• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Of course I don't expect you to divulge secrets, but the whole "I know the inside track so you better just trust me" schtick is lame and completely insufficient for the purposes of a customer.

Good grief. Why does everything on this side of the board have to be an argument? Nobody was saying "you better trust me." You're reading too much into it. Believe me or don't -- I don't care.

As for "I don't expect you to divulge secrets," you were asking me directly earlier to say who makes their items. What else do you expect me to say besides what I said above?

So what you mean when you say prices are "in line" with their manufacturers is that they are marked up 15-30% as compared to other retailers, and sometimes more. Fair enough. Their Mayfair rent is high, their ad spend is big, and their styling and creative direction is exceptional. But let's not pretend they aren't more expensive than normal.

People earlier were saying that prices are outrageously high. I don't think they are, given the manufacturers they use. The stuff I've seen is about 10-20% higher, if it is indeed higher. And, again, there are often details that don't make comparisons easy -- perhaps you're located in the US and comparing regional prices aren't straightforward (importing as a store is different from importing as a customer, so it depends on what import price you're comparing). Sometimes they come in different fits that don't make comparisons so easy. Sometimes it's a different design.

If there are mark-ups, ~15% doesn't seem crazy to me, as I noted.

Anyway, my last post on the matter.

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So it's good to hear praise for their shirts, but how do they fit?

I've honestly just been using Proper Cloth lately for all my shirts but I really do like Drakes collars.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, a 41 Inglese would correspond to about a what? 15.5 classic fit, 16 slim fit?

JR Magat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, a 41 Inglese would correspond to about a what? 15.5 classic fit, 16 slim fit?
That seems correct to me. FWIW, I bought a used Drake's shirt in the B&S to confirm my sizing, or any place where you can buy/return if needed would be a good option too before ordering through Drake's.

The J

Reaction score
I asked if they were restocking their field jacket..

Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 9.50.03 am.png

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with most here. Drake's products are well made, beautiful, and tasteful- I just can't stomach the price they're asking for many of their things. They're very clearly making a choice by targeting a very specific customer, which is their prerogative. It's just a shame I'm no longer that customer.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with most here. Drake's products are well made, beautiful, and tasteful- I just can't stomach the price they're asking for many of their things. They're very clearly making a choice by targeting a very specific customer, which is their prerogative. It's just a shame I'm no longer that customer.

I find that most members of SF are value shoppers. Meaning, we almost never pay regular price for clothes.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I find that most members of SF are value shoppers. Meaning, we almost never pay regular price for clothes.

At least until we get into bespoke...

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drakes is, without question, expensive. However, the taste level, especially in that lookbook, is just exceptionally high. Drakes is the only brand where I could literally wear only Drakes and be very happy.

You know, I just browsed the new lookbook, and you are absolutely right. I think I might resent Drake's a bit subconsciously because of this: if I like their taste so much that one single brand aesthetic could stand in for my own efforts at taste and curation, what room does that leave to even attempt to pride oneself on sartorial discernment? I don't think I'll add much from this year's collection to my own wardrobe, but that's paradoxically because it would be so duplicative for me. If my house burned down tomorrow, I could conceivably replace everything but my suits and shoes from this year's lookbook and not come out too much worse.

Hat's off to whomever is behind this year's collections.

Last edited:

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
F/W 2016 is hands-down the best. Their choice of models certainly helps, though. I don't think there's a bone in my body that's even a fraction as cool as that guy.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
F/W 2016 is hands-down the best. Their choice of models certainly helps, though. I don't think there's a bone in my body that's even a fraction as cool as that guy.

You have it backwards. To be cool like that guy, you have to wear Drake's and Drake's only.

sargeinaz

Reaction score
Everything in the new collection is gorgeous. I agree about their use of color, it's beautiful really. I'll be in NYC to check it out in person. I'm only almost 5'8" though, I wonder if the jackets will fit me.

Side question: does anyone know of nice trousers in the 200-250 range?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Everything in the new collection is gorgeous. I agree about their use of color, it's beautiful really. I'll be in NYC to check it out in person. I'm only almost 5'8" though, I wonder if the jackets will fit me.

Side question: does anyone know of nice trousers in the 200-250 range?

I'm 5'7" and ~145lb, drake jacket in 36 fits me ish (like I can potentially go down) except the sleeve with the working button hole already cut..., you might just be the exact height.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads