why his sleeves are in his pocket — curious how others sized if they got it.

Attachments

• 76EDFBE1-7AA7-4BA1-B79A-91B86B8FE0F5.png
    76EDFBE1-7AA7-4BA1-B79A-91B86B8FE0F5.png
    744.3 KB · Views: 167

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_9544.jpg

Impulse purchase at Sid Mashburn today. It's actually burnt orange but came out very red in the pic. Sleeting and cold in DC today. Great day to shop in Georgetown followed by crab cakes at Martin's Tavern. Wifey picked up a bunch of stuff at Brooks Brothers. The Ann Mashburn wares are elegant but don't seem to work for her apparently.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads