• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

garigo

Reaction score
Earth Studies (formerly known as It Vanishes) makes some super nice hiking pants. Gramicci makes nice hiking pants that are way cheaper. 18 East also makes great hiking pants and shorts.
I know a lot of hikers and outdoor product designers, and we pretty much all converge on the Prana Zion stretch pants. There are nicer (and more expensive) options. But, these were a game changer for me in terms of comfort and breathability while hiking.
Thanks guys! I had been taking a look at some pants from 18 East. Are there any models that you like in particular?

garigo

Reaction score
I dig some parts of the aestethic. Hiking boots like the Paraboot Avioraz look good with a lot of styles and outfits. I also have a pair of ALD hiking shorts from some years ago and they are among my favorite shorts. The Japanese hiker article has some incredible inspiration. Sadly, where I'm from most people in hiking gear look more like this :rolleyes:
Yes to me the Avoriaz are the best looking hiking boots out there. And I've seen those hikers before, the challenge is to avoid that look without compromising on functionality.

Silentb0b

Reaction score
Yes to me the Avoriaz are the best looking hiking boots out there. And I've seen those hikers before, the challenge is to avoid that look without compromising on functionality.
I also came by the Solovair hiker via their Noah NY collab. I can't say anything about quality, etc. but they look decent enough and the price is a lot better than the Avioraz. And Noah normally only works with brands with a similar state of mind regarding sustainability, etc.
Also, Morjas has a hiker that looked quite nice.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would argue that in this day and age, very few serious on-trail hikers/backpackers actually wear boots. It's all about trail runners. Boots seem to be worn more for fashion than function unless you're mountaineering or bushwhacking a great deal.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know Derek is a big fan of the Margiela 5 zip leather jacket but for those in the thread, what leather jackets do y’all have?

Schott (3), Belstaff (2), RRL (6) and PRL (1). Of all, I'd say I slightly prefer the Schott for day to day

LatAm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would argue that in this day and age, very few serious on-trail hikers/backpackers actually wear boots. It's all about trail runners. Boots seem to be worn more for fashion than function unless you're mountaineering or bushwhacking a great deal.

+1

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score

I mean...maybe if you are a very serious hiker. But for the casual hiker, boots are very helpful for support and for preventing injuries. That being said, I haven't tried Paraboots, but I can't imagine they are as comfortable or supportive as other options.

garigo

Reaction score
FWIW, I enjoyed reading this (I think fair) review of someone that actually used them as hiking boots for a while.

chiggyv

Reaction score
I really enjoy my Danner Mountain Lights and have done thousands of kilometers of hiking in them.

Funny enough I got enamored by the Paraboots when I first found them and ordered the laces to copy the look. The laces were worn to **** within a couple months so if you do go with the Avoriaz switch out the lace for hiking. Nothing worse than being stuck on the trail with a broken shoelace.

User123456789

Reaction score

I don't agree with this, or at least I don't agree that it's a good idea for anything longer than a mild day hike. I do a lot of backpacking. Rolling an ankle in the backcountry 15+mi from the nearest set of wheels while lugging food, water, and shelter for a week around on your back is pretty frightening. The extra support of boots is very valuable.

Never tried Paraboots, but +1 for Danner mountain light - just be ready to suffer for the first 20 or so miles (rough break in).

No good hiking pant recommendations. Never owned a pair.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Schott (3), Belstaff (2), RRL (6) and PRL (1). Of all, I'd say I slightly prefer the Schott for day to day

Margiela, SLP, Valstar, James Grose, ToJ.

I had 2 5 zips at one point.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with this, or at least I don't agree that it's a good idea for anything longer than a mild day hike. I do a lot of backpacking. Rolling an ankle in the backcountry 15+mi from the nearest set of wheels while lugging food, water, and shelter for a week around on your back is pretty frightening. The extra support of boots is very valuable.

Never tried Paraboots, but +1 for Danner mountain light - just be ready to suffer for the first 20 or so miles (rough break in).

No good hiking pant recommendations. Never owned a pair.

Everyone should fine their own best footwear, but I think fears of rolling ankles in trail runners are overblown personally. I think the lighter weight shoe gives you a much bigger advantage in preventing injury than some big clunky boot. There has to be a reason that most AT and PCT hikers are wearing trail runners. I’ve done plenty of week long backpacking trips in trail runners and never come close to having a problem.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A large proportion of ultralight thruhikers are obsessed with every ounce to the point that they wind up being unprepared for a lot of situations they encounter. A friend of mine couldn’t finish the PCT this year due to a foot injury (wearing trail runners).

I wear boots for longer day hikes and backpacking. Salewa is my brand of choice. Their lacing system creates such a wonderful fit.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in the PNW and spend a lot of time outdoors. Trail running shoes are great, but I still love to hike in boots. For the last couple of years, I've worn a pair of Merrell Chameleon boots, and they're crazy comfortable. I've probably put about 200+ miles on them and they're holding up very well.

polyfusion

Reaction score
Hit some of the stores you guys mentioned today in LA - many more to try but so far mister freedom was absolutely insane - easily one of the greatest clothing stores I’ve ever been to. Obviously the own brand + vintage curated selection exists in other places, but it just seemed endless there and whole vibe was so chill i felt I could explore for hours.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads