• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IIRC he posted that he was going to take a break.

I have a feeling that this is along the lines of a relationship “break” which rarely plays out well in the long run.

As mentioned above he’s noted how SF is different then it used to be, and to be honest I don’t see the SF community making a significant change anytime soon.

There’s also the factor that that Derek is one of the most prominent posters here and one of the leading menswear writers in the wider world. Whenever he posts an opinion or position people often come for the jugular to try and establish their own bona fides and make a name for themselves. No one really gives a **** when you or I say something dumb or even post a position contrary to one we used to hold. I’m sure that sucks a lot do fun out of SF if everything you say is under a microscope and a beacon for debate.

I hope he comes back, I owe basically all of my menswear knowledge to SF and a lot to Derek in particular. If Derek doesn’t come back I hope to see him in a more interactive medium than his blog or something more in-depth than Twitter.

I guess in my ideal scenario @dieworkwear , Voxsartoria, and @Despos start a discord channel or substack covering the modern, traditional, and technical perspectives on menswear. I’d sign up for that…

Last edited:

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to be a total cynic (I like DWWs stuff and have learned a lot from him) but isn't Derek releasing a book soonish? Couldn't this wind down be part of a publicity thing?

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, seriously?
First, as was stated he just said he was taking a break in some thread about drape. He didn’t make a huge announcement.
Second, I don’t think SF affects book sales in any significant way.
Third, if it helps sell some books In a world that doesn’t read more power to him.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha, seriously?
First, as was stated he just said he was taking a break in some thread about drape. He didn’t make a huge announcement.
Second, I don’t think SF affects book sales in any significant way.
Third, if it helps sell some books In a world that doesn’t read more power to him.
I don't think that it's anything as planned out as that.

As for affecting book sales - yes and no. Styleforum doesn't affect book sales in general, but it has certainly affected the sales of specific books. Just as an example, we had Bruce Boyer at one of our trunk shows at the guest of honor, and I became, as has happened sometimes in my life, a temporary vendor of something I never thought I'd be selling. Bruce was signing books all morning and into the afternoon. We blew out of our initial order of 50 of his new book, and then emergency ordered 50 more, and fully sold out. That was not counting those who brought their own copy (we were doing most presales, and had to turn some away, so I assume that people went out and ordered their own elsewhere) I figure that 100 book sales of a single book in a single day in a single place is a pretty decent day for most books on men's style, even for Bruce Boyer.

Also, Derek has been here for a long time. He's seen a lot of change in both fashion and online communications. What is discussed on Styleforum is a reflection of what is being discussed, and how those topics are being discussed, more broadly, but mediated through the strengths and limitations of our forum platforms. I honestly cannot see the same in depth conversations being had on other mediums, but maybe something new will come along. Certainly the platforms that are ascendent now are much less conducive to long form discussions.

I sincerely hope that he comes back.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope it’s clear that I was saying that I don’t think he has any plan other than to take a break. Glad he hasn’t canceled his membership.
Good to hear that SF can have positive influence on book sales.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope it’s clear that I was saying that I don’t think he has any plan other than to take a break. Glad he hasn’t canceled his membership.
Good to hear that SF can have positive influence on book sales.
Yeah, maybe he just needs a break. It happens. As in, I see it happen regularly, especially for long term members. It has happened to me as well. As in, there are periods in which I rarely post about clothing at all, and might be involved in other discussions on the forum, but I invariably come back. Of course, this is not always the case, but.I hope that it is in this case. Derek and I disagree on any number of topics, but always in an interesting, cordial , way.

It was cool meeting Bruce Boyer is a real gentleman with a fairly broad, descriptive, view of style

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have learned a ton from DWW and I do hope he decides to come back. That being said, he clearly yearns for a forum where people debate the differences between swelled chests and drape, or the merits of one bespoke tailor versus another. Those days are not coming back IMO.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have learned a ton from DWW and I do hope he decides to come back. That being said, he clearly yearns for a forum where people debate the differences between swelled chests and drape, or the merits of one bespoke tailor versus another. Those days are not coming back IMO.

When one of the stars of the forum was on the leading edge of the American fascist movement.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When one of the stars of the forum was on the leading edge of the American fascist movement.

To be fair, though, I don't think that Manton's participation means that CM is inherently fascist or whatever. DWW's latest post mentions the craft of bespoke tailoring as literally dying a slow death as the rate of young new tailors being trained is not keeping up with the retirement and death of old tailors. The decreasing number of tailors and the increasing price of bespoke tailoring puts it increasingly out of reach, and those consumers who can actually afford bespoke are much less likely to need or care about tailoring.

I really like CM, and I like most of the silhouettes that DWW posts. But paying thousands of dollars and having to fly 3-4x to NY/SF/Europe to have a bespoke suit made is just not going to happen for me.

As always, the writing and photos in DWW's latest post are excellent. I can't help but feel, though, that it describes a world that has little relevance to most people today. It is like reading a story about a trip to an exotic locale that few people will ever visit in their lives.

Last edited:

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be fair, though, I don't think that Manton's participation means that CM is inherently fascist or whatever. DWW's latest post mentions the craft of bespoke tailoring as literally dying a slow death as the rate of young new tailors being trained is not keeping up with the retirement and death of old tailors. The decreasing number of tailors and the increasing price of bespoke tailoring puts it increasingly out of reach, and those consumers who can actually afford bespoke are much less likely to need or care about tailoring.

I really like CM, and I like most of the silhouettes that DWW posts. But paying thousands of dollars and having to fly 3-4x to NY/SF/Europe to have a bespoke suit made is just not going to happen for me.

As always, the writing and photos in DWW's latest post are excellent. I can't help but feel, though, that it describes a world that has little relevance to most people today. It is like reading a story about a trip to an exotic locale that few people will ever visit in their lives.

That's not what I was implying at all. I was just saying, the good old days weren't all good and SF wasn't necessarily a better place when CM was thriving here and in workplaces.

fabricateurialist

Reaction score

you're identifying the core issue, while there are tons of folks out there who drop 70k and much more a year on suits and have tailors follow them, most of them are busy doing something else in their spare time instead of typing away about it on a forum

meaning there is a much smaller number of people setting time aside to talk about this online than there are customers who can value add to these conversations - IRL however it's a different story

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Val Kilmer seems to be all in on the westernwear look

val-kilmer-2-2000.jpg
val-mercedes-kilmer-2000.jpg
img2432-1587408511.png

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m guessing he wants to celebrate his Native American ancestry. I think he’s part Cherokee

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads