• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe not the right place for it, but my A Suitable Wardrobe Will story, while i'm thinking of it...

Years ago I happened to be in a particular Italian city at the same time Will was in that city, so I sent him an email asking if I could buy him a drink and chat. He agreed to meet, but he gave off enough an impression of reluctance that I wrote back offering to cancel. He said it would be fine as long as we could meet at the hotel bar where he was staying. He wasn't feeling well. He was very tired. No problem.

I had very little money at this time, so I had to walk instead of taking a taxi. This hotel was way out there, and up at the top of a small mountain. I arrived very late. I had no phone to send Will a message, so he had been waiting alone at the bar for a long time. The bartender was kind of cleaning up around him. He let me know how annoyed he was, (fair), we talked for a bit, and then he said he was feeling too tired to go on. He had to go to sleep. I apologized for my lateness, thanked him profusely for meeting with me, and offered to get the drinks. The bartender brought me the check and it was like, €450 or something. I did not own €450. At this moment I maybe owned €35.

I sat there looking at my options while Will gathered himself to leave. I realized I had no choice-- I had to tell him, while he was on his way out of the room, that I did not own €450, and that I could not, in fact, get the drinks. I had to actually hand him the bill while he looked at me. The whole time he didn't say anything. And then he had to wait around for the bartender to return. I lingered, because it just seemed too rude to leave. We stood there in silence together for a minute, and then he said something like, "what are you still doing here". I'm sure he's forgotten about it, but I still get sweaty remembering this mortifying occasion.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe not the right place for it, but my A Suitable Wardrobe Will story, while i'm thinking of it...

Years ago I happened to be in a particular Italian city at the same time Will was in that city, so I sent him an email asking if I could buy him a drink and chat. He agreed to meet, but he gave off enough an impression of reluctance that I wrote back offering to cancel. He said it would be fine as long as we could meet at the hotel bar where he was staying. He wasn't feeling well. He was very tired. No problem.

I had very little money at this time, so I had to walk instead of taking a taxi. This hotel was way out there, and up at the top of a small mountain. I arrived very late. I had no phone to send Will a message, so he had been waiting alone at the bar for a long time. The bartender was kind of cleaning up around him. He let me know how annoyed he was, (fair), we talked for a bit, and then he said he was feeling too tired to go on. He had to go to sleep. I apologized for my lateness, thanked him profusely for meeting with me, and offered to get the drinks. The bartender brought me the check and it was like, €450 or something. I did not own €450. At this moment I maybe owned €35.

I sat there looking at my options while Will gathered himself to leave. I realized I had no choice-- I had to tell him, while he was on his way out of the room, that I did not own €450, and that I could not, in fact, get the drinks. I had to actually hand him the bill while he looked at me. The whole time he didn't say anything. And then he had to wait around for the bartender to return. I lingered, because it just seemed too rude to leave. We stood there in silence together for a minute, and then he said something like, "what are you still doing here". I'm sure he's forgotten about it, but I still get sweaty remembering this mortifying occasion.

Later that night, as Will pulled off his loafers, and contemplated that bar bill, he muttered "**** this, and **** #menswear"

And thus was born Will "Reefer Madness" Boehlke. No more drinking, no more Simonnot Godard shambray. Sold off A Suitable Wardrobe to a ******* Texan to retire to a life of weed.

Thanks @Bromley, thanks

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Good lord, that was amazing.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of Cabourn 4 way roll necks. Sadly never wear them; they're way too warm.

I wear my light weight merinos all the time in the autumn and winter, though. Several times a week. Mostly darker colours, but want to branch out to a red and burgundy one. Also might have to buy some from Berg&Berg or Rubato. Love how the neck part is thick and voluminous. It adds some masculinity. Rubato also has a nice cropped fit. Looks equally good under a sports jacket as on it's own.
Can personally speak to the awesomeness of the Rubato turtlenecks. Lambswool, which is a rougher than merino and geelong, but still wearable. Nice high neck with a great length for higher waisted trousers.
DCB58F9C-7239-47E3-A6A9-641C0EBA680A.jpeg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

tell us more about what kind of drinks you have in order to run up $500 bill.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd just casually asked for another bottle of whatever wine Will had been drinking when I arrived. I don't know anything about wine. It was a really boring way to run up that kind of tab. I do remember not particularly liking the wine, and ordering a glass of Fernet.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever happened to Will's posts on that website? I hear them referenced years later, but I've never been able to find them!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Whatever happened to Will's posts on that website? I hear them referenced years later, but I've never been able to find them!

He was planning to turn some of the content into a book, but I think that idea may have been scrapped when the business was sold to the Hanger Project. I think the original plan, after the sale, was to have The Hanger Project continue the blog with occasional contributions from Will. They'd slowly put up the archive with some new content every week. But I think that plan fell by the wayside. Eventually, it seems, the content just stayed locked behind a Blogspot account.

It was a really good blog. RJ Man did some great posts there too. All in all, a really good site for classic men's style with a strong focus on bespoke goods given Will's extensive experience.

My favorite blog post of all time is still a belt review Will once did for his site. If I remember correctly, someone asked him to review a belt. So they made Will a custom, handsewn belt and sent it to him. Will subsequently took a photo of the belt on a table and, in complete earnestness, said that he doesn't own any trousers with belt loops because all his pants are bespoke and made to fit. He said the belt looked nice though.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
He was planning to turn some of the content into a book, but I think that idea may have been scrapped when the business was sold to the Hanger Project. I think the original plan, after the sale, was to have The Hanger Project continue the blog with occasional contributions from Will. They'd slowly put up the archive with some new content every week. But I think that plan fell by the wayside. Eventually, it seems, the content just stayed locked behind a Blogspot account.

It was a really good blog. RJ Man did some great posts there too. All in all, a really good site for classic men's style with a strong focus on bespoke goods given Will's extensive experience.

My favorite blog post of all time is still a belt review Will once did for his site. If I remember correctly, someone asked him to review a belt. So they made Will a custom, handsewn belt and sent it to him. Will subsequently took a photo of the belt on a table and, in complete earnestness, said that he doesn't own any trousers with belt loops because all his pants are bespoke and made to fit. He said the belt looked nice though.

The first time I heard about deer boning shell shoes was from ASW's video. It was baffling to me and I showed my wife, who then mumbled the rest of the day about how her husband watched videos about deer bones shining horse ass shoes while other husbands watched football.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The first time I heard about deer boning shell shoes was from ASW's video. It was baffling to me and I showed my wife, who then mumbled the rest of the day about how her husband watched videos about deer bones shining horse ass shoes while other husbands watched football.

Another favorite ASW moment was when RJ wrote a book review for **** Yeah, Menswear and all the iGents in the comment section started clutching pearls because the f-word was on the internet.

I remember telling RJ at the time that he should write a follow-up post titled **** Yeah, Men Swear.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well that's a bloody shame.

Is there anywhere these posts are located or archived or anything?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics