• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those interested in a Cashmere Cardigan, Simon over at Permanent Style is getting another run of their 12-ply Anderson Sheppard cardigans in the coming weeks. Based on what I can find, they are a bit heavier than a 6-ply Drake's cardigan but the weave of the fabric is a little looser.

I am going back and forth on ordering an Iron Heart flannel as I continually go back to that piece from 2019 or a big chunky A&S cardigan. The cardigan is more rare and harder to get your hands on but at a current exchange rate in the $1K-$1.1K range, it is a big ask and my wife rolled her eyes. "For a f-ing sweater?!?"

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For those interested in a Cashmere Cardigan, Simon over at Permanent Style is getting another run of their 12-ply Anderson Sheppard cardigans in the coming weeks. Based on what I can find, they are a bit heavier than a 6-ply Drake's cardigan but the weave of the fabric is a little looser.

I am going back and forth on ordering an Iron Heart flannel as I continually go back to that piece from 2019 or a big chunky A&S cardigan. The cardigan is more rare and harder to get your hands on but at a current exchange rate in the $1K-$1.1K range, it is a big ask and my wife rolled her eyes. "For a f-ing sweater?!?"

I don't have any experience with the chunky cashmere versions of those cardigans, but I have the lambswool Lockie, lambswool Scott & Charters, and a few Iron Heart Ultra-Heavy Flannels.

The cardigans feel much dressier to me, even though I only wear them at home. They feel more "CM," whereas the Iron Heart flannels are more workwear. I would wear the shawl collar cardigans with jeans, chinos, five-pocket cords, flannels, tailored trousers, etc. Whereas, I only wear my Iron Hearts UHFs with raw denim jeans. I suppose you can also wear them with fatigues, but I never do. It fits the vibe though.

Sometimes I have to do work around my home during the fall/ winter, in which case I'll wear the Iron Heart. I would be worried about snagging the cardigan while working in the backyard, whereas the Iron Heart is basically a very thick work shirt.

The cardigan makes me feel fancy; the Iron Heart makes me feel rugged.

The cashmere versions seem nice, although, at 12-ply, I would think about whether the temperature in my home gets cold enough to wear such a thick cashmere garment. Even the four- and six-ply lambswools are quite warm.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been looking the cardigans from Kent Wang as a more affordable option, what are your thoughts on these?

48739226457_47b7cb9dec_k.jpg

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear - Just turn the thermostat to fit your fit. My life is leaning more casual these days and picked up a Flat Head flannel based on your rec. May end up snagging a 4-ply lambs wool cardigan and a flannel so I can cover both bases.

@Mercurio - I have a Kent Wang in white and it is decent for the $200 price. It is thick and warm but not overly so that it is hard to wear inside. I do not have experience in the S&C $400-$500 realm but felt Kent Wang was worth it

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@jbarwick, thank you for your comment. May I ask if you bought your usual size or sized-up, as they recommend?

"No vanity sizing, so select one size larger than what you usually wear in most American brands".

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've owned a few different full zip front cardigans that look as good with flannels and a dress shirt as they do a t-shirt and jeans. They have a somewhat sporty style that works with both ends of the spectrum. More so than the classic shawl collar buttoned cardigan IMO. I also own a Drake's shawl cardigan but I find I wear the full zips much more often due to their versatility.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Mercurio - I have a Kent Wang in white and it is decent for the $200 price. It is thick and warm but not overly so that it is hard to wear inside. I do not have experience in the S&C $400-$500 realm but felt Kent Wang was worth it
Thank you for your comment, may I ask if you bought your usual size or sized-up, as they recommend?

"No vanity sizing, so select one size larger than what you usually wear in most American brands".
[/QUOTE]

I am 6’1” and 180lbs. And for most brands I am a 40-42R. I went with a Large in the Kent Wang cardigan and it fits well without being overly slouchy. It wears like the picture you posted of it.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spier & Mackay dropped a bunch of shawl cardigans in merino wool.

Don't own one, but ended up ordering one. I have heard that they pill eventually, but pilling doesn't bother me.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard these are scratchy lambswool?
Probably it's scratchy, but nonetheless, I don't mind the feel of lambswool, I have some crew neck sweaters that I wouldn't wear on my skin, always over a shirt or a light turtleneck.

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
@dieworkwear - Just turn the thermostat to fit your fit. My life is leaning more casual these days and picked up a Flat Head flannel based on your rec. May end up snagging a 4-ply lambs wool cardigan and a flannel so I can cover both bases.

San Francisco rarely gets below 50 degrees; he might have to run an air conditioner to get it cold enough.

I've owned a few different full zip front cardigans that look as good with flannels and a dress shirt as they do a t-shirt and jeans. They have a somewhat sporty style that works with both ends of the spectrum. More so than the classic shawl collar buttoned cardigan IMO. I also own a Drake's shawl cardigan but I find I wear the full zips much more often due to their versatility.

I had one of these in a ribbed cotton knit that was a great look on its own or under a jacket, but I wore it out.

Anyone have a favorite zip front cardy to recommend?

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
San Francisco rarely gets below 50 degrees; he might have to run an air conditioner to get it cold enough.

I had one of these in a ribbed cotton knit that was a great look on its own or under a jacket, but I wore it out.

Anyone have a favorite zip front cardy to recommend?
Inis Meain
Andersen-Andersen

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads