• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else find the chukkas insanely uncomfortable? The heel in particular seems very crudely constructed, with a thick stitch/seam halfway up the inside. Caused me a blister almost immediately.

halls

Reaction score
I quite like the linen field jackets for spring.
@Gerry Nelson , do you still like your linen field jacket? I just received one and I love it - before I decide to keep it, I'm wondering how you think it would look after traveling for a few days. Devil-may-care-rumpling or just a train wreck of wrinkles?

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Gerry Nelson , do you still like your linen field jacket? I just received one and I love it - before I decide to keep it, I'm wondering how you think it would look after traveling for a few days. Devil-may-care-rumpling or just a train wreck of wrinkles?

I do still like it. The linen is a little stiff compared to my other linen jackets. I think it would get rumpled and I have no issue with that.

halls

Reaction score
Thank you!

Professor_3

Reaction score
Anyone ever get the chance to handle the brown salero suit from this season? It was on preorder from the website and the nyc store told me they'd contact me when they got it in. I ended up never hearing from them and the product page disappeared from the website. Did anyone who didn't preorder actually see one live?
I actually ordered one. It turned out to big a bit too large for me. The button holes were also pre-cut so the sleeves were a little long for my taste. I really wanted to like it but in the end I returned it. Interestingly enough, I spoke with Chris about it and he mentioned that the solero should actually fit on the slim side. I guess I'll try again later.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else find the chukkas insanely uncomfortable? The heel in particular seems very crudely constructed, with a thick stitch/seam halfway up the inside. Caused me a blister almost immediately.

No, not yet. I used to get Clarks for 50% off, but I would burn through those in 6 months. These thus far seem more comfortable and better constructed, but I haven't worn them enough yet.

Sammm

Reaction score

I ordered two sizes of the Astorflex Greenflex, and I’m torn on which pair to keep. Size 42 is wearable but definitely too roomy, both in the length in the width. Could make it work with insoles and thick socks. Size 41 is wearable but very snug, and for some reason the suede is much stiffer on this pair. I suppose they would break in. (Obviously the best solution would be to shell out for the Drake’s model in a half size...)

What I find striking is that the smaller size is disproportionally narrower than the larger size – it really looks and feels like a different width. I wonder if their sizing/production is a bit inconsistent.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered two sizes of the Astorflex Greenflex, and I’m torn on which pair to keep. Size 42 is wearable but definitely too roomy, both in the length in the width. Could make it work with insoles and thick socks. Size 41 is wearable but very snug, and for some reason the suede is much stiffer on this pair. I suppose they would break in. (Obviously the best solution would be to shell out for the Drake’s model in a half size...)

What I find striking is that the smaller size is disproportionally narrower than the larger size – it really looks and feels like a different width. I wonder if their sizing/production is a bit inconsistent.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing about sizing. I ended up buying a smaller size than I was expecting (half a size down from C&J), but I was swimming in the bigger sizes. They have loosened up a lot after wearing them but I still couldn't wear them for all-day walking, which is a shame because I bought them as a cheap, sturdy, weekend shoe.

Sammm

Reaction score
Yeah I was wondering the same thing about sizing. I ended up buying a smaller size than I was expecting (half a size down from C&J), but I was swimming in the bigger sizes. They have loosened up a lot after wearing them but I still couldn't wear them for all-day walking, which is a shame because I bought them as a cheap, sturdy, weekend shoe.

It’s an odd decision to not do half sizes; surely this leaves half the clientele somewhat unsatisfied?

I normally wear 42 / 42.5, so for whoever is on the fence, I’d say definitely order a half or whole size down.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm between sizes in Astorflex also. Wish they would make half-sizes.

A nice alternative is the Loake Sahara which comes in half-sizes and can be picked up easily at any of the English shoe stores. I don't know if Loake are still prohibiting their retailers from shipping to the US but you can always get the Herring branded version in that case.

$_86.JPG

ClinkingThearly

Reaction score
I'm between sizes in Astorflex also. Wish they would make half-sizes.

A nice alternative is the Loake Sahara which comes in half-sizes and can be picked up easily at any of the English shoe stores. I don't know if Loake are still prohibiting their retailers from shipping to the US but you can always get the Herring branded version in that case.

$_86.JPG
These look nice, Loake's website has some terrible photography of the products in my opinion haha. Hadn't considered these before you posted them, as I tend to take a half size in boots

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of it is made by William Lockie and the WL stuff is not generous fitting. A 42" sweater is exactly 21 inches across the chest and then tapers down through the waist. They have a pretty tight neck opening and they run short too IMO.

Last edited:

keepondigging

Reaction score
Also, and maybe this is old news, their shetland woolens look like they are made by Jamiesons:

Jamiesons_Fairisle_bright_SO_3_1024x1024.jpg

Michael_Jondral-8437_7943f26f-72c6-4284-993d-7c7afe16bf98_2048x.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads