1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Official Drake's London Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

Suit, shirt and square are by Drake's.

2. dalevy

dalevy Distinguished Member

A50EFC2F-77D6-4C60-90B9-3253CC9B0E0F.png

3. Blake Stitched Blues

Blake Stitched Blues Senior Member

Every day we stray further from god's light.

4. ClinkingThearly

ClinkingThearly Senior Member

Looks great. Is this the cord one of the wool/cotton mix? I wanted the khaki cord but it's sold out in 15 :(

5. bry2000

bry2000 Distinguished Member

Jeez, they are first catching up to casentino. Casentino peaked three years ago.

6. CDRiis

CDRiis Senior Member

I still haven't figured out with what I'm going to use it, but I picked up the Rumisu square scarf. Something about it that speaks to me.

squ-adcmk-17507-001.jpg

7. Loathing

Loathing Distinguished Member

The aesthetic seems to be getting increasingly Normcore each year.

Not sure I’ve ever seen a zip up fleece made of Casetino to be fair.

But the nuclear orange looks like crap to me, and the whole Normcore aesthetic just doesn’t make sense for a luxury aristinal brand. I know it’s fashioable and Balenciaga etc. are doing it, but that’s for dumb kleptocrat children.

8. gfmozart

gfmozart Distinguished Member

classic casentino is originally made in nuclear orange. A mistake in dyeing of sorts but now associated with the fabric itself

http://opificicasentinesi.it/en/casentino-fabric/

9. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

^That's interesting. I didn't know that.

Imo the casentino pullover is a great idea. It brings together a lot of things, both historical and trendy: Orange has been in the past year or so. There's a revival of the Patagonia "sherpa" fleece (every streetwear brand seems to have an interpretation). It taps into normcore, as Loathing said, into athleisure, and now into @menswear with the twist of casentino cloth instead of polyester fleece. It's subtle luxury. Perfect for people to wear with their $300 jeans... or dress pants. I'm guessing there will be a vest version for Silicon Valley and Wall Street. Even hunters may want it.

I don't think I'd buy one, but it's a bright idea imo.

10. othertravel

othertravel Distinguished Member

I like the DB sport coat in the back.

11. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I agree. As much as I enjoy the quality of many things made by Drakes, my impression is that more of their design aesthetic is skewing towards safe, generic, trad style. What is needed is a major shot in the arm of "male masculine". That would actually be pretty easy to do and could easily be incorporated into their existing line of typical Drakes products. (RL did this all the time when growing Polo)

This orange zip front pullover, isn't what I would consider to be anything more than a "business casual" experiment.

But, every company needs to experiment and test it's boundaries if it will continue to succeed. If it doesn't make a few mistakes along the way then it is playing it too safe and can't grow.

12. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Distinguished Member

How so? Just curious. Feel free to shoot me a PM or email if you don't want to post it publicly.

ETA: Even taking into account all of the good points made about the details of what goes into the costs side and business needs, Drake's ties still seem overpriced to me at full retail. I'd buy one of their pocket squares at full retail (and have) before a tie, since in many cases there really aren't substitutes.

ETA2: There are plenty of other tie makers who I also think are overpriced at full retail.

ETA3: I'm not mad at Drake's for doing it, but a lot of what they've produced as they've expanded their inventory has been blah to me.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

13. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Distinguished Member

See, now was that so hard?

I've only shopped them three seasons and it's been 50% each time. My take is that it's built in to the pricing and of course they want to quickly get rid of past season inventory for multiple reasons. I do think they stocked less inventory this season or people just reacted better to this season than they did AW17.

Trying one of the Shetlands myself. I hope it fits. I have some fantastic J Crew ones from a few years ago (fantastic after I took the ugly faux suede elbow patches off, but the mustard one just got a whole. Anyway, hoping the Drakes shetland fits about the same. I snagged a green one.

I went overboard like last season:

-Harris Tweed Grey Houndstooth Jacket
    -Harris Tweed Navy and Wine Houndstooth Jacket
    -Ochre and Green Tweed Jacket
    -Terracotta Blanket Coat (really wanted the tartan one as well)
    -Lambswool Sleeveless Cardigan in Yellow (hoping this fits, or not so I won't get an addiction)
    -Green Antique Village Scarf
    -Green Paisley Scarf
    -Pocket Squares
    -Socks

Better make that Q4 bonus... Got most of my pre-sale list. Missed out on the Donegal Harris Tweed Jacket, but that's fine as I'm hoping a solid navy variant comes back again in the future.

What was that?

Even with a woven shirt underneath? Shetland is coarse, but with a shirt underneath I've never had any issue.

I'm thinking of roping her in to my trip to Scottsdale in February. Haven't seen her since the Fox Confessor tour.

I though this was a mistake upon initial viewing. Can't understand this one at all.

14. smittycl

smittycl Distinguished Member

I have seen her every year since 2007. Big fan. New album is simply amazing.

15. Nat25

Nat25 Well-Known Member

I picked this jacket up from drakes in the sale. I thought I could live without it, and I was wrong. Thanks for ,entioning it here bc it put me over the edge.