• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So yesterday I had heavy flannel on my mind. IH and TFH have not dropped their FW flannels and while I have not seen what TFH has to offer, the IH colors were not singing to me. After a couple glasses of wine I checked out UES again even though everything I liked in my size has been sold out for about a month. Well gentlemen, their extra heavy indigo flannel was back in stock so I ordered it as quickly as I could type my payment info in. This thing is overkill but I love it.

Also woke up this morning to the shop just double checking sizing before sending out the order. My wife rolled her eyes as I triple checked the sizing just in case.

goods_1208_1.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a favorite zip front cardy to recommend?

My all-time favorite was a full zip 4 ply cashmere from Fedeli. Gran Sasso makes some in wool and wool/silk blends that are quite nice and far more affordable than cashmere. Paul Stuart often carries full zip cardigans. I'm heading to NYC for a week and will be shopping around hoping to pick up one or two for Fall/Winter.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andersen-Andersen
This was a reply to @imatlas asking about zip front cardigans. The Andersen-Andersen looks great but is very heavy. If you want maximum comfort, I would go with another brand. If you want something very durable for outdoor activities and don't mind a heavy sweater, then AA might be for you.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
This was a reply to @imatlas asking about zip front cardigans. The Andersen-Andersen looks great but is very heavy. If you want maximum comfort, I would go with another brand. If you want something very durable for outdoor activities and don't mind a heavy sweater, then AA might be for you.

I have a beefy cashmere rollneck w/ a half zip that is similar to these. I wear it a couple of times a year at most, it's just too freaking heavy for CA winters.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a beefy cashmere rollneck w/ a half zip that is similar to these. I wear it a couple of times a year at most, it's just too freaking heavy for CA winters.

The lighter weight wool Gran Sasso full zip fronts would be an ideal weight for you in the Bay Area. Khakis of Carmel carries them.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
The lighter weight wool Gran Sasso full zip fronts would be an ideal weight for you in the Bay Area. Khakis of Carmel carries them.

Doesn't look like they do anymore:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look like they do anymore:

They are under their house brand/label

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does this mean you’re not bringing S&C shawl collars back? ?
Oh we are. They’re still letting S&C continue their stuff as well for now.

we have 7 colors of lambswool shawl cardigans, 4 colors of donegal shawl, and even 2 color of 12-ply cashmere shawl cardigans.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@jah786 said he was interested in maybe doing some Shaker knits in the future and he generally (maybe exclusively?) uses American manufacturers. (For those who may not know, he's the man behind American Trench.)
Dredging this conversation back up, I see that American Trench does indeed have quaker stitch knits now. Looks nice

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think this has become the general discussion thread of sartorial matters that Derek might write or has written about? He's certainly written a bit about ecru. I thought I would take the plunge on a shirt but it's hard to figure out the right tone. Here are three fabrics photographed against a white sheet of paper. The very yellow fabric is left out since I think that's too yellow to count. I worry that the top Oxford might be too "dirty" but that the twill might be creamy but maybe too yellow. Obviously light matters, but I am focusing on the sliver of white paper between the two fabrics to be "white"
Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 8.52.33 PM.png
. Assuming the colors are close enough to reality...

Thoughts on Ecru? Fabrics that you've like for tweed shirting, non-white options?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads