• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perfect timing with the grey herringbone sport coat convo! I'm going up to The Armoury next week for a fitting on my grey herringbone Harris Tweed jacket. I'm basically going for a copy of Vox's jacket in DWWs post above, which is a slightly darker herringbone than the standard 'salt and pepper' one that is frequently seen, a more close up version of the fabric can been seen on Steed's IG profile for a different client.

I plan to wear it with jeans, British khaki trousers, navy blue and light brown cords, and eventually want to get a pair of light grey flannels to go with it.

I don't really have an extensive trouser collection, so in my book as long as as a jacket goes with 3 or more trousers its pretty versatile in my own wardrobe context.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally like other options to a classic grey herringbone. It takes some scouting but they are out there especially if you are less interested in the 60's Ivy look. Here are a few that I found to be more interesting:
1) Donegal tweed with a mix of autumnal flecks. It mixes well with knits and jeans to grey flannels. A bit more of a sporty look IMO.
2) A large scale herringbone is a twist on the vintage style. It looks updated, to me. I also have one in a cream and brown large scale herringbone

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Urgha Loom Shed has some lovely solids right now with mustard or brown as a secondary shade, which to my eyes could make for a really interesting odd jacket.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Urgha Loom Shed has some lovely solids right now with mustard or brown as a secondary shade, which to my eyes could make for a really interesting odd jacket.

She has some really great stuff, snagged one of her last official Harris Tweed runs last year in a nicely colored brown tweed (bottom swatch) that is waiting to be made up for next fall/winter.

Its amazing the cost of independently produced Harris Tweed compared to some of the well know merchants/mills (looking at you Fox Bros). Both of the ones I've acquired have been sub 25GBp per meter of half width (75cm) and very reasonable shipping....I've essentially been able to snag whole jacket lengths for 125-150 GBP including shipping

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Oxford shirts, can you guys recommend some that aren’t particularly heavy and are more casual? I have plenty of Brooks Bros Black Fleece OCBDs and would like something lighter weight and more casual. They can’t be prewashed, stretch, or very expensive because I basically work in a factory.

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Oxford shirts, can you guys recommend some that aren’t particularly heavy and are more casual? I have plenty of Brooks Bros Black Fleece OCBDs and would like something lighter weight and more casual. They can’t be prewashed, stretch, or very expensive because I basically work in a factory.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have no experience with these, but they look kind of interesting:

#dadcore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
B6CBB188-C220-49F3-8BF4-7B4ECA4BDC70.jpeg

Not EG but one time I waited for 2 hours in the dead of winter for a locksmith after I locked my keys in the car only to realize they were in some weird pocket on a Barbour Tokito jacket.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why my bespoke suits' pants have no rear pockets. Life is complex enough already

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've settled on Drake's, which are medium weight but they aren't inexpensive. Kamakura sizing is really hard to nail down and ultimately didn't work for me. I have a friend who buys his from Costco at like $50 each I think and they seem alright if you're not worried about igent status. Not sure about the weight.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great recommendations on oxfords. I wound up buying a few from JCrew because I can’t really care too much about them. Plus, medium tall!
:hide:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads