• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/17/dining/restaurant-dress-code.html?referringSource=articleShare

Interesting read on resurgence of dining dress codes, felt like this was prime for a DWW quote.
The usual man-the-barricades comments ranting against “exclusionary” and “elitist” tailored clothing. One from an ignorama in SF who said she prefers dining around folks in non-elitist denim and sneakers—apparently unaware that the man-bun hipsters in her arriviste playground are paying more for their selvedge jeans and Common Projects sneakers than most people pay for an OTR sport coat.

Last edited:

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you kidding?!
“Hail Santa” is one of the best xmas songs ever.

couldnt find a better source, but:

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. I’m clearly not among the cognoscenti.

Coffandcig

Reaction score
Wait. When I tell people that primus sucks, I'm actually telling them I like the band?

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait. When I tell people that primus sucks, I'm actually telling them I like the band?

see:

snow

Reaction score
Probably as good a thread as any to post this in, looking for some advice on a summer shoe. Normally wear sneakers in the summer, generally pretty SWD in terms of dressing, but would like a more dressy shoe, particularly for the scenario of being on holiday (normally would pack white canvas sneakers+nike something for walking/hiking) and going out for dinner wearing casual-ish trousers and a polo/untucked shirt.

Options:
espadrilles (pros: cheap, comfortable, can wear with shorts, packable; cons: not that formal, not great for walking, looks weird away from the sea IMO)
penny loafers (pros: decent for walking, versatile; cons: doesn't go that well with SWD things/shorts, unwieldy to pack, everything except Alden LHS looks either too preppy or too dressy to me)
fake espadrilles with a rubber sole (pros: comfortable, go with shorts, decent for walking; cons: relatively expensive, still not that formal)
slip-on sneakers ala Diemme (pros: good for walking, versatile, comfortable; cons: expensive, hard to pack, would like to go more formal)

Other things not listen (other kinds of loafers mainly) not really my style I think. Anyone found a good solution to this that isn't Alden LHS?

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thethrill

Reaction score
penny loafers (pros: decent for walking, versatile; cons: doesn't go that well with SWD things/shorts, unwieldy to pack, everything except Alden LHS looks either too preppy or too dressy to me)

Other things not listen (other kinds of loafers mainly) not really my style I think. Anyone found a good solution to this that isn't Alden LHS?

Why don't you look at chunkier loafers, like beefroll loafers? I'd also recommend something in a lighter brown suede, as I think those look better with shorts/warm weather (see pic). I have a pair of G.H. Bass Loafers that I bought for cheap and take them on vacation. Comfortable for walking, look good with shorts or pants, and don't have to worry about babying them.

here are some options in suede that are currently available:
Quoddy
Jcrew

Some really nice options, but don't appear to be available in suede at the moment, but the lighter brown options would probably still work:
OSB
Rancourt

Screenshot_20220518-140537_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably as good a thread as any to post this in, looking for some advice on a summer shoe. Normally wear sneakers in the summer, generally pretty SWD in terms of dressing, but would like a more dressy shoe, particularly for the scenario of being on holiday (normally would pack white canvas sneakers+nike something for walking/hiking) and going out for dinner wearing casual-ish trousers and a polo/untucked shirt.

Options:
espadrilles (pros: cheap, comfortable, can wear with shorts, packable; cons: not that formal, not great for walking, looks weird away from the sea IMO)
fake espadrilles with a rubber sole (pros: comfortable, go with shorts, decent for walking; cons: relatively expensive, still not that formal)
slip-on sneakers ala Diemme (pros: good for walking, versatile, comfortable; cons: expensive, hard to pack, would like to go more formal)

Is the issue with Alden LHS that they're too expensive? If so, you could try the Shoe Mart seconds list.

I think a pair of suede unlined LHS are your best bet.

karmaguy

Reaction score
i have the aurlands and i wear em with jeans, chinos, shorts whatever. would req.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads