• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

MaE

Reaction score
"Article of interest" has a (quite interesting, IMO) whole podcast season about ivy style. In the first intoductory episode, Derek (alongside others) is being interviewed by Avery Trufelman. I didn't have enough time to listen to all of the episodes yet, but episode 2 is very interesting with the insights of W. David Marx (Ametora, Status and Culture) and some historical infos about Brooks Brothers.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Article of interest" has a (quite interesting, IMO) whole podcast season about ivy style. In the first intoductory episode, Derek (alongside others) is being interviewed by Avery Trufelman. I didn't have enough time to listen to all of the episodes yet, but episode 2 is very interesting with the insights of W. David Marx (Ametora, Status and Culture) and some historical infos about Brooks Brothers.

I believe it’s still ongoing, as I’ve finished all the available episodes. Very very good, if you’re interesting in deep diving, and a lot of great guests.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear can you elaborate on the collar insert you had installed on your KS traveller? I picked up this season's coat and the melton is not quite as stiff as seasons past, and I'm thinking the collar could use some support. I want to be specific in my instructions to my tailor.
Hey there,

I think I posted the story here a while ago, but it’s been a while and I forget, so…

Years ago I bought a lightweight KS traveler from Zenmarket (I think it was a Beams + collab) and the collar wasn’t as “poppable” as the melton version, so I started a deep internet research into how people can stiffen a collar. Finally found a costume makers forum where they routinely talk about putting various types of interfacing to give cape collars that dramatic upward swoop. I asked my local tailors if they could do something similar by a sort of surgical insert and was pleased with results. So far I’ve done that on three coats. I saw Derek in the lightweight traveller, he dug it, and he got the same one from Zenmarket and did the same thing. It shouldn’t cost much and makes a huge difference.

45bur

Reaction score
Hey there,

I think I posted the story here a while ago, but it’s been a while and I forget, so…

Years ago I bought a lightweight KS traveler from Zenmarket (I think it was a Beams + collab) and the collar wasn’t as “poppable” as the melton version, so I started a deep internet research into how people can stiffen a collar. Finally found a costume makers forum where they routinely talk about putting various types of interfacing to give cape collars that dramatic upward swoop. I asked my local tailors if they could do something similar by a sort of surgical insert and was pleased with results. So far I’ve done that on three coats. I saw Derek in the lightweight traveller, he dug it, and he got the same one from Zenmarket and did the same thing. It shouldn’t cost much and makes a huge difference.
Fantastic, thanks so much. I'll see what my tailor can do! It sounds like it should be relatively straightforward

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

Can you please post some pictures? Some close ups of the surgery.

-

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There aren't a whole lot of places left on the forum that I think have good taste other than this thread so I'm going to pose the question to the regulars here:

I'm getting married this winter. Daytime civil ceremony; very casual. Wearing either a mid-gray flannel suit or a navy worsted. Probably a burgundy or plum-colored tie.

I'm inclined to wear dark brown oxfords with either combination (and particularly the flannel) but wondering if it is in bad taste to not wear black oxfords to one's own wedding, regardless of formality or time of day. Any insight from this crowd?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not bad taste per se, but I'd encourage you to wear black shoes. It's a choice you are sure you will never regret for that occasion.

and congrats !

Blastwice

Reaction score
There aren't a whole lot of places left on the forum that I think have good taste other than this thread so I'm going to pose the question to the regulars here:

I'm getting married this winter. Daytime civil ceremony; very casual. Wearing either a mid-gray flannel suit or a navy worsted. Probably a burgundy or plum-colored tie.

I'm inclined to wear dark brown oxfords with either combination (and particularly the flannel) but wondering if it is in bad taste to not wear black oxfords to one's own wedding, regardless of formality or time of day. Any insight from this crowd?

Wear the shoes you want that look good with the outfit you want to wear.

20 years from now the last thing you want to be thinking when you look at your wedding photos is: "Thank God I wore the correct shoes."

There was the riding boot thread where the guy had riding boots made for his wedding and photographs. Much more interesting than a black oxford, IMO.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, with those clothing combinations I'd also opt for black shoes (oxfords).

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 12.41.38 PM.png

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, all. This is great insight. It's why I still come here after all these years. I wasn't sure about black oxfords with mid-grey flannel... felt a bit severe to me compared to a softer brown. But I'm now leaning towards that.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wear the shoes you want that look good with the outfit you want to wear.

20 years from now the last thing you want to be thinking when you look at your wedding photos is: "Thank God I wore the correct shoes."

There was the riding boot thread where the guy had riding boots made for his wedding and photographs. Much more interesting than a black oxford, IMO.

Nah, go with the safe bet (i.e. black oxfords). 20 years from now the last thing you want to be thinking, when looking at wedding photos, is: "My god, why the hell did I think my wedding day was the day to experiment with my clothing."

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads