• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Derek railing against Shein (which I agree with him) and I just got an email from work saying our China locations are going to start supporting Shein in their air freight. Ugh...

I'd rather my company not help with this ****** ass clothing company that blatantly rips off other designers and where people are just throwing their cheap clothes away.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Derek railing against Shein (which I agree with him) and I just got an email from work saying our China locations are going to start supporting Shein in their air freight. Ugh...

I'd rather my company not help with this ****** ass clothing company that blatantly rips off other designers and where people are just throwing their cheap clothes away.
Take as much as their money as possible then...

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This seems like the right thread. So I understand the utility of olive trousers “in theory” but I wonder if people have some nice fall fits with olive trousers. Shades of brown (beige and darker) and muted reds seem good, perhaps even dark navy/midnight. But I'd like to see these. Muted, darker olive seems the way to go for fall in trousers.

Calling on @UrbanComposition and @Mr. Six and others.

Thethrill

Reaction score
I would look to how people wear fatigues and military gear as inspiration for pairing olive with other colors. Personally I like white/cream/off-white, gray, light blue chambray, black, and orange or some combination of all of those.
This seems like the right thread. So I understand the utility of olive trousers “in theory” but I wonder if people have some nice fall fits with olive trousers. Shades of brown (beige and darker) and muted reds seem good, perhaps even dark navy/midnight. But I'd like to see these. Muted, darker olive seems the way to go for fall in trousers.

emptym

Reaction score

I think they look good with a shirt or sweater, but I wouldn't wear one with a sport coat. Maybe just my lack of imagination. I pretty much only wear off-white, light gray, medium gray, and tan with a sport coat.

OK but which is worse:

guys talking about sprezzatura
or
guys who use the words "day counter"
?
I believe @dopey coined the term, "day counter," (a couple posts below this one). And while I don't use the term, I love dopey, so seeing it reminds me of him and makes me smile. I do share with him a preference for watches w/o the date.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Another chapter in the saga of how Derek became insta-famous on the Internet:

This was a good read. I really like Derek's core writing and wish he would stick to bigger picture things like that, instead of engaging in petty little skirmishes with people who don't actually care about what he is saying.

@dieworkwear you should really write a book--essays on menswear culture and aesthetics, informed by personal anecdote. I'm probably not the first or the hundredth person to think this.

I like how DWW made his insta-famous bones by shitposting and dunking on right wing Future School Shooters of America types and putting that Portnoy douche in his place, but now that he is making an honest effort at doing that clothes-as-a-window-into-the-human-condition thing that he does best, he has also drawn the ire of the woke left because everything he talks about is so problematic and sexist and racist and rooted in colonialism and white privilege and gender oppression, and now he's fighting a two front war against both ends of the political spectrum, neither of which cares for his potentially unpleasant truths.

He's like, Opposite George Santos.

Definitely more exiting than arguing with fussy nerds about (green) oxfords with chinos, I guess.

odub

Reaction score
I have to say...as someone who's known Derek since the '90s, way before his menswear days (he's had an...interesting life), it's been really incredible to see his presence in this world grow/evolve. And while all this recent social media craze is pretty wild, I admire how he's handled himself throughout it, including in the interviews people have posted.

And to the person who said "he should write a book", I couldn't agree more! I've been telling him this for years now and the timing seems ideal. As we all know, social media attention is like 15 seconds of fame but I do hope he can parlay it into other opportunities.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a flannel pair I wear in the fall. I’ll find a pic or two in the morning.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've got olive/green cav twill trousers for winter, but it turns out that I only have one photo, and you can't really tell that they're green. I find it extremely difficult to get green to show up properly in photos.

I've found that I particularly like cream shirts with them--plain oxford and tattersal. Tan flannel is also nice. As you mention, the right shade of red stripe also works well. It's not a fall combo buy I have a dark blue chambray shirt that I like to wear with a green summer sport coat, so i would think that the right navy shirt would work well with olive trousers as well.

Olive trousers in the right shade are also one of the perfect pairings for the dread grey sport coat. I think they also work with a variety of checks with a lighter base (tan, cream, grey) because they contrast without being too stark.

I thought DWW had an article about olive, but maybe it was just him posting about an olive suit he was having made. I did find this article about green.

And as much as I like his writing, i disagree with almost everything in that twitter thread about western wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads