• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Going to finally give Proper Cloth a try. Any thoughts or experience on either of these 3 ocbd fabrics? Think I may like the shade of the Thomas mason the best.

You prob know this but they allow you to order fabric swatches. Each swatch is $1, but the amount is then stored as store credit. So if you end up ordering a shirt, the swatch is free

StaticProgression

Reaction score
Going to finally give Proper Cloth a try. Any thoughts or experience on either of these 3 ocbd fabrics? Think I may like the shade of the Thomas mason the best.

No experience with those fabrics, but I'll throw Proper Cloth a +1 vote. They worked with me on a formal shirt for literally 5 months or so - while I wasn't pleased with the timeline, I was super pleased with the end result. I ended up meeting with my guy so much we would chat personal stuff for a few min on each zoom call before getting into the adjustments.

It feels like accessible MTM for the every-man; as someone who does not do MTM/custom or could really afford to, it was a really cool experience to get a shirt that fits literally just me and have a taste of that old world tailor-customer relationship. They did probably 3-4 remakes for me, one was a particularly daring adjustment that they owned as their mistake but really wanted to try it out on me.

I overall am happy with the experience, it's so nice to know that for ~$100 I can just hit "order" on any color dress shirt now and get a custom fit. The quality is good and I think the options are great, they've got some really cool patterns. However, I would need to do a casual OCBD fitting as well now to get those.

StaticProgression

Reaction score
Ok, got a mystery for you detectives out there. Been watching this piece for a long time, waiting for one to come along:

http://soc-la.com/item.php?c=1991

1634652892163.png

Anyways, I found one on Ebay direct from Japan, used, for a great deal. However, one problem: It's a size 44 (they size by number, which doesn't necessarily correspond to the chest size). To my knowledge, no one carried a 44 in the US, so I can't know the exact measurements. However, according to Self Edge, who stocked a different color of it, in 42, which theoretically should be smaller, and that measures 45" chest. https://www.selfedge.com/jackets-vests/stevenson-overall-co?product_id=2697

But, the seller insists the chest measurement is 44", I even messaged them to confirm this in writing and they're sticking to it. Free returns, and if it's wrong, I can start an Ebay dispute. But my question is:

Is it possible that, in Japan, the 44 is actually smaller than the ones they made for the rest of world markets, and the jacket I bought is a true JDM piece? Or is this person just mis-measuring and I am going to get a huge jacket (for me, ~41" chest here). Taking bets/curious if anyone understands Japanese production vs. what they send off to us.

Last edited:

emiratiAL

Reaction score
Years ago I was in Japan and picked up a pair of jeans at a time when I wasn't that fussed about clothes.

They were the typical 32" waist I normally go for, but every other element of the product was unforgivingly tight and exceptionally slim in comparison to the same size of the same brand purchased elsewhere.

StaticProgression

Reaction score
Years ago I was in Japan and picked up a pair of jeans at a time when I wasn't that fussed about clothes.

They were the typical 32" waist I normally go for, but every other element of the product was unforgivingly tight and exceptionally slim in comparison to the same size of the same brand purchased elsewhere.

I know Japan sizing can be that way, but in this case, it's from the same brand. I am trying to figure out (and only time may tell when it arrives) if they made a whole sizing set for japan completely different than for the rest of world, which is the only way the jacket could be the sizing of their Large as technically a XXL.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Of those 3, I prefer the basic 'heavy oxford.' The Pima one is too thick (it bothers me in part because the collar linings they use, even the "light" ones, add heft to the collar, etc., and I just don't like that, especially on an OCBD). The Thomas Mason one is a finer cloth; it's silkier which is nice, but also thinner. I find the 'heavy oxford' is the right combo of thickness, texture, and hand feel. That it's the cheapest is a bonus.

Sammm

Reaction score
I find the cheaper ‘heavy oxford’ to feel quite cheap and stiff, personally. It gets softer with washing but never feels fantastic to me. The Pima quality is much nicer – thicker but soft, and wrinkles less. I’ve tried about 6 different oxford ranges from PC and the Pima is my favorite by far.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Derek @dieworkwear wrote about 5-pocket cords, and I can't seem to find the article. I looked on PTO and his site, but no luck.

I am looking to add some casual pants that work in a variety of fits, mostly RRL and the occasional sport coat. I have a pair of 5 pocket cords in gray, and some khaki's but I need a couple more colors/cloths like moleskin and canvas.

What color/cloth/cut combinations does everyone like?

-DL

Leiker

Reaction score
Derek @dieworkwear wrote about 5-pocket cords, and I can't seem to find the article. I looked on PTO and his site, but no luck.

I am looking to add some casual pants that work in a variety of fits, mostly RRL and the occasional sport coat. I have a pair of 5 pocket cords in gray, and some khaki's but I need a couple more colors/cloths like moleskin and canvas.

-DL
I'd be tempted to go for varying shades of gray, haha. I find gray pants to be so versatile and easy to pair things with. Kind of like having various shades of denim jeans.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

-DL
Lately I've been wearing cream/off-white denim and olive moleskin 5 pockets a lot

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like ecru/off white, white, tan, brown, olive. Feel like with cords you can do without grey.

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Mr. Dieworkwear specifically mentioned I fhink that cords should not be in gray

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of dark grey cords from Taylor Stitch that I like. I don't generally like the look of lighter grey cords.

I have a dark/chocolate brown pair from Ralph Lauren (fairly old, before they stopped making anything but low rise). I have a khaki/light brown pair from Sid Mashburn that are also great.

I find these very tempting as something a little different:

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

-DL

these two colors in a brushed cotton look really nice from doppiaa.

other than that, i'd say navy and off-white. if you're really looking for something different, i have a pair of 5 pockets cords in a dusty red are fun to put on every so often.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads