• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get jaded with clothing and clothing forums sometimes but Die, Workwear and Put this on are the two blogs that I keep up with no matter what.

Also, Official DWW Drinking Game - take a shot every time Derek says 'soft shouldered sports coats'. You'll be on the way to the ER with alcohol poisoning after the second article :slayer:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, Official DWW Drinking Game - take a shot every time Derek says 'soft shouldered sports coats'. You'll be on the way to the ER with alcohol poisoning after the second article :slayer:

C2WbsJOVEAAzIYT.jpg

"soft shouldered sport coat," "authentic and timeless," "textured sweater," "oversized topcoat," "all about texture," "minimalist aesthetic," "throw it over a tee," "oxford button down," "rugged," "elegance," "Shetland," "flannel trousers," "split toes"

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I renewed an interest in menswear last year, after a twenty year hiatus. DWW's voice has been one of the six or eight most informative to me since, and that number includes Bruce Boyer (no pressure).

Similar situation and sentiment here. When I started to get interested in menswear and classic style in the early 90's (pre-internet) the best references I knew about and read was Esquire, GQ, and Alan Flusser. For the next fifteen-years+ I was subsumed in the casual "quicksand" of the SF Bay Area and workplace dress codes that got sucked down into oblivion. A couple years ago I revitalized my sartorial interests, discovered this forum, and fantastic bloggers like Derek. I'm continually impressed by the quality and approachability of his writing, incredible knowledge base, and thoughtful perspectives and commentary on the cultural and sociological phenomena behind why and how we dress. When I looked at my phone's browser a few minutes ago after reading this thread, I noticed I have two windows open to a couple of great DWW archive posts from quite a few years back. Such invaluable content, and such a pleasure to read. Thank you!

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear

As I've shared with you in private, I am drawn to your work because of your thoughtful (if sometimes obstinate and controversial) approach to writing. All at once retaining stylized elegance. I once referred to you as a "bonafide man of letters".

Keep up the good work and indeed, I think a recognition for your good work is past due.

Alan Bee

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm always impressed at the frequency and quality of Derek's writing and the sheer number of relevant photos in each article. Even the interviews he's done show that he's thought long and deep about the subject. Die Workwear! and Put This On are two of the first places I go to when I want to know more about a brand or a certain piece of clothing.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think you're all being too generous, but I appreciate the kind words. Thank you!

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I think I've been reading pto and dww since near inception and neither has ever failed to inform or inspire me on some level on a weekly basis.

I'm always a little starstruck when I see Derek post on the same forum as me and I don't think that feeling will be going away any time soon.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a “must read” list? The archives are dauntingly voluminous.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As one who probably did not get the original memo,
please explain "Die Work Wear' as the title of your
erudite and insightful blog.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As one who probably did not get the original memo,
please explain "Die Work Wear' as the title of your
erudite and insightful blog.

Here you go! From https://www.permanentstyle.com/2018/01/best-media-of-the-year-2017-die-workwear.html:

How do you feel about the name of your site?

It's absolutely awful. I never thought the site would be seen by more than a couple of friends, and the site's name was partly a friendly jab at a buddy's love for workwear. And, as I'm sure others have noticed, I like workwear a lot more than I used to.

You can only imagine how embarrassing it is to email designers asking for quotes. It's like, "Hi, I'm a huge fan of your workwear line and was wondering if I could get a quote from you for my site, Die, Workwear!?" I either have to make a conscious decision to leave off the exclamation point, misspelling my own blog's name, or include it and seem even more schizophrenic.

If you include a new category next year for Worst Blog Name, I think I'm more deserving of that award. Nobody really comes close to me in that regard.

On the upside, I can't tell you how much spam I've received over the years from actual workwear manufacturers based in Pakistan and China trying to offer me wholesale prices on work uniforms. Things such as actual coveralls, heavy duty gloves, and whatever you'd wear to operate a forklift. It's my punishment, I suppose. I think they think the 'Die' in my blog's name is German for 'The'.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1065223

"soft shouldered sport coat," "authentic and timeless," "textured sweater," "oversized topcoat," "all about texture," "minimalist aesthetic," "throw it over a tee," "oxford button down," "rugged," "elegance," "Shetland," "flannel trousers," "split toes"
What's an untextured sweater?

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this may be a good place to start:
http://dieworkwear.com/readingselections

A more recent post that was particularly notable:
http://dieworkwear.com/post/175555470874/the-suit-died-but-for-good-reasons

...and initiated quite a great discussion here on the CM forum:
https://www.styleforum.net/threads/responding-to-the-suit-died-for-good-reasons.627887/

I've realized a number of the links in the "reading selections" are broken. Maybe @dieworkwear would be willing to update them?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads