• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

StaticProgression

Reaction score
Scratchy wool overshirts are one thing that should have stayed in the past IMO.

I'd return it personally. A baggier cotton flannel shirt in plaid, or an LL Bean chamois shirt would be a good alternative. You can find used ones in great condition on Etsy. They're bulletproof and will likely outlive you.

On that note, I think cotton is also better than wool for robes. I bought a nice wool robe, but ran into the same itchy situation as you.

Glad to hear someone shares that sentiment. I felt dumb but it's an overshirt, not rocket science - it shouldn't be so hard to wear. the product photos always sell it well. Thanks!

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Question: What do people wear with wool overshirts? I feel like these look awesome in catalogs etc. but I now have one and cannot figure out how to wear it - a t shirt looks great but it's so scratchy, and a long sleeve gets that dreaded pull on the internal sleeves and just in general creates that classic "long sleeve under hoodie bunching" problem.

Am I someone who just has a wool irritation and no one else has this issue, or does anyone have recommendations for sub-layers that work well? Thanks!

Below is the TS overshirt I have that displays the actual usage problems for me - #1 is short sleeve, #2 is just impractical (doesn't get that cold down here, and honestly, I couldn't move my arms around with that much on. I've tried)

https://huckberry.imgix.net/spree/products/330635/original/YvbxK1k7lG_taylor-stitch_the_explorers_shirt-wool_5_original.jpg?auto=format%2Ccompress&crop=top&fit=clip&cs=tinysrgb&w=600&ixlib=react-9.0.2&h=600&w=600

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0b/50/28/0b502819e821d44022b6cdb623253982.jpg

I'd wear an ocbd under it. If sleeves are catching, get them lined?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear someone shares that sentiment. I felt dumb but it's an overshirt, not rocket science - it shouldn't be so hard to wear. the product photos always sell it well. Thanks!
Yeah man, realistically you'll end up wearing those kind of overshirts over a t-shirt, so having a scratchy layer is pretty miserable.

Really going to harp about the LL Bean Chamois shirts. They're quite dense and are probably what most people want in an overshirt. They feel fuzzy, cozy, and even a bit stiff.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Preaching to the choir. Even at those temps, the wind is intense here. That alone would make you look ridiculous if you wore your coat open, it would be flapping all over the place.

Not sure how windy NYC gets.

The wind is worse in the City than it is in the suburbs because the buildings create wind tunnels.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Scratchy wool overshirts are one thing that should have stayed in the past IMO.
I had a Pendleton shirt that I loved but always struggled with this. Coarse wool against skin is very uncomfortable.

Really going to harp about the LL Bean Chamois shirts. They're quite dense and are probably what most people want in an overshirt. They feel fuzzy, cozy, and even a bit stiff.
I grew up with these, and they are the definition of a flannel shirt for me.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The wind is worse in the City than it is in the suburbs because the buildings create wind tunnels.
Yeah, no chance I'd wear a coat open then unless it was spring or fall.
I had a Pendleton shirt that I loved but always struggled with this. Coarse wool against skin is very uncomfortable.

I didn't even discover them until I read a couple PutThisOn articles.

I always wanted to like plaid flannels, but I never liked how they looked. Everyone wears them in the Prairies, so I became jaded to the lumberjack look.

I can appreciate some blackwatch flannel though, that plaid isn't seen often here.

StaticProgression

Reaction score

The LL Bean Chamois' look legit. Gonna try to thrift one off ebay or something to test out. the Signature line has such pleasing plaids.

Leiker

Reaction score
Question: What do people wear with wool overshirts? I feel like these look awesome in catalogs etc. but I now have one and cannot figure out how to wear it - a t shirt looks great but it's so scratchy, and a long sleeve gets that dreaded pull on the internal sleeves and just in general creates that classic "long sleeve under hoodie bunching" problem.

Am I someone who just has a wool irritation and no one else has this issue, or does anyone have recommendations for sub-layers that work well? Thanks!

Below is the TS overshirt I have that displays the actual usage problems for me - #1 is short sleeve, #2 is just impractical (doesn't get that cold down here, and honestly, I couldn't move my arms around with that much on. I've tried)

https://huckberry.imgix.net/spree/products/330635/original/YvbxK1k7lG_taylor-stitch_the_explorers_shirt-wool_5_original.jpg?auto=format%2Ccompress&crop=top&fit=clip&cs=tinysrgb&w=600&ixlib=react-9.0.2&h=600&w=600

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0b/50/28/0b502819e821d44022b6cdb623253982.jpg
A long sleeve tshirt or long sleeve henley?

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No wool allergy, but, at the same time, no time for clothes that are not con for table either.

For overshirts/“shackets”, depending on the fit, I wear them over short sleeved tees, long sleeved tees, and a few that a more jacket, than shirt, wear them over a button down….. I have a brushed cotton flannel from drakes, that is super soft and cozy, and a piece from Tony Shirts in a brushed wool that feels great over a tee. I had one in scratchier wool, that I sent to luxe swap since I would never wear it.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@hpreston I actually got rid of all my scratchy wool overshirts for that reason. I have a high tolerance for wool but the old Pendleton’s were just too much. Although I really like them, as well as the TS shirts you posted (I used to have that cranberry one), they were impractical as I had to dry clean them every time they got dirty. So I switched to washable heavy cotton flannels (if I’m actually working in them) or soft wool blends (as overshirts). If you like TS, every so often they do make uber soft wool blend overshirts, so stay on the lookout.

If a wholesale change isn’t an option, you can always wear a tee, henley, waffle thermal, or chamois shirt. OCBDs are OK but I find they don’t jive well with woolly overshirts.

jaaz16

Reaction score
A follow-up flannel question for you all (thanks again for the previous insights). Tl;dr version: Does the temperature of gray flannel matter for pairing with navy--i.e., can a warmer gray flannel pair with a navy sport coat and/or knits?

One of Derek's older articles helpfully shows the value of pairing temperatures (with some exceptions, such as accessories—“navy ties go with everything”). But I wasn’t entirely sure how that works for the classic (basic?) navy coat-gray trousers workhorse combination.

Now on to the me-specific question: I'm considering some mid-gray flannel trousers that are on the warmer side. Putting them up against navy doesn’t give me the same reaction I had to the photo of Simon in Derek’s article (cool gray trousers and warm tan coat), but I wasn’t sure if I was missing some of the subtleties.

7464DFA8-AA7D-4D77-9628-7E2DC60A6356.jpeg
8A71745E-3700-4CA1-9D8B-00225AF69DED.jpeg
293F1EB4-D24D-4272-B6EB-E1F3AC8DF968.jpeg
4E8CD05A-D606-435A-9958-E0CD510A30CB.jpeg

A109B776-F09A-4179-84B3-5B8E7C4C57C2.jpeg
34FC4685-3233-4471-A908-445274F3D1DF.jpeg
31795278-A954-402B-8A32-591697575D63.jpeg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of Derek's older articles helpfully shows the value of pairing temperatures (with some exceptions, such as accessories—“navy ties go with everything”). But I wasn’t entirely sure how that works for the classic (basic?) navy coat-gray trousers workhorse combination.

FWIW, after wearing a classic grey flannel as my go-too for decades, I find a lighter colored dove grey flannel to be my favorite with a navy blazer. I think it looks a bit less "old guy going to church" or security guard. I lighter grey flannel also looks a bit more "sporty" or styled (?) when worn with a great sweater and no jacket. I have a rack of shades of grey trousers and I pretty find myself only reaching for this lighter shade anymore. I'd suggest considering a lighter shade.

grey.jpeg

StaticProgression

Reaction score
A follow-up flannel question for you all (thanks again for the previous insights). Tl;dr version: Does the temperature of gray flannel matter for pairing with navy--i.e., can a warmer gray flannel pair with a navy sport coat and/or knits?

Now on to the me-specific question: I'm considering some mid-gray flannel trousers that are on the warmer side. Putting them up against navy doesn’t give me the same reaction I had to the photo of Simon in Derek’s article (cool gray trousers and warm tan coat), but I wasn’t sure if I was missing some of the subtleties.

This is all a matter of opinion of course, and I like the first reply's opinion. But to speak to your specific question about the trousers you're working with, I like them. The texture really looks good, and I don't mind that at all. I agree with the general sentiment of mid to light gray trousers, though. Yours fall into that range for me. (love the split toes, btw)

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score

A warmer grey can go very well with navy. You could even do taupe (warmer than gray) or brown (even warmer) with navy.

As far as value, though, I prefer a darker gray. Not charcoal, but darker somewhere between mid-gray and charcoal. Lighter gray is a little too bright IMO and makes the legs stand out more than is preferable. I also thinker darker is more urbane.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

All those combos look good to me. Not sure I would describe that gray as warm though. Maybe neutral?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads