• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buffon.bj

Reaction score
I got my needlecord suit today.
The trousers fit perfectly, and the jacket look good but it feels a bit tight in the shoulders.
Other measurements are pitch perfect (chest, length, sleeves...)
I don’t know if I should just not try and return it, or hope that break in and opening the back seam half an inch will make it work.
Opinions?

Can't a tailor also slightly stretch out the fabric with a steam iron? Slightly more room in the shoulder area should be very possible for a good tailor.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone get/try on the needle cord gilet? If so did you go tts?

yea I bought it yesterday with the casentino gilet.
It’s very much a straight fit hence the belt. I won’t use the belt and would have preferred an internal waist cinch but oh well

I don’t necessarily think it’s an upgrade over Barbour but I do prefer the fit of this and like how the gilet/liner look underneath it
To me it looks fantastic with flannel suits

Thanks, I appreciate it. Did you got with your blazer jacket size? So you think it can accommodate a blazer underneath?

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't a tailor also slightly stretch out the fabric with a steam iron? Slightly more room in the shoulder area should be very possible for a good tailor.

IfI have to do that I’ll return it instead.

Buffon.bj

Reaction score
I think this would really ruin the shape.

Well, I have done it numerous times because I have slightly winged scapula and forward rolled shoulders and I require a bit more room in the back and shoulders because of it. It hasn't ruined the shape of the jackets, but instead made them fit without pulling and creasing. Of course it depends on the fabric and how much you have to change, but small amounts of room come pretty easily with it.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you guys care, I decided to keep it. According to my trusted seamstress it doesn't need to be widened, and it fits well. She things my feeling of constriction comes from the fabric's stiffness.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

nycs10011

Reaction score
Not for the mainline Drake's as far as I've seen but Ben Silver, Paul Stuart, the Armoury (I think?) and other shops carry wider ~9mm Drake's made ties.

Not sure about a MTO program.

I prefer 9mm myself but love Drake's ties an

Does Drake's make any 9cm ties?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not for the mainline Drake's as far as I've seen but Ben Silver, Paul Stuart, the Armoury (I think?) and other shops carry wider ~9mm Drake's made ties.

Not sure about a MTO program.

I prefer 9mm myself but love Drake's ties an
HN White makes excellent ties and most are available as 9cm or 8cm. I have quite a few.

I'm wearing this really neat 8cm Drake's tie from the Armoury today. Biggest downside is the blade and tail of the tie are too narrow. I can't for the life of me get a good dimple out of this thing. Amazing wool/silk/cash blend and great color, though.

Capture.JPG

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course my knot-tying Jedi powers are not the greatest. The tie is long so I'll practice wrapping it twice and see what happens. Any advice on four-in-hand for 8cm ties? I never have this problem with 9cm versions. In fact the HN White, Paul Stuart, Shibumi and Brioni ties I have basically dimple on their own.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course my knot-tying Jedi powers are not the greatest. The tie is long so I'll practice wrapping it twice and see what happens. Any advice on four-in-hand for 8cm ties? I never have this problem with 9cm versions. In fact the HN White, Paul Stuart, Shibumi and Brioni ties I have basically dimple on their own.

YMMV but with all my ties of any width I've only done a double FIH and never had any dimple issues. Aside from the few issues with very thick wool or cashmere tings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads