• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW I’ve bought my Floyds from Yoox both for <$170-190 and I’ve seen them go for $150ish before - I just didn't want to risk them selling out in my size in the color I wanted. I’m an 8D and I went with a size 40 on all my Buttero.

I'm not sure which color I have, but here's a quick snap of the two:

View attachment 1716845
Really like the taupe-y color on the front pair. That would actually be a perfect fit for my wardrobe, so perhaps I'll have to extend my search, or else simply pick that up later on and in addition to the dark brown. Are the black ones scotch grain?

Great product shot for a quick snap, btw. Your color story there is fantastic! Does a better job than the Buttero website of selling those boots. Thanks!

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This may a be a weird question but I figured this may be the best place to ask, how do you all who live in the depths of suburbia wear longer coats like balmacaans? Even though I'm working downtown, my daily commute is from my garage to another garage. I never really step outside. It just seems like my bal although awesome, is a bit much to drive the 25 minutes into the city and then immediately take it off when I get into the office.

I thought to wear it to the park with the kids, but then I'm sticking out like a sore thumb in the middle of a sea of dads in Patagonia down sweaters... I guess I need to learn to care a little less.
This particular Reddit post reply about dressing up without having anywhere to go has really stuck with me since I read it 3 years ago. I think about it from time to time myself:

"My yoga teacher once told me that when he was younger his mom was very very conscious of the things she wore and how everything had their time and place. Even the china set. She would never bring them out unless it was for a very special dinner. However, when he was about 14 his mom got cancer and was very close to passing away. She recovered but he distinctly remember the day that she had embraced the idea of *******. She put on her most beautiful dress and busted out the china and they ate meatloaf on a regular tuesday. At that point he realized that she started to live. Like really live. So he always wears designer whatever the **** he wants whenever the **** he wants. Since he told me that story I've sort of adopted that. I used to try to dress like how everyone else would be. Like at my neices bday. Shorts and a nice top. This year I plan on wearing a beautiful dress because *******. I wanna do it. I will be the best looking mother ****** at that damn pool party anyone has ever seen!"

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really like the taupe-y color on the front pair. That would actually be a perfect fit for my wardrobe, so perhaps I'll have to extend my search, or else simply pick that up later on and in addition to the dark brown. Are the black ones scotch grain?

Great product shot for a quick snap, btw. Your color story there is fantastic! Does a better job than the Buttero website of selling those boots. Thanks!
Thanks. The black one are just smooth calf I believe, they're just a couple years old and kicked around a bit.

jaaz16

Reaction score
This particular Reddit post reply about dressing up without having anywhere to go has really stuck with me since I read it 3 years ago. I think about it from time to time myself:

"My yoga teacher once told me that when he was younger his mom was very very conscious of the things she wore and how everything had their time and place. Even the china set. She would never bring them out unless it was for a very special dinner. However, when he was about 14 his mom got cancer and was very close to passing away. She recovered but he distinctly remember the day that she had embraced the idea of *******. She put on her most beautiful dress and busted out the china and they ate meatloaf on a regular tuesday. At that point he realized that she started to live. Like really live. So he always wears designer whatever the **** he wants whenever the **** he wants. Since he told me that story I've sort of adopted that. I used to try to dress like how everyone else would be. Like at my neices bday. Shorts and a nice top. This year I plan on wearing a beautiful dress because *******. I wanna do it. I will be the best looking mother ****** at that damn pool party anyone has ever seen!"

Reminds me of this line (one of my favorites):

1638985469603.png

It's less "wear what you want" and more a reminder to "wear the good stuff you like all the time." I've found it liberating.

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
I’ve really been lusting after a pair of black cuban heeled boots. From the First seem to be the best option for value, although Husbands shape is much better I’m not sure I can justify the price if they aren’t going to be a semi regularly wearable thing.
But my question is, do I go calf or patent? Patent is much more of a statement but damn its cool.
(again Husbands crackled patent is annoyingly the best of both worlds…)

FtF for reference:https://fromthefirst.com/collection...t-smoke-patent-leather?variant=15523157409827

Not to pressure you into buying anything, but if your size is stil available I suggest getting them now because I think they won't be making the patent ones anymore. I don't have experience with those specifically but their suede and leather boots are great. They also still produce the suede and leather variants so don't worry about them selling out if you go that route.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of this line (one of my favorites):

View attachment 1716859

It's less "wear what you want" and more a reminder to "wear the good stuff you like all the time." I've found it liberating.

I go for neighborhood walks with my wife and I wear my overcoat and a sport coat/trousers combination for the same reason. I have this clothing and I like wearing it so why the hell not?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW I’ve bought my Floyds from Yoox both for <$170-190 and I’ve seen them go for $150ish before - I just didn't want to risk them selling out in my size in the color I wanted. I’m an 8D and I went with a size 40 on all my Buttero.

I'm not sure which color I have, but here's a quick snap of the two:

View attachment 1716845
From what I read, these are blake welted with bare leather soles?

They seem appealing, but if the above is true, then potential wet insoles are a dealbreaker for me.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I read, these are blake welted with bare leather soles?

They seem appealing, but if the above is true, then potential wet insoles are a dealbreaker for me.
Yep, blake stitched I believe. I don't think they're really meant as a workwear/weatherproof solution, but I usually prefer rubber soles on my boots as well w/ a GYW. I think you just sacrifice a bit of the streamlining to do it.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks great. Your cat looks how I feel about them not making an orange version this year.
Trade you for your Ventile canoeist (...not really. I want both).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads