1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Drake's London Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Sep 11, 2012.

Tags:
  1. TJK8118

TJK8118 New Member

So I just got my first two Drake's ties. Definitely the best foulards I've ever had. What color suit(s) would you say the blue one would go well with? I know it's blue (goes with everything) but this blue/red/gold combo has me questioning it's versatility.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  2. p.henrik

p.henrik Senior member

Anyone knows if and when there will be a factory sale at the London Haberdasher street location like last year (22 July)? Was a great sale and don't want to miss out.

3. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ties £85, squares £40

4. p.henrik

p.henrik Senior member

Not sure if that was in reposbe to me or not, but the factory sale is a much deeper discounted sale in their workshop only. Last year a good range of ties sold for 3 for £90

5. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Nope, I had just gotten the email that the sale had started so I posted it. The factory sale sounds similar to the Drake's pop-up at CHCM in NYC, which was pretty ridiculous. This website sale has great stuff but the discount is pretty ho-hum, compared to some other Drake's discounters.

6. nmoore82

nmoore82 Senior member

I'm hoping that should they do one of these sales this year it will be another joint effort with Edward Green. I have regretfully missed these in previous years and holding back on ordering online - just in case this is announced!

7. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Agreed these are pretty ho-hum prices. I don't remember the CHCM prices close to 3 for GBP 90, but definitely cheaper than this.

8. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

Yes, when Cappelli charges €80 for any bespoke 3-fold, it makes the Drake's sale this year seem lacklustre.

What is the deal with their Haberdasher Street shop? Has anyone been there? It's not really my part of town so I've never bothered to make the trip.

1 person likes this.
  9. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

+1, Drakes sale pricing is absurd. $150 shipped CONUS for a tie?

No thanks, I'll look elsewhere for a bespoke tie... Hober or Cappelli

10. Mute

Mute Senior member

Agreed. I like their ties, but can't see paying those prices.

11. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

It doesn't make sense considering Barney's sells them for $41 on clearance days.

12. nmoore82

nmoore82 Senior member

Been there twice before and have left with purchases.

Ties are £65 but from a couple of seasons ago and maybe the odd sample. A good selection nontheless.

However, every one of the ties I've bought from there are a little longer in length than a standard tie and from where I've bought a Drake's elsewhere - folding over twice when doing the knot normally does the trick but I presume they may have been initially made for the taller gent (and unable to sell first time around).

Also sell scarves (think around £90 for a cashmere) and pocket squares (about £30-40).

There is also some quite decent discounted RTW clothing too, such as shirts; jackets; Mackintosh x Drakes rain coats; pyjamas; knitwear etc.

If you're a fan of Drake's, then certainly worth the visit. Just a shame that the shop is only open during weekday office hours.

3 people like this.
  13. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

^^^ I agree. The haberdasher street shop is worth a visit, but frankly, not as many great bargains as I hoped. But I've found two cashmere sweaters there and a few ties. My biggest complaint with the factory store--and I've given them an earful twice now--is that they don't do VAT refunds, while the main shop in the West End does. Sort of kills the deal compared to the main shop.

1 person likes this.
  14. nmoore82

nmoore82 Senior member

Best off waiting for these clearance sales. I received an email today that Mr Porter's sale has final reductions up to 80% and checked out the Accessories section.

Drake's ties going for £34.50 and a couple of wool / silk blend scarves for £88 (from £295). Admiring these scarves big time!

15. Celadon

Celadon Senior member

The new unicorn squares, so far sold by Exquisite Trimmings (but presumably launched by Drake's after their summer sale), are identical in design to the Exquisite Trimmings-branded ones they sell. I assume they come from the same producer. They are however different from the previous Drake's unicorn squares from a couple of years ago.

-- In my view, the old ones had a nicer background pattern and overall design.

-- The new design has unicorns looking like llamas. (Admittedly, I have never seen a unicorn IRL. I'm not entirely certain they do not look like llamas. Or maybe these are supposed to be South American unicorns as opposed to the horse-like European type.)

16. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. nmoore82

nmoore82 Senior member

Drake's A/W 14 preview

Bird's of Paradise scarf looks alright and really like the autumnal colours of the donegal silk ties... that's about it though.

18. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Maiden voyage

[​IMG]

19. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

I was wondering if any of you guys would do me an favor of IDing if this is an authentic Drakes piece. (on a scarf)
    The tag is missing the apostrophe "s" in the Drake's that I see on many other tags.
    I do not know if drake's make other tags.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  20. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

That's legit. Drake's added the apostrophe when ownership changed hands from Michael Drake to Mark Cho and Michael Hill.