• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or, and actual Steiff coat.
View attachment 1715090

Can't argue there. I passed on one of those A King of Guise jacket recently, having second thoughts now...

edit: Wait...it's cotton? Isn't the real Steiff fabric wool?

From what Evan told me, there are a few thicknesses of casentino, from light to heavy.

Yeah that makes sense, I figured overcoats are on the thicker side but maybe not...
My sample size is pretty limited too, I did try on that Rubinacci for The Rake coat though and it didn't feel very substantial either

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
edit: Wait...it's cotton? Isn't the real Steiff fabric wool?

I have this one from Richard James

“The Alpaca is supplied by Steiff, the acclaimed teddy bear makers of Giengen, Germany.”

72A62441-3449-4CD4-ABE6-2986C641484D.jpeg

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like this is as good a place as any to ask :

I don't really have much need for tailored clothing in my current life, but I have been thinking about getting a sport coat for those special evening occasions where it wouldn't be necessary but would be fun - like a NYE part at a friend's place, going out for cocktails on my birthday, anniversary dinner, etc.
Something that doesn't look like officewear.

Anyone have suggestions on cloth, color, pattern, etc?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't really have much need for tailored clothing in my current life, but I have been thinking about getting a sport coat for those special evening occasions where it wouldn't be necessary but would be fun - like a NYE part at a friend's place, going out for cocktails on my birthday, anniversary dinner, etc.

Would you be against the idea of a "fun suit?" Meaning, a suit that's not made from your regular dark or grey worsteds?

I like sport coats, but for the situations you named, I feel like a fun suit might be better.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you be against the idea of a "fun suit?" Meaning, a suit that's not made from your regular dark or grey worsteds?

I like sport coats, but for the situations you named, I feel like a fun suit might be better.
Not opposed at all. That's a good point, I know you've written about such a few times this past year

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How about something like this?

SpierAndMackayFW21_222518-5-MTO_43887-Edit.jpg

Also +1 to a fun suit. Here is an olive linen one below
dsc07110-1-jpg.1622459

I'm also a big fan of slub fabrics
20171119_221429073_iOS-1.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not opposed at all. That's a good point, I know you've written about such a few times this past year

Some ideas, including things you may have seen me mention elsewhere:

Many of the events you mentioned sound like evening activities, and I sort of think that afternoon and evening outfits should be distinct (somewhat). So with that in mind.

Dr-No-Light-Grey-Mohair-Wool-Suit-3.jpg
formal-night2.jpg

A Mohair Suit

Mohair has a slight sheen that I think looks really nice at night. Some guys wear it during the daytime, but I think the sheen is less appealing when the sun's out. In the evening, however, it reflects light in this really nice way.

Most mohair fabrics are a mohair-wool blend because mohair is too brittle on its own. So the more mohair content, the more sheen. I like 40% mohair to 60% wool -- anything above 50% and you're getting into Rat Pack territory. Does well in evening colors such as grey, navy, and even olive. I often wear a mohair suit to get dinner: grey-olive mohair suit with a charcoal turtleneck or long-sleeved polo, black tassel loafers, and typically no pocket square. If you want to dress it up, you can do a white shirt with a black knit tie.

d94f40505f483b7ebe7c3a595cbc7ddf.jpeg
16585506_1302011826523805_5654756746527244288_n.jpeg

A Dark Flannel Suit

The versatile option. If you only have one suit, I wouldn't make it mohair. To me, that's a fun evening suit. For something more versatile, I would probably do a grey or navy flannel suit. In the evening, you can wear it with a turtleneck to avoid looking too business-y. But during the daytime and for "serious" occasions such as business presentations, weddings, or job interviews, you can also wear it with a white shirt and dark tie.

12070595_440318836151911_1979565267_n.jpg
TD26-SlateGreyPrinceofWalesCheck-FoxBrothers-FoxTweed_3_1800x1800.jpeg

A Grey Tweed with Charcoal Trousers

I recently met up with a friend who wore a grey tweed sport coat with black jeans, a white shirt, and Jacques Marie Mage glasses. I thought he looked really good and later ordered a length of the same fabric. The tweed is from Fox Brothers, and while it's annoyingly expensive, it has a really nice dark tone and low contrast that I think makes for a sophisticated-looking sport coat.

You can wear this with black jeans, as my friend did. Or wear it with charcoal trousers and black tassel loafers. Can be paired with a striped shirt and tie, as you see above. Or a turtleneck.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have this one from Richard James

“The Alpaca is supplied by Steiff, the acclaimed teddy bear makers of Giengen, Germany.”

View attachment 1715098

How does the sizing work, and the buttoning point? It looks like a 2x2, but I don't love how it looks buttoned like that, but it seems the roll might naturally be to a lower position? I am a 42R

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear
Derek, you once wrote about how to think about different layers ( e.g. trucker over a shirt over a tee) and how they create horizontal boundaries, any chance you still have that handy?

Are you thinking of this?

Pete also wrote this a while ago

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads