• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Isn't this just a description of the broader fashion market? Things are getting more expensive. Things go on sale. That's like ... all of fashion? Except maybe Kent Wang.

It's the rate at which they get more expensive and how deep they go on sale.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's the rate at which they get more expensive and how deep they go on sale.

Would you say that prices are rising globally at a rate of 0.3% per year?

Anyway, more seriously, this is literally all of fashion. This post was written in 2013 and things have only continued since, maybe gotten worse.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
maybe drakes should be different than "all of fashion"

I don't know what distinction you make between fashion and whatever else is not fashion (I guess "style not fashion," yada yada yada), but the same has happened in the classic menswear market. I don't remember what I paid for my Steed sport coats back in 2013, when I started using them. But last year, I stumbled upon some receipts and remember being shocked. I think prices have almost doubled in that 7-year span.

The same is true for very non-fashionable shops, such as J. Press (trad, small boutique, small footprint, etc). In 2010, J. Press Shaggy Dogs were $165. Today, they're $250. Prices across the board have almost doubled.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Would you say that prices are rising globally at a rate of 0.3% per year?

Anyway, more seriously, this is literally all of fashion. This post was written in 2013 and things have only continued since, maybe gotten worse.

I think these trends are more extreme in Drake's than the vast majority of other CM brands/stores.

Some examples. Armoury prices may be high, but they are pretty stable. I bought an Abraham Moon Wool Model 3 from them 3 years ago for 1200 (I use this as an example because I distinctly remember that price). This year they have a model 11 in a similar Abraham Moon Wool for 1250 (1000 with the discount). In 2013, you wrote an article for PTO that had O'Connell's Shetlands at 165. 7 years later they are 195. I bought a Frank Clegg briefcase a few years ago for 850. That model now sells for...850. Alden shoes 5 years ago were low 500s. Now they are high 500s and low 600s. I don't know if these examples are perfectly representative of CM in general, but this is the impression I get from brands in general.

^Also a 50% price increase over 10 years (what you mentioned above for Shaggy Dogs) is very different than a 50% or 100% increase in less than 5 years, which we see for some Drake's products, e.g. shirts.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think these trends are more extreme in Drake's than the vast majority of other CM brands/stores.

Some examples. Armoury prices may be high, but they are pretty stable. I bought an Abraham Moon Wool Model 3 from them 3 years ago for 1200 (I use this as an example because I distinctly remember that price). This year they have a model 11 in a similar Abraham Moon Wool for 1250 (1000 with the discount). In 2013, you wrote an article for PTO that had O'Connell's Shetlands at 165. 7 years later they are 195. I bought a Frank Clegg briefcase a few years ago for 850. That model now sells for...850. Alden shoes 5 years ago were low 500s. Now they are high 500s and low 600s. I don't know if these examples are perfectly representative of CM in general, but this is the impression I get from brands in general.

^Also a 50% price increase over 10 years (what you mentioned above for Shaggy Dogs) is very different than a 50% or 100% increase in less than 5 years, which we see for some Drake's products, e.g. shirts.

I just don't think of Drake's as being like O'Connell's. I mean, I love O'Connell's and Ben Silver and Cordings and all those other very trad, "anti-fashion" shops. But Drake's just isn't that kind of brand or even aesthetic.

Again, when I first wrote about them in 2011, I compared their ties to E. Marinella. The argument back then is that you could get a fully handmade, bespoke tie from Sam Hober for cheaper (which is true!) and that some Drake's ties were pressed too flat when compared to Hober (also true!). But Drake's just wasn't for that kind of customer. It is what it is, and it's also part of the reason why younger guys are attracted to the brand.

If you want to really be finicky about timespans, J. Press Shaggy Dogs were $165 in 2010 and then $230 in 2013 ($245 for the slightly slimmer York Street version). Not yet double in five years, but getting there.

pblzqlcn

Reaction score
I don't know what distinction you make between fashion and whatever else is not fashion (I guess "style not fashion," yada yada yada), but the same has happened in the classic menswear market. I don't remember what I paid for my Steed sport coats back in 2013, when I started using them. But last year, I stumbled upon some receipts and remember being shocked. I think prices have almost doubled in that 7-year span.

The same is true for very non-fashionable shops, such as J. Press (trad, small boutique, small footprint, etc). In 2010, J. Press Shaggy Dogs were $165. Today, they're $250. Prices across the board have almost doubled.

you missed the point
as usual

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
I just don't think of Drake's as being like O'Connell's. I mean, I love O'Connell's and Ben Silver and Cordings and all those other very trad, "anti-fashion" shops. But Drake's just isn't that kind of brand or even aesthetic.

Again, when I first wrote about them in 2011, I compared their ties to E. Marinella. The argument back then is that you could get a fully handmade, bespoke tie from Sam Hober for cheaper (which is true!) and that some Drake's ties were pressed too flat when compared to Hober (also true!). But Drake's just wasn't for that kind of customer. It is what it is, and it's also part of the reason why younger guys are attracted to the brand.

If you want to really be finicky about timespans, J. Press Shaggy Dogs were $165 in 2010 and then $230 in 2013 ($245 for the slightly slimmer York Street version). Not yet double in five years, but getting there.

I mentioned some other places too and could name more. I think part of my point, though, is that Drake's used to position itself more like these more traditional places and has since shifted and this shift in identity has alienated people.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyway, I realize prices are soaring in fashion and we all have reason to grumble, but prices are also the most boring aspect of fashion. I wish sometimes this thread would move beyond just a discussion about how much something cost, as it's been a 9-year discussion on this singular topic alone.

polyfusion

Reaction score
Anyway, I realize prices are soaring in fashion and we all have reason to grumble, but prices are also the most boring aspect of fashion. I wish sometimes this thread would move beyond just a discussion about how much something cost, as it's been a 9-year discussion on this singular topic alone.

100%

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the new cashmere rollnecks 1 or 2 ply? It's not stated in the site although they look 2 ply.

slows2k

Reaction score
While the price is awfully high that herringbone coat is REALLY calling to me; the silhouette is perfect. The yellow scarf is the exact right shade, too. This look slays me. Really simple but effective.

scf-36mek-20774-004.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads