• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a pair of the Birdwell board shorts and they're great! No mesh liner, $80. The 33's measure 34.5 in the waist - there's no stretch in the fabric. Have been looking for something like this for ages - love them!

I believe they're a DWW approved brand :)

View attachment 1629637

Based on the above post and subsequent discussion, I have bought myself a pair of Birdwell board shorts. Thanks, everyone.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they're still made in Southern California.

I was out with someone the other day and they were wearing a cool Birdwell face mask. We ended up getting into a convo about Birdwell and my friend said that he bumped into the company owner many years ago. The guy said he had just bought the company and was looking to produce everything in Santa Ana.

Agree they make cool swim shorts.
I'm more into Katin, which is still owned by the former seamstress that worked for the deceased founders.
Fantastic, dumpy old store in Sunset Beach.

Nbarbar

Reaction score
A guy in Manhattan Beach bought the company. It used to be run by the family that founded it - you could call them and the matriarch would answer the phone at the factory, and you could actually go the the headquarters and buy trunks, or get them made to order. I think they still have the same factory, and I think there's a store at the headquarters, as well as a store in Manhattan Beach (I bought some cord shorts at the Manhattan Beach store a few weeks ago.) They eliminated a lot of the oddball colors, many of which were my favorites (watermelon! coral! :inlove: ). And they changed the fit to vanity sizing, they used to be extremely TTS. The fly is now a button fly rather than velcro, which I thikn is a plus actually. They have a stretch fabric available too, as well as the original non stretch nylon.
They were bought by Matt Jacobson, Facebook employee number 19 or so. I'm not sure if he is retired fully from FB now but he basically surfs, sits on the board of Leica and buys watches, brands and buildings.
He owns one of my favorite buildings in the USA, The Doolittle House
Kendrick-Bangs-Kellogg-Doolittle-House-01-House-Off-Prop-3-Ph.Lance-Gerber.jpg

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They were bought by Matt Jacobson, Facebook employee number 19 or so. I'm not sure if he is retired fully from FB now but he basically surfs, sits on the board of Leica and buys watches, brands and buildings.
Geez. Haven’t felt this jealous in a while.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He's not retired and definitely has some cool watches :redface:

Nbarbar

Reaction score
He's not retired and definitely has some cool watches :redface:
Geez. Haven’t felt this jealous in a while.
Yea, I’ve met a few friends of his and they all say he is lovely. Nice to see those FB shares being spent on beautiful things, not sure Zuc has similar aesthetic values….

on the Doolittle house, I shot there once and it ranked with Utzons Sydney Opera house for me in terms of beauty. If you are everin Joshua Tree it’s an easy visit. You can’t enter the property but it’s very public and worth stopping to see the house and blow up doll in the police cruiser parked at the top of the driveway. It’s a decoy to keep architectural peeping toms out!

Attachments

• 7DB6B0DC-BC86-4B64-803B-A27075E4F56F.jpeg
    7DB6B0DC-BC86-4B64-803B-A27075E4F56F.jpeg
    352.2 KB · Views: 106
  • A8909012-A1F4-41AE-9C03-230281097BC5.jpeg
    A8909012-A1F4-41AE-9C03-230281097BC5.jpeg
    263.9 KB · Views: 108

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking at Birdwell and I think y’all just confirmed it, thanks for the suggestions everyone!

What's a baby diaper liner? Is it just your way to say you don't like swimwear mesh liners or is it something else?
I couldn’t think of any way to describe the shape of the normal mesh liner. I am not opposed to a liner, the mesh material just seems to give me a rash

JJ Katz

Reaction score
...one of my favorite buildings in the USA, The Doolittle House

I find this fascinating: the degree to which architectural preferences can vary.
If it's not too much trouble, I would really be interested in reading what aspects of this building you find so alluring.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm more into Katin, which is still owned by the former seamstress that worked for the deceased founders.
Fantastic, dumpy old store in Sunset Beach.

I really like Katin. Their graphic t-shirts have become my main t-shirts. Super soft, but pretty sturdy and durable fabric. They also have a lot of really great designs. I like their cord shorts too.

Nbarbar

Reaction score
I find this fascinating: the degree to which architectural preferences can vary.
If it's not too much trouble, I would really be interested in reading what aspects of this building you find so alluring.
That is a great question.
there is a branch of American architecture that grew from students of Frank Lloyd Wright. It includes great architect architects like Schindler, Lautner and lesser known ones like Bangs Kellog above.
I love the optimism embodied in their work.
Specifically this house, I find It’s ambitious on a scale unlike any other residential building, except perhaps Lautners, in the US.
It’s structurally incredible, the engineering is at Gaudi levels of ingenuity, each petal for example is self supporting with thin infill glass panes.
It’s also wholistic, the structural system of petals informs details all the way down to the bathroom taps. You feel as if you are inside a whole object, not an assembly of parts.
it’s beautifully crafted. The door handles are cast bronze with inlays of precious stone. The furniture is incredibly beautiful, and reflects the face that it took 20 years to build.

even if you don’t love it aesthetically, I hope the points above cast it in a new light. Have a look at photos online, it’s an incredible building.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like Katin. Their graphic t-shirts have become my main t-shirts. Super soft, but pretty sturdy and durable fabric. They also have a lot of really great designs. I like their cord shorts too.
Nice...
I just had a new pair of cord shorts delivered today.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
DWW any thoughts or comments on J Peterman?

I don't know, but this season is really appealing. I feel like I dismissed the brand forever. But then, this season, I started seriously looking at their catalog.

Right now, they have a British SBS Canoe smock for about $375

MOW_6980_OLIVE_B1.jpeg

A fishing jacket that reminds me of a cool piece from Naissance a few years ago (bummed I missed out on that piece). This is again $375, which is like the price of a sweater nowadays in fashion.

MOW_6966_GREEN_B1.jpeg

Corduroy Western shirts in three colors for like $110

MSH_6709_DARKSTONE_B1.jpeg

Tons of basic and classic sweaters starting around $100
MSW_6716_REDGRY_B1.jpeg
MSW5858_NAVY_B1_740x.jpeg

Potentially too slim, but also potentially good topcoat for $450
MOW_6732_GRYMIX_B1.jpeg

Anyway, could go on and on. I was going to write a post for PTO about it, but then it fell by the wayside. I used two of their jackets in a separate post about how to dress for the reopening. They have a 10% or 20% off coupon if you sign up for their newsletter. I think their offerings this season are interesting, but I've never bought anything from them.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, **** that guy. Jealous abounds!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads