1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Drake's London Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Sep 11, 2012.

Tags:
  1. DirkD

DirkD Member

Maybe it is fashionable for younger men to dress more classic and therefore drake's tries to stay in the game by employing younger sales people. But imo anything below 3,5''/8,5 cm is more a trend than classic, unless you have a slim body structure, which then you might need a slim tie. I feel that classic is 3,5'' to 3,8''

2. PSNY

PSNY Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I'm still teetering back and forth about the size. I may just get the tie MTO at 3.5". I prefer 3.5", but the 3.15" is not that bad. It does not look that much smaller in person. I'm 6"0 with an athletic build and despise slim fit clothes. I like wider lapels as well.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  3. DirkD

DirkD Member

@PSNY easiest way is to try both. what i've learned from buying accessories, is that you might not wear something now, but it will come handy, as long as its of classic style and good quality

4. Loathing

Loathing Well-Known Member

I don't deny that older people buy Drake's, especially the ties which offer a good selection of classic English foulards and madders. I'm saying that their marketing material is pitched at young men with a bit of money. It's very much a Pitti Uomo aesthetic.

Again, the US may be different. Older people in the UK are unlikely to have even heard of Drake's: it is a young brand that markets largely through social media. People of my dad's generation buy ties from places like Ede & Ravenscroft and Jermyn Street. Incidentally, even old-fashioned shops don't sell ties in the 9cm width that seems to be favoured on styfo. Perhaps it is an Italian thing? My Marinella ties are by far my widest. The only period in history that I know of when 9cm+ ties were the norm was the 1970s.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. SimonC

SimonC Well-Known Member

And therein lies the core of the matter. Drakes' primary business used to be white-label for brands including Ede & Ravenscroft and Holland & Holland - e.g. "older people" brands. After the acquisition they've re-positioned themselves to focus on direct sales, and as said to a younger audience.

1 person likes this.
  6. smoothie1

smoothie1 Well-Known Member

Drake's lightweight Mughal scarf. 100% wool. 65 cm x 200 cm. NWOT. Offered here before headed to B&S and eBay. $225

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  7. circumspice

circumspice Well-Known Member

If they continue to do well in the white label space, and the existing market is the existing market, then what on earth else would they do but try to get a new market?

8. Satmoche

Satmoche Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I cannot make it this year. Enjoy it for those who can though !

9. DirkD

DirkD Member

Wicked!

10. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Today

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

They're running 40% off at the Soho pop up shop worth checking out, think they're moving to a new location by Jan month end

12. smoothie1

smoothie1 Well-Known Member

Please PM me, if anyone is willing to proxy. Thanks.

13. Satmoche

Thanks for the info.
    How long is the sale going to last ?

14. clee1982

No idea but definitely pass new year just don't know how much pass new year and given they're moving location would imagine no restock for the time being

15. 02///M3

02///M3 Well-Known Member

thanks for the tip. any idea if that's just for drake's branded products?

16. clee1982

If you mean, is the Alden 40 off, have to say no idea sorry, haha.... think the sportscoat was running close to 700 vs whatever original, scarf looks like mostly 40 off

17. Satmoche

Thanks again !
    I missed thr Haberdasher sale so hopefully will be back on time to grab a few things. Did you get anything at all ?

18. clee1982

Nop wife was around, with new baby coming everything goes to the kid now haha

1 person likes this.
  19. akeen

akeen Member

:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  20. 02///M3

02///M3 Well-Known Member

Haha, I was actually wondering about Paraboot, but same idea. Will have to stop by this week. Thanks again.