• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you all feel about casentino coats?

I am still struggling to figure out how I feel about them. One week I'm for them, the next week they seem gimmicky.

Scratchy horse blanket, or cool tuscan tweed?

Would you all use one as a "versatile" coat, or a flashy piece? If so, what colour?

I've waffled between camel, dark brown, and dark green.
I really like them but (apologies to 2010 Pitti Uomo) the only style I think works is a chore coat. Evan Kinori started making them about 5ish years ago and they are amazing. Percival makes one that is about a third of the cost (about $255 with the code xmas50). I like the flapped chest pockets of Evan's better, but Percival's is still very cool, and made in London.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Idk, I've got a loose db raglan belted coat (similar to that De Bonne Facture Grandpa coat) in a very boring and unflashy navy casentino, feels fairly inconspicuous and easy to wear to me (though it's generally worn with sw&d leaning outfits). I mostly use it as a beater/bad weather wool coat, that's what casentino wool is made for after all, bonus point the cloth already looks trashed and can take a beating.

Not a fan of the overly dressy models, be it the Pitti horrors or the traditional green/orange stuff. The more rustic the better.

Also, I'm probably a bit of a coat addict so versatility is not really on my radar, definitely not a top 5 coat if you're on that minimalist kick

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you all feel about casentino coats?

I am still struggling to figure out how I feel about them. One week I'm for them, the next week they seem gimmicky.

Scratchy horse blanket, or cool tuscan tweed?

Would you all use one as a "versatile" coat, or a flashy piece? If so, what colour?

I've waffled between camel, dark brown, and dark green.

I am not huge fan, especially not in lighter colors where the texture becomes a little much to me. I imagine it could look good in dark brown, but for me the real question is why you would choose that over some other cloth?

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Black Ivy book seems really cool. I’ve looked up to jazz musicians as style icons ever since I was a kid.

Attachments

• BE5D513F-B940-4D39-8A5F-67641C19E787.jpeg
    BE5D513F-B940-4D39-8A5F-67641C19E787.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 69

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not huge fan, especially not in lighter colors where the texture becomes a little much to me. I imagine it could look good in dark brown, but for me the real question is why you would choose that over some other cloth?
That’s interesting because I think casentino really shines in the lighter or bolder colors but is less convincing in dark brown or navy. It’s all about the texture when you pick that fabric so why hide it in a dark color

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s interesting because I think casentino really shines in the lighter or bolder colors but is less convincing in dark brown or navy. It’s all about the texture when you pick that fabric so why hide it in a dark color

Yeah I’m maybe the wrong person to weigh in. But I think this rubinacci coat looks good in brown casentino.

1638628995076.jpeg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like them but (apologies to 2010 Pitti Uomo) the only style I think works is a chore coat. Evan Kinori started making them about 5ish years ago and they are amazing. Percival makes one that is about a third of the cost (about $255 with the code xmas50). I like the flapped chest pockets of Evan's better, but Percival's is still very cool, and made in London.
These look really nice in green and surprisingly black as well.
Idk, I've got a loose db raglan belted coat (similar to that De Bonne Facture Grandpa coat) in a very boring and unflashy navy casentino, feels fairly inconspicuous and easy to wear to me (though it's generally worn with sw&d leaning outfits). I mostly use it as a beater/bad weather wool coat, that's what casentino wool is made for after all, bonus point the cloth already looks trashed and can take a beating.

Not a fan of the overly dressy models, be it the Pitti horrors or the traditional green/orange stuff. The more rustic the better.

Also, I'm probably a bit of a coat addict so versatility is not really on my radar, definitely not a top 5 coat if you're on that minimalist kick
I'm also a coat addict, which is why I'm asking this thread. I wouldn't call myself a minimalist, but I try and plan my purchases these days.

I was thinking one in a polo/ulster coat style. Green interests me, pylon orange doesn't.
The teddy bear vibes and fuzzy nature of the cloth is what I like. Apparently it's coarse, and not soft like I thought. That's ok though, I don't mind.

It's also surprisingly cheap. TACS quoted me at 25euros/metre, and 60 euros for shipping. A rustic, hardwearing cloth with a unique look, and is a cheap cloth? Very attractive for me.

I was also looking at the Rubinacci coats in navy, dark brown, and dark green.
the-rake-jamie-ferguson-simon-crompton-peaked-caps-x.jpg

That was my original logic too. I was thinking to just get a casentino in a camel colour vs. a camelhair polo coat + a casentino coat.

tumblr_inline_munzypbKr01ql3e37.jpg

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those that have the Wrangler dress jeans @dieworkwear and @lefty did they stretch at all? I sized up in the waist but the thighs are a bit too slim. If not, I can always return and size up more, and take in the waist.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For those that have the Wrangler dress jeans @dieworkwear and @lefty did they stretch at all? I sized up in the waist but the thighs are a bit too slim. If not, I can always return and size up more, and take in the waist.

I sized so they're not tight on me, so there's no real reason they'd stretch. I normally wear a size 30 in pants and ended up with a 34 on these. I think most people go up at least two sizes (so if they wear a 30, they take a 32). But I didn't like how tight the thigh and waist felt on the 32, so I went up to a 34.

My impression is that these are hard to size in waist and inseam, so people order different sizes and return. Kind of wasteful, I know.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It took awhile to figure out size. I'm typically a 36 and got into a 36 but they were tight. Cowboy tight according to my wife who looked me up and down and said, "damn." I bought 38 and there is a good amount of room in the waist. 37 would be perfect but not such luck.

I would say there's no stretch at all. I wear them for a few days and toss in a hot wash then dry the hell of them. No shrink as well.

These pants will be around for much longer than we will.

lefty

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The teddy bear vibes and fuzzy nature of the cloth is what I like. Apparently it's coarse, and not soft like I thought. That's ok though, I don't mind.

It's also surprisingly cheap. TACS quoted me at 25euros/metre, and 60 euros for shipping. A rustic, hardwearing cloth with a unique look, and is a cheap cloth? Very attractive for me.

It's still pretty soft and a bit spongey to the touch, not really scratchy or horse blanketish. Also surprisingly lightweight, flimsy-seeming even, compared to things like loden which sort of shares a similar lineage as rustic performance cloth. You can sort of see how light and drapey it is on Crompton's Rubinacci, I personally think this works better for bathrobe-adjacent coats but I'd probably want something beefier for an ulster coat and the likes.

For unadulterated teddy bear vibes, you need lama or alpaca at the least.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's still pretty soft and a bit spongey to the touch, not really scratchy or horse blanketish. Also surprisingly lightweight, flimsy-seeming even, compared to things like loden which sort of shares a similar lineage as rustic performance cloth. You can sort of see how light and drapey it is on Crompton's Rubinacci, I personally think this works better for bathrobe-adjacent coats but I'd probably want something beefier for an ulster coat and the likes.

For unadulterated teddy bear vibes, you need lama or alpaca at the least.
Thanks for more added cloth details. I'm in no rush, so I can mull this for a year or two.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a more serious note, anyone know where I can buy casentino by the meter?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads