• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

polyfusion

Reaction score
Anyway, I realize prices are soaring in fashion and we all have reason to grumble, but prices are also the most boring aspect of fashion. I wish sometimes this thread would move beyond just a discussion about how much something cost, as it's been a 9-year discussion on this singular topic alone.

I thought a bit more about this post. And would like to learn more What you meant Derek.
I’m curious - as on OG of this thread, of drakes and of the whole forum.. beyond the “value” proposition, what are we not talking about or noticing about Drakes, I wonder?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I thought a bit more about this post. And would like to learn more What you meant Derek.
I’m curious - as on OG of this thread, of drakes and of the whole forum.. beyond the “value” proposition, what are we not talking about or noticing about Drakes, I wonder?

Definitely not an OG of anything, and not trying to dictate the thread. Just bored of constantly talking about prices.

I don't know. The other threads I follow -- Lemaire, Jacques Marie Mage, and even bespoke tailoring related threads -- people talk about price, but it's not the only subject. People just get excited about clothes. Sometimes it feels like when there's any bubbling of excitement or joy in here, there's a few people who are happy to throw water on it. It's just kind of a buzz kill.

Anyway, random things I noticed:

Drake's apparently released a new scarf with ALD (here I'll go with price: the scarf is listed as $450 or so at Drake's site, but $250 or so at ALD. Not sure why). I dig the design though.

Aime_FW20_D1_R3_Flats_042_2000x.jpg

scf-02sil-20472-001-1.jpg

For some reason, it reminds me of vintage sports cars (which I suppose is kind of in ALD's style). I can imagine it being worn with the outfit on the left here:

4_8204478b-ed86-4c73-b8ce-730c84045778_2000x.jpg

I also dig the bal coats this season, but was wondering if I think it would look better as a wider coat. I've noticed bal coats come in very different widths, I suppose because we're in this transitional phase between slim fits and "traditional" fits.

Camoshita makes a very wide bal coat. I think the cut is ideal, personally. On a size 38 coat, the chest measures 47" around

-camoshita-wool-balmacaan-overcoat-camel-.jpg

Compare that to Uniqlo's bal coat this season, which is much slimmer (also only $99, although made from a poly-blend) The cut just doesn't have the same verve to me.

goods_429298_sub8.jpg

Love Bruce's cashmere Oxxford bal coat here (given to him as a gift by the head of Oxxford sometime in the 90s, if I remember correctly). Thing fits huge, but I think looks great.

Bruce4.jpg

Simon's bal coat collaboration with Private White VC is on the slim side of traditional. The size 38 is a 42" chest (kind of "standard" outerwear size, I think, given today's silhouettes).

Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 2.30.03 PM.png

I don't know what Drake's measures, but it seems to be between Private White VC and Camoshita in terms of width.

out-73woo-20856-002-1.jpg

out-73woo-20856-001-1.jpg

polyfusion

Reaction score
Definitely not an OG of anything, and not trying to dictate the thread. Just bored of constantly talking about prices.

I don't know. The other threads I follow -- Lemaire, Jacques Marie Mage, and even bespoke tailoring related threads -- people talk about price, but it's not the only subject. People just get excited about clothes. Sometimes it feels like when there's any bubbling of excitement or joy in here, there's a few people who are happy to throw water on it. It's just kind of a buzz kill.

Anyway, random things I noticed:

Drake's apparently released a new scarf with ALD (here I'll go with price: the scarf is listed as $450 or so at Drake's site, but $250 or so at ALD. Not sure why). I dig the design though.

View attachment 1477952
View attachment 1477953

For some reason, it reminds me of vintage sports cars (which I suppose is kind of in ALD's style). I can imagine it being worn with the outfit on the left here:

View attachment 1477951

I also dig the bal coats this season, but was wondering if I think it would look better as a wider coat. I've noticed bal coats come in very different widths, I suppose because we're in this transitional phase between slim fits and "traditional" fits.

Camoshita makes a very wide bal coat. I think the cut is ideal, personally. On a size 38 coat, the chest measures 47" around

View attachment 1477955

Compare that to Uniqlo's bal coat this season, which is much slimmer (also only $99, although made from a poly-blend) The cut just doesn't have the same verve to me.

View attachment 1477956

Love Bruce's cashmere Oxxford bal coat here (given to him as a gift by the head of Oxxford sometime in the 90s, if I remember correctly). Thing fits huge, but I think looks great.

View attachment 1477954

Simon's bal coat collaboration with Private White VC is on the slim side of traditional. The size 38 is a 42" chest (kind of "standard" outerwear size, I think, given today's silhouettes).

View attachment 1477958

I don't know what Drake's measures, but it seems to be between Private White VC and Camoshita in terms of width.

View attachment 1477960
View attachment 1477959
Didn’t mean to put you on the spot, but I appreciate your input when I read it and was curious as to what else was on your mind, aside from, as you correctly point out, the drudgery or talking about prices all the time.
I love the aesthetic of a less fitted coat silhouette; as you point out. for me Bruce and drakes have the nicer proportions of your highlights... though for me personally, with my boxier Eastern European shape, I tend to have to go a bit more fitted, myself. Though I would rather not, and am enjoying the move away in menswear from skinny to comfort .

nostalgiaultra

Reaction score

In terms of length, I think Bal's look best when they end below the knee. Drake's and other modern Bal's tend to stop at, or just above the knee which creates unflatteringly proportions IMO. I think they would benefit from a few more inches in length.

Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 2.59.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 3.21.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 3.14.56 PM.png

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bal coat is really cool. It only seems to go up to size 40 in the grey herringbone, which seems weird. Maybe they'll add additional sizes later on

nycs10011

Reaction score
Fwiw the description for the casentino wool coat says woven in the casentino region, but it doesn’t seem to have that fresh from the garbage disposal look to it like casentino cloth.

I've never been a huge fan of casentino but something about this texture/ color combo really appeals to me.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In terms of length, I think Bal's look best when they end below the knee. Drake's and other modern Bal's tend to stop at, or just above the knee which creates unflatteringly proportions IMO. I think they would benefit from a few more inches in length.

View attachment 1477987
View attachment 1477983
View attachment 1477988

Sebastian's coat (first pic) is one of my favorites. Was bummed to learn it's vintage. One of those things where I was hoping to buy one on the market, but then hear it's some crazy find in a dusty vintage shop in a very far away city.

I love the Camoshita version, but the collar behaves a little like a peacoat collar -- it either sits flat and folded, or it pops straight up. You can see it in the way Yasuto wears it

tumblr_6ed85ae4621ad62d7e2cbdf0a2df87b9_5153a971_540.jpg

tumblr_pleukhWSeA1sqvfx4o1_1280-684x1024.jpg

The Drake's version seemingly has a collar where you can pop it from the back, and the collar points will still somewhat flop over, which I think it's a little more manageable

9_5.jpg
1_7.jpg

Patched ticket pocket is also a little Kaptain Sunshine-y

ECD973E0-C306-4F56-8FD7-872401F21AC7.jpg

slows2k

Reaction score
Would the coat be better if belted?

I don't think so. The bulky silhouette is spot on, I think, for the style. Everything on it is chunky: the collar, the pockets, the pattern. I think it would seem a little off if it were slim or more shapely. I like how it hangs straight with a slight bell. "A" shaped, especially with the gusset in the back. It lends it a casualness that lets it likely look as good over a henley as it does a jacket.

9_5.jpg

35.jpg

Reminds me a lot of the KS traveler coat, which is one I really came around to, but a little more trad.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

kaizerpi

Reaction score
I still lust after a KS traveler coat. Staying on the coat subject, I'm planning on getting a nice, chunky cardigan for work from home to layer over a shirt or less textured sweater e.g. a rollneck. But I also imagine potentially layering a cardigan under outerwear. Is this how it should look tho? The raised shawl collard cardigan against the coat just seems...vulva-like?

1_7.jpg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still lust after a KS traveler coat. Staying on the coat subject, I'm planning on getting a nice, chunky cardigan for work from home to layer over a shirt or less textured sweater e.g. a rollneck. But I also imagine potentially layering a cardigan under outerwear. Is this how it should look tho? The raised shawl collard cardigan against the coat just seems...vulva-like?

1_7.jpg
Probably better with one of their thicker crew neck sweaters?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads