• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing that article glosses over too quickly is the difference between the cellulosic fibers like rayon. If you care about sustainability, which hopefully you do, lyocell/tencel is by far the best. Basic rayon or viscose uses some pretty nasty solvents and chemicals that generally aren't recaptured. Bamboo lyocell is the most sustainable.
That's my understanding as well. And the Wythe shirt is tencel btw, not rayon

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I thought Tencel is a branded name for lyocell and lyocell is a type of rayon, no? I thought rayon is the umbrella category and there are many different types and brands under that.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tencel is indeed a brand of lyocell. They're all made from extracting cellulose from wood pulp (or sometimes other sources such as bamboo). Rayon was the first fabric made this way, but the process and performance of the different textiles varies a fair amount. Lyocell/Tencel is more sustainable and is better than rayon at wicking and evaporating moisture, and is therefore less likely to pick up body odors. Rayon was the first textile made this way, but there are big differences between Tencel and rayon that you can buy today.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember Peter from Wythe telling us he specifically wanted to use tencel for these because it's a more sustainable and water/power efficient fiber than other rayon options

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just finished up an article on fashion consumption, which ended with a bit on Compulsive Buying Disorder.

Sounds interesting - if it's not behind a paywall, I'd be interested in reading it. Do you have a link?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Love the idea of including the Spotify playlist that corresponds to the theme of the post. I feel like I always have certain kind of music in mind when thinking of the emotional connections to certain kinds of clothes. Really cool, some great tunes included on the Ranch playlist.

Any other Roper boot suggestions? I’ll probably never be able to go full cowboy boot but like the idea of something other than service boots to pair with something like a Cowichan or RRL cardigan over a chambray or flannel shirt and some jeans.

Really hope I didn't post this a few pages back, but cross posting from another thread. These are Rios of Mercedes. Unfussy. Basic. Well made. Link here.
rios1.jpeg
You're welcome.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@dieworkwear Derek/ others, do you have any recommendations for interesting clothing stores worth a visit in Houston, TX?

Assuming you're after workwear, the only place I think you'd find anything worth your effort is Manready Mercentile in the Heights. They carry a lot of great stuff, including Freenote and Indigofera, and do a really good job with vintage looking t-shirts and stuff. Very helpful staff, and there's some great restaurants within walking distance as well.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear Derek/ others, do you have any recommendations for interesting clothing stores worth a visit in Houston, TX?

Sid Mashburn is worth a visit if just for the experience. Good resale shop in West University area called "Men's Resale by the Village" where you can find some high end Italian stuff and good footwear. Seems like the other SF-approved stuff comes and goes every couple of years and I'm not up to date on it at the moment.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Turner thesis, the 1893 Chicago World's Fair, semiotics – you're only confirming my suspicion that you were an American Studies major and not the daytime economist you would have us all believe.

Great article, Derek, and informative. I did not realize the history of the cowboy, despite having spent half my life in Texas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads